Seat removal in Renault Trafic (1 Viewer)

Declan

Free Member
Apr 14, 2018
Funster No
Morning all, after a bit of advice from the knowledge bank....

I have replaced the front twin passenger and drivers seats in my renault trafic with two captain style seats. I now have the airbag light showing on the dash. I am aware that this is due to the pretensioners of the old seats having been disconnected. I have read that the solution is to fit a resistor into the two remaining wiring looms that previously connected to each seat and this will trick the van computer into thinking the pretensioners are connected and remove the fault light. I have also read that fitting the wrong resistor could set off the airbag..not sure if that is true, but I wouldn't like to find out!
So if anyone has done this successfully, I would welcome the help and advice....hope somone can help...thanks Dec

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Not much help I can give but it did occur to me that if you can measure the resistance of the pretensioners via their connections it might give you an idea of what value of resistor to fit?

Do you have a multimeter that can do this ?

It might also be a good idea to research the current value that resistors can handle to avoid getting the correct resistance value but a resistor that can not handle the current required?

Having said that I can't imagine the current requirement being very high , can you.
However, I am guessing the pretensioner connection with perhaps have heavier wires to handle the current required to activate the unit and separate wires for the sensing signal from the ECU and the decellerometer. So you might have 2 wires or 4.

Just food for thought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Declan

Free Member
Apr 14, 2018
Funster No
Hi Jake...thanks for the response. Unfortunately I disposed of the original pretensioners then read that on changing seats people remove the originals from the old seats, connect them up to the wiring loom and just tape them up under the rreplacemen seats.
Intending to do this I purchased replacement pretensioners from a scrappy with that intention. On connecting them up the airbag light remained on.
Having had an autoelectrician look at the wiring, he is of the belief that the replacement pretensioners are faulty as the resistance reading is high. He informs me that if they were correctly functioning he thinks the fault light would go out with no need to have the control unit reset.
Not wanting to purchase further pretensioners that could also be faulty I read about the resistor option on a forum. I have measured the resistance of the pretensioners and it comes in at 7.8 ohms which does seem high but I am no expert. The connection on the pretensioners has two blue wires into a brown connector and two brown wires connected together and sleeved.
I intend sending the pretensioners back to see if I can get my money back.
I am told that many may have come from vans that have had a smash in which airbags and pretensioners had been activated. That could cause the pretensioners to be faulty, but no way of knowing simply by a visual. It is for this reason that I am hoping the resistor method might work.
Hopefully someone can assist me further but thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 1523736643095583958375.jpg
    1523736643095583958375.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im sure they sell them on ebay might be worth searching on seat belt delete resistors or similar you could also ask on diymotorhome.com a mine of info for self builds

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Declan

Free Member
Apr 14, 2018
Funster No
Will do...having a look at the website now.

I have seen the resistors on ebay but mo seller seems able to advise what the correct resistance figure is. Not sure what will happen if I connect one that is higher or lower than required resistance.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Declan

Free Member
Apr 14, 2018
Funster No
Not sure re fuse....jusr seems too easy a solution. Everything I research mentions bypass resistors.Will have a look if there is a fuse on the circuit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back