Seat belts (1 Viewer)

vicki 123

Free Member
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
lookimg
Hi we have paid a deposit on a swift kontiki 665 this has side facing seats that was made befor seatbelts were compulsory in rear I have looked up all the information and it is not illegal to carry passengers in the rear as long as comply with all safety rules also my insurance said you will be covered and so would passengers my question is does any one know how this will effect us travelling in Europe as this is something we are longing to do , I have tried to google any advice but I haven’t been able to find much info was wondering if anyone has travelled to France in a similar configuration of that lay out

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Whether legal or not I would always ask "what if".

Seat belt son side facing seats are a no-no-no by the way.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
This sums it up fairly well. Sideways belts are dangerous to use, regardless of legality?

Advice on seatbelts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vicki 123

Free Member
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
lookimg
Yes I understand that and obviously we know the risk as it 4 adults travelling together and I know not allowed to add seat belts to a side facing seats but I’m really after the answer to being able to travel abroad in the vehicle as there must be hundreds of motor homes with the similar layouts

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes I understand that and obviously we know the risk as it 4 adults travelling together and I know not allowed to add seat belts to a side facing seats but I’m really after the answer to being able to travel abroad in the vehicle as there must be hundreds of motor homes with the similar layouts
"The use of seat belts in vehicles is compulsory for adults and children unless the vehicle was not fitted with them when it was manufactured. Unfortunately we cannot find any general guidance on side facing seats and have even tried contacting the French Consulate for advice, but to no avail.

However, EC Directive 2005/39/EC does say that all vehicles manufactured after 20th October 2007 must not have side facing seats for travel as it is unsafe, but as legislation cannot be applied retrospectively you theoretically do not need to have the seat belts and can use the seats for passengers should your motorhome have been manufactured prior to this date. One word of caution would be that it is impossible to know how local police will interpret the law.

We would advise that should you wish to travel to Europe, contact your insurance company to make them aware of the situation prior to going as some insurance policies will not cover for passengers not wearing a seat belt.

From a safety perspective, we would not recommend traveling anywhere un-belted with side facing seats and possibly would consider hiring a van that does meet all of the current laws."

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome 👍🏻
Most of the older vans with side facing seats are not used to carry passengers . It’s just isn’t worth the risk .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vicki 123

Free Member
Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
lookimg
Yes I have seen it but it is not legal to travel in it I’m really just after the advice for Europe

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I have seen it but it is not legal to travel in it I’m really just after the advice for Europe
My previous coachbuilt here in spain had only front seat belts. Here they state how many are allowed to legally travel in the vehicle & how many it can accommodate for sleeping .Mine was classed as 4 & 4 &
I could legally carry , & did , 2 people in the rear without belts.So you should not have a problem.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
"One word of caution would be that it is impossible to know how local police will interpret the law.
Which at best could be a warning but in the worst case could mean the vehicle being stopped from continuing on the journey with the unbelted passengers onboard .

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
my insurance said you will be covered
Lucky you :(
Our insurance vendor referred me to the V5C/log book's entry for number of seats including driver. That would be what I was covered for.
Our 4 berth Motorhome only has 2 belted seats so that meant no cover as that '2' was also our V5C entry.

How many seats are on your V5C? :think:

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Let’s face it having seen a few of these vehicles disintegrate in accidents I think it would be a blessing to get chucked out the windscreen 😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back