Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so our 2007 Bessacarr E560 which we are buying is 4 berth buy just has 2 seat belts installed in it on the front 2 seats.
there will most likley be only 2 people traveling when the motorhome is being used, but what is the law regarding a 3rd or 4th person traveling in the rear unbelted.
Both in the UK and in other parts of the EU

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Anyone travelling in the back must have a seat with a belt that's the law here and abroad,and if you think of the consequences if you had some one in the van and you had an accident you wouldn't even ask the question.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@Jim has written an article for this but I am buggered if i can find it and offer a link..
@Speve.. Without starting the debate but I think you are wrong on your statement. On some vehicles, (especially pre 2007 i think when there was a change). It is not illegal even if no seat belts fitted, not saying it's right or would advise it but not Illegal from all the info and threads that have gone around in past years..

This is a little dated BUT cant find anything that replaces it...
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
On some vehicles, (especially pre 2007 i think when there was a change). It is not illegal even if no seat belts fitted, not saying it's right or would advise it but not Illegal from all the info and threads that have gone around in past years..

It might not be illegal but it isn't specifically legal either and there is a difference.

A particularly keen policeman might not be able to do you for "carrying passengers with no seatbelts" or similar but he could certainly do you for carrying passengers in an unsafe manner if he wanted to.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It might not be illegal but it isn't specifically legal either and there is a difference.

A particularly keen policeman might not be able to do you for "carrying passengers with no seatbelts" or similar but he could certainly do you for carrying passengers in an unsafe manner if he wanted to.

:) Yes.. I was careful not to state that it was Legal... This whole debate will go on a long time......
That's it, I have put in my 2 pen'th..as they say,...

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

...and almost every bus driver in the land ?..............

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
:) Yes.. I was careful not to state that it was Legal... This whole debate will go on a long time......
That's it, I have put in my 2 pen'th..as they say,...

Of course it will. It's one of those that crops up pretty regularly isn't it. The answer is that there are only ever going to be two opinions that matter: the policeman who stops you and your insurance company should you have an accident

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Speve.. Without starting the debate but I think you are wrong on your statement. On some vehicles, (especially pre 2007 i think when there was a change). It is not illegal even if no seat belts fitted, not saying it's right or would advise it but not Illegal from all the info and threads that have gone around in past years..
@tonka I stand corrected thanks but would still not want to carry passengers without belts legal or not

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Jim has written an article for this but I am buggered if i can find it and offer a link..

This is a little dated BUT cant find anything that replaces it...
Broken Link Removed

+

I think this may be it.
Broken Link Removed

Thanks , just what i was after :)

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Might be law but if you stick to 4 seats and 4 belts you wont go wrong I purchase a 2007 van with 2 seat belts,its not safe for 4 people.i took it back to dealer and changed it for one with 4 belts
got nearly same money back.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Not so much the belts for me as i can use the taxi version of my vans rear belts. What i would like to know is whats the law on the seat. OK it need bolted to/through the floor what i have done but as its a wooden rock n roll type bed would this be enough for an MOT as i was looking to change the tax to MPV

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If carrying 2 unbelted passengers bothers you, buy 2 belts (or better still don't carry passengers), if it doesn't, don't. Simples.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
If carrying 2 unbelted passengers bothers you, buy 2 belts (or better still don't carry passengers), if it doesn't, don't. Simples.

Is that no just being a tad stupid?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back