Seat Belts in France (1 Viewer)

A

AnnTone

Deleted User
Can someone tell me if my sidewards facing lap belts are legal to restrain children in France. (I presume they are legal here):Smile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi.

Im not if they are legal in France but I would say that if its legal in the UK (and i presume your motorhome is UK registered and legal :winky:) then its legal in the rest of Europe. Its all part of the backslapping "good ole chummy" Euro rubbish we have to put with:RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi from what I have read sidewards facing seat belts are almost as dangerous in an accident as no seat belts at all. We never use ours, when the grandson comes in the van, he's in his car seat in the front or in the dinette.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Totally agree with your sentiments on sideways facing seats, Olley - but not about putting grandson in front seat - unless he is older than 10. In France it is illegal to put child in front seats under the age of ten.

I have been scouring the Internet trying to find out if sideways seats are legal but cannot, so far, find a single entry about them.

I think common sense should apply anyway - imagine the effect of two people sitting sideways on in a 30mph collision - the impact on their heads could either brain the person sitting next to them - or break their necks.

Dept of Transport response from their "Think Road safety Campaign"......

D. My vehicle has sideways-facing seats

There has never been a legal requirement to fit seat belts in sideways-facing seats. The human body bends forward from the waist - it does not bend sideways and the potential for internal and spinal injury is high therefore if a passenger is secured with a seat belt in a sideways-facing seat. For similar reasons, the type-approval standard for child seats and boosters does not include fixing them in a sideways-facing seat.

A child who is required to use child seats/boosters (ie all those under 135 cms in height who are also under 12 years of age) cannot travel in a sideways-facing seat. A child who needs to use a child seats or boosters must use a forward or rearward facing seat only.

I, personally, would think long and hard before allowing anybody to travel in a sideways facing seat.

Last edited:

2escapees

Deleted User
I am certain sideways seats even with seat belts are not legal in France! You have to sit facing forwards or backwards and with a seat belt, lap and diagonal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back