Seat belt/walking harness advise needed.................. (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Hi all my fellow animal lovers.
We have two Border Collies and they are as Collies can be.....smart.:wub:
So........any ideas on a harness that can be used as a seat belt AND for walking, but cannot easily be wriggled out of.:pray:
We already have the RAC one and it is not clever enough when wriggling occurs!:mm:
Thank you in advance.
IMG_6920.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6768.JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 23

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just a thought ---have you got it adjusted so it's tight enough? Mine only used harnesses for a brief time but can't remember either being able to wriggle out of them.
Also Freddie the cat had a harness and lead for walking outside on sites and I had to adjust that so he couldn't back up and wriggle it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have two border collies and I'm afraid one of yours is actually a cat :LOL:

However we use a harness that works both as a seat belt attachment and for walking, main thing is to make sure its a snug fit but comfortable so they don't try to remove it. Ours came from the A22 pet store at Halland which is not much help to you in Scotland. The ones we found best are those with quite wide padded straps so they don't dig in.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We use the Klicks harness on our two cockerpoos. Got them from Kennelgate pet stores, but available on line too.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Had similar problems with my first greyhound, went through a whole host of car and ordinary harnesses. If I recall correctly the RAC harness was the first I tried thinking it'd be good, stopped using it after his first motorway journey where he go well and truly tangled up in it.

For the past 8 or 9 years we've used Ruffwear harnesses for walking and in the car. Theirs are I think at least two models behind the current model.

In the car they have a climbing carabiner through the handle onto seat belts and or cargo points via webbing (couple of home made straps). Dufus (in my avatar) likes to travel between the front seats and the harness worked perfectly when we were hit from behind, no injuries and he remained well restrained but able to fidget as much as wanted to safely.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We let ours drive it saves all the fuss,Plus he's out for the count after a 3 hr session Win Win

IMG-20150905-WA0000.jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
So glad to hear all was well JNN, I'm on a mission now to make sure dog owners have their dogs properly clipped in on journeys, I saw a m/home go past us with a dog on the owners lap, ....madness. Apart from the obvious distraction, there is NO WAY anyone can stop the dog from flying through the windscreen in an accident. Its really difficult to convince people of this but basically, would you hold a baby in your arms whilst travelling? Glad to hear everyone on this thread here is harnessed up!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So glad to hear all was well JNN, I'm on a mission now to make sure dog owners have their dogs properly clipped in on journeys, I saw a m/home go past us with a dog on the owners lap, ....madness. Apart from the obvious distraction, there is NO WAY anyone can stop the dog from flying through the windscreen in an accident. Its really difficult to convince people of this but basically, would you hold a baby in your arms whilst travelling? Glad to hear everyone on this thread here is harnessed up!

It's not We all agree 101%:clap2:
Its the bloody Dogs that wont listen:doh:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got our harness, well the dugs, at Dogs Trust when we got him from there.
He wriggles out of his collar but never been able to from his harness. https://www.dogstrustgifts.com/acatalog/Dogs-Trust-Car-Safety-Harness-WP_64206.html Nearly six years and still going strong. Maybe not the cheapest but it does give some support to them and a wee bit of advertising as well.
BTW he's a Welsh Springer Spaniel \ Border Collie cross so about same size as your two.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back