Free Member
Nov 5, 2013
Ripon
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
i'm a newbie
I have just bought my first moter home, it is based on a Citroen relay, 2 seats with belts in the cab, but have 4 seats in the back (which make up the bed) 1/ can i travel with passengers on these seats without belts?
2/ The seats are not forward facing, is it possible to fit belts to these seats?:Confused:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If they are side facing in the rear they don't have the strength for Seat Belt fixings.

As far as I am aware only forward facing seats should have seat belts fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seat belts are something of a concern in some vans. if fitted they must be used but if not, then its a grey area. retro fitting is not usually possible as it requires a steel framework bolted through the chassis.

if travelling with a child, they must have priority over the seat belts even the cab passenger seat. without seatbelts you shouldnt carry toddlers in car seats

its all ok until you're involved in an accident and having to explain why your passengers have been injured/killed

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is much confusion and debate over this.. :Doh:

basically in the UK ; if a belt is fitted it must be worn. any passenger under the age of 12 yrs is the direct responsibility of the driver and must be belted and depending on size or age must be in a dedicated child / booster seat.
passengers over the age of 12 as far as i know a self responsible for belting up if one is available. outside UK ?

seat belts should not be fitted to side facing seats. there are other threads on this if you use the search facility on the forum.

good luck.

and Welcome

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I think you will also find that vehicles registered after October 2007 any passenger seats in the habitation area must be designated as such and fitted with seatbelts I think the seats also have to meet a certain standard, I think that if there are no such seats then you can't carry passengers, can't remember all the details but I'm sure Jim once had a link to an article about it on here somewhere

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back