Searching for Summer - and Port Wine (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Are you yet? you need to get a move on....resturants are calling.

Lets hear a bit more about your van? and its abilitly to do the kind of dash style motorhomeing you do,

I ask this as Im considering changing our m/h, I did think bigger probibly tag 8+mts but now Im not sure and as you seem to tour a great deal your experances may help me out

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you yet? you need to get a move on....resturants are calling.

Lets hear a bit more about your van? and its abilitly to do the kind of dash style motorhomeing you do,

I ask this as Im considering changing our m/h, I did think bigger probibly tag 8+mts but now Im not sure and as you seem to tour a great deal your experances may help me out
Hang on - this is meant to be a food and drink tour, not Top Gear!
You're being very demanding for someone who's meant to be ' resting '

You pop along and put your feet up like the doctor ordered and I'll see what I can come up with later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
After a long day's driving we've arrived at
View attachment 112285

A nice free aire north of Bordeaux
Not the place we'd planned to stay
However our original stop was hosting a music festival and the warm up music was loud enough to wake the dead - so we moved on

Sat in the sunshine - sipping a cold glass of home made beer, looking forward to some barbecue ribs for dinner.

View attachment 112286

Tomorrow is another long drive into Spain, but not before we've had a proper Sunday breakfast of bacon and eggs (from our own chickens)

Looking forward to finally reaching Potigal and taking things s bit slower.

The journey continues !
Looking relaxed!!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
After a long day's driving we've arrived at
View attachment 112285

A nice free aire north of Bordeaux
Not the place we'd planned to stay
However our original stop was hosting a music festival and the warm up music was loud enough to wake the dead - so we moved on

Sat in the sunshine - sipping a cold glass of home made beer, looking forward to some barbecue ribs for dinner.

View attachment 112286

Tomorrow is another long drive into Spain, but not before we've had a proper Sunday breakfast of bacon and eggs (from our own chickens)

Looking forward to finally reaching Potigal and taking things s bit slower.

The journey continues !
Have fun and safe travels,regards AlfandM

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've arrived in Spain and are staying at a free aire in the town of Briviesca

image.png

The aire is close to the town and right next to the bull ring

image.jpeg

We stopped en route for essential supplies, and enjoyed a late lunch of French cheese when we arrived

image.jpeg

Which was accompanied by a rather nice bottle of Medoc from Bordeaux, which was priced at only €7.50

image.jpeg

After a little siesta we walked into Briviesca and enjoyed a stroll round the old town. Amongst the concrete facades of the new buildings there are glimpses of an older town, which dates from the 14th Century

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As I write, we're sat in the main square sipping Cuba Libre, watching the world go by.

image.jpeg

We have a little personal celebration to toast today. Our youngest son has announced that he is getting married in August to the love of his life, so we're off to the Philippines (his fiancé is Filippina)

Our son is a single parent to two wonderful children, and to see him settled is a relief. Mrs C has been a great stand in mum since our grandchildrens own mother left them a couple of years ago - it will do then good to have a full time mum.

image.jpeg

Not sure we can get to the Philippines in the van, so we'll have to 'slum it' and catch a plane.

To say Mrs C is pleased is the understatement of the year. But suddenly there is a massive dilemma - what to wear?

Tomorrow we head South in search of a Spanish culinary treat!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Ok - in my best Jeremy Clarkson style.

We've had our van 'pimped' so suit our semi nomadic lifestyle.

We're not lovers of campsites. We love wild camping - but we love our luxuries too. Power on the move is important to us as I love Nespresso Coffee and Mrs C likes her hair 'just so' which can only be achieved with daily blow dries. We've achieved this by fitting 4 leisure batteries and a 2000 watt inverter, which means that we have the benefit of mains electricity wherever we are.

Got to end here as Mrs C is getting agitated - more tomorrow !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely pictures and info as usual thanks . Congratulations to your son and your lovely grandchildren.
Mrs C never looks like she would ever get agitated, much to smilie!:)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Lovely pictures and info as usual thanks . Congratulations to your son and your lovely grandchildren.
Mrs C never looks like she would ever get agitated, much to smilie!:)
She settled down again - I bought her another Cuba Libre

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
thanks @Robert Clark SON very informative keep it up....

big congrates on the wedding...I hope the Mrs is getting a Hat or 3 whilst youor away

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
..I hope the Mrs is getting a Hat or 3 whilst youor away
It's not the hats I'm worried about its the outfits in assorted colours, with matching shoes in various heights and accompanying handbags and other suitably expensive accessories.

Living 'over the brush' seems a much more sensible alternative to getting married in my humble opinion.

Deleted User
We've arrived in Spain and are staying at a free aire in the town of Briviesca

View attachment 112422

The aire is close to the town and right next to the bull ring

View attachment 112423

We stopped en route for essential supplies, and enjoyed a late lunch of French cheese when we arrived

View attachment 112424

Which was accompanied by a rather nice bottle of Medoc from Bordeaux, which was priced at only €7.50

View attachment 112425

After a little siesta we walked into Briviesca and enjoyed a stroll round the old town. Amongst the concrete facades of the new buildings there are glimpses of an older town, which dates from the 14th Century

View attachment 112426

View attachment 112427

View attachment 112428

View attachment 112429

As I write, we're sat in the main square sipping Cuba Libre, watching the world go by.

View attachment 112431

We have a little personal celebration to toast today. Our youngest son has announced that he is getting married in August to the love of his life, so we're off to the Philippines (his fiancé is Filippina)

Our son is a single parent to two wonderful children, and to see him settled is a relief. Mrs C has been a great stand in mum since our grandchildrens own mother left them a couple of years ago - it will do then good to have a full time mum.

View attachment 112432

Not sure we can get to the Philippines in the van, so we'll have to 'slum it' and catch a plane.

To say Mrs C is pleased is the understatement of the year. But suddenly there is a massive dilemma - what to wear?

Tomorrow we head South in search of a Spanish culinary treat!

We stayed on that aire in May en route from Tavira to La Baule but arrived late and the weather wasn't so good so we never got to explore the town but it looked interesting. It was a Friday night when we were there and only one other unit on, we thought that we may have a problem as early in the evening a few cars arrived with some local youths having a spliff or two but things soon quietened down and we had a peaceful night. Very convenient stopover we will use it again.

If you do decide to stop at Zamora on you r travels I can highly recommend Campercontact 40425 on the opposite bank of the river, no facilities, just a car park and it did get busy in the evening as it is next to a waterside park and cafe bar but we had no problems.

We had one of the best €10 lunchtime Menu del Dias ever in 'Restaurante el Manojo' which is just over the old bridge, now closed to traffic, in Plaza de Santa Lucia. Restaurant quality food at rock bottom price:)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We stayed on that aire in May en route from Tavira to La Baule but arrived late and the weather wasn't so good so we never got to explore the town but it looked interesting. It was a Friday night when we were there and only one other unit on, we thought that we may have a problem as early in the evening a few cars arrived with some local youths having a spliff or two but things soon quietened down and we had a peaceful night. Very convenient stopover we will use it again.

If you do decide to stop at Zamora on you r travels I can highly recommend Campercontact 40425 on the opposite bank of the river, no facilities, just a car park and it did get busy in the evening as it is next to a waterside park and cafe bar but we had no problems.

We had one of the best €10 lunchtime Menu del Dias ever in 'Restaurante el Manojo' which is just over the old bridge, now closed to traffic, in Plaza de Santa Lucia. Restaurant quality food at rock bottom price:)
Thanks - we're stopping there on the way back.
Any wild camping suggestions in the Douro valley?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For @SC 05 OUT
One thing that's really important when travelling long distances is comfort.

In our old Bessie we only had standard van seats and after a couple of hours driving my bum was numb and my back was stiff.

image.jpeg

Our new van is fitted with rather nice Aguti seats, which have great lumbar support and are comfortable and leave you feeling relaxed, even after a long drive

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations Mr & Mrs C's son and gorgeous grandchildren. All the best for their new life together.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
For @SC 05 OUT
One thing that's really important when travelling long distances is comfort.

In our old Bessie we only had standard van seats and after a couple of hours driving my bum was numb and my back was stiff.

View attachment 112595

Our new van is fitted with rather nice Aguti seats, which have great lumbar support and are comfortable and leave you feeling relaxed, even after a long drive

thats a good piont, I never considererd befor....

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Nice to read a happy ending ,so enjoy your trip to the Philippines you proud grandparents, regards AlfandM.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Ref Zamora there are 2 Aires/carparks on campingcars info we stayed in the other one #9965 not the one mentioned above which looks like its been cleaned up since we looked at it.
Forgot to mention a great free spot just NW of Macedo de Cavaleiros at the reservoir public bathing area. Services at the swimming pool in town if u need them

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's been a beautiful day!
We travelled across Castilla y Leon to the town of Ponferrada.
We're staying at the Free Aire (Campercontact 19456) with its stunning views of the forests and mountains in the distance.

image.jpeg

For the history buffs - Ponferrada has an impressive Templar Castle and many beautiful old buildings

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ponferrada is on the pilgrim route to Satiago de Compostela and seems to be busy with passing tourists.

For the 'foodies' we found a little piece of paradise at lunchtime today.

We ordered the local speciality of suckling lamb - roasted in a wood fired oven. Served with rosemary potatoes and salad.

image.jpeg

It was served with a carafe of local red wine which complemented the meat wonderfully.

For desert I could not resist the home made cheesecake, which was served with a fresh berry compote.

image.jpeg

We headed back to the van for espresso's and snifters, which we enjoyed sat in the shade of our awning, enjoying the scenery.

Tomorrow we head across the border into Portugal

Can you guess the lunchtime bill?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For @SC 05 OUT
One of my favourite 'toys' on our van is the E&P levelling jacks.
Great when you're visiting lots of places and don't want the hassle of ramps.
Within a minute of arriving on site, your van is perfectly level.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photos Robert and Mrs C! What a blue sky!
Aire looks lovely and so does the meal I guess €32 is that way out?!
Enjoy your snifters! I presume that's a liqueur and not something else!!:LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
For @SC 05 OUT
One of my favourite 'toys' on our van is the E&P levelling jacks.
Great when you're visiting lots of places and don't want the hassle of ramps.
Within a minute of arriving on site, your van is perfectly level.
Phil read the thread on the levellers ,the boys were all so excited!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back