Search for specific tags in a thread (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When someone posts a thread which is soliciting specific advice on how to fix this, where to get that, how is this done, quite often after only a few posts the wannabe comedians and those who think they know the answer but haven't clue pile in and you cannot see the wood for the trees should you happen to ping that thread in a search. So might it be possible for one to search a thread for the useful or informative tagged posts for example so all posts deemed such by the original thread starter or others can be isolated and therefore read in context of the problem or whatever.
Maybe this exists already and I have missed it @Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When someone posts a thread which is soliciting specific advice on how to fix this, where to get that, how is this done, quite often after only a few posts the wannabe comedians and those who think they know the answer but haven't clue pile in and you cannot see the wood for the trees should you happen to ping that thread in a search. So might it be possible for one to search a thread for the useful or informative tagged posts for example so all posts deemed such by the original thread starter or others can be isolated and therefore read in context of the problem or whatever.
Maybe this exists already and I have missed it @Jim

For me the beauty of a forum is the priceless information that can be obtained when a thread goes off topic. I've always accepted that even the longest thread only takes a few minutes to read so if the answers are there you will get to them, even if you have to wade through funny, asides wrong answers and off topic posts.

One of the things levelled at forums is that you get wrong information when people who don't know wade in with an answer. It's wrong to accuse forums of this because on a busy forum the wrong answer is never allowed to stand; a thread always resolves itself and the best answer is always arrived at.

However, like you say it can be difficult to immediately see the sublime solutions when they are surrounded by 'lesser' posts.

So one thing were working on for 2018 is a best answer system. Someone asks a question and we, all of us, with a mouse click can vote on the best response. This best answer is them moved from the bowels of the thread and placed under the original posters question. This I imagine would satisfy you and many others who want answers quickly and don't want to read a whole thread (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Yeah ,but it is fun reading all of the thread .... sometimes :D. ......eg:

://Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Awe c'mon ... you cannot be serious surely ... the thread about serious haggis eating is one off the most hilarious ones I've read in ages!

Broken Link Removed

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Drives me nuts!

When reading some threads, I actually started counted how many posts there were until the numpty woke up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
One of the things levelled at forums is that you get wrong information when people who don't know wade in with an answer.
So one thing were working on for 2018 is a best answer system. Someone asks a question and we, all of us, with a mouse click can vote on the best response. This best answer is them moved from the bowels of the thread and placed under the original posters question. This I imagine would satisfy you and many others who want answers quickly and don't want to read a whole thread (y)

I think what you propose can certainly produce a metric on the most popular response but is susceptible to the same issues that forum posts are in that anyone (even those who do not have the knowledge to provide a correct answer (but proffer an opinion anyway)) can submit a ‘best response’ vote.

But, as we all know, best answer and correct answer are not necessarily the same thing.

For most queries, though, it probably doesn’t matter but for some queries (those with a safety element to them), it does.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back