Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
On a recent trip to Scotland, one of my high level side running lamps was broken by an overhanging branch. I now have the new unit and I plan to replace it today.

I am hoping that only the lens was damaged, but if I have to replace the complete unit, should I use a sealant under the base, and if so, any particular one?

Anxious not to have water ingress.

Thanks

Steve

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
lights

Without seeing the actual light its difficult to advise but I would bed it on mastic. You can buy mastic on a roll which can be cut to shape easily.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Not sure how this will come out, this is the undamaged lamp

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
should I use a sealant under the base, and if so, any particular one?

Anxious not to have water ingress.

Thanks

Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,

If you bed the new base in sealant, that should ensure no water ingress.
I would suggest Sikaflex 512 or even one of the silicone sealants used for bathroom intallations.
I have used both with good results.
Sikaflex 512 is, I believe, the sealant used by Hymer on its motorhome body joints.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I would use a non setting mastic such as Caraflex IDL ( from most caravan dealers) and only seal the where the cable exits the van and around the screw fixing holes.

jim

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Sealant a good idea but following on from ScotJimLand, don't go mad as you may have to remove again, another tree etc, so just enough to seal.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Is there any evidence of sealer anywhere on the one you are removing ?

Not yet checked, about to go to the storage location with a stepladder, and will discover then. I also thought that may be a guide to what I do - I may still be lucky and be able to just replace the lens, but I do know the lamp has failed.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not yet checked, about to go to the storage location with a stepladder, and will discover then. I also thought that may be a guide to what I do - I may still be lucky and be able to just replace the lens, but I do know the lamp has failed.

Steve

Hi Steve ..

good plan , just in case you are not aware, the lens normally has a small hole to allow condensation to escape.. so make sure it's facing downward and don't be tempted to seal it.

jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Steve
So would you, if smacked around the head with a branch:ROFLMAO:
I second Scotjim with a minimum of non setting sealant:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Right, just got back. The current lamp is slightly different (DRAT!) than the new one, more importantly, the screw positions are different (DRAT!).

The current lamps (I say plural because if I replace one I will do the two) are fitted with a non-setting sealant, so I have bought some fresh non-setting sealant from my local caravan shop, together with the second lamp.

Thanks for the advice about drainage, it is the base that has the drainage slot, with a clear "top" displayed, therefore the lens can be inverted so that they are not handed.

About to return to complete the job (I intend to slight enlarge the cable in hole as the insulated spade terminal is just too large for the hole), your advice is appreciated.

Steve

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks Funsters!

Job done, not, of course, without drama. The broken lamp was actually easy to replace. I bought the non-setting sealant, and having cleaned off the old, dirty sealant (with white spirit), I used the new sealant very sparingly. Turning to the undamaged side, I removed the lens, and was drenched as water poured out. Well not really, a few splashes more like, but whoever (the apprentice?) had installed the offside one had gone mad with the sealant, and had totally blocked the drainage hole. That took quite a bit of cleaning up, and what happens when your hands are covered in sealant? You want a pee!. Anyway, two matching side running lamps are working fine, drainage holes exposed, and I will watch for any overhanging trees with a bit more care.

Thanks to those who contributed.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back