Sealing Roof Leak with Fibreglass (1 Viewer)

Al68

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 644
Exp
Since 1980
I don't have a self build though I have done quite a bit of rebuilding of the coachwork after getting leaks at roof level in my CI Carioaca 644.
Working from inside I replaced the rotten wood and replaced internal panel with plywood. I resealed the junction between the aluminium roof skin and the side frame. The joint aluminium moulding was bedded and screwed down. I also resealed the junction between the aluminium roof sling and the front overact fibreglass moulding. I used Sikaflex and proprietary none setting sealant to achieve this. I thought I had solved the problem, however, I have signs of damp on the nearside just behind the passenger door of the Fiat Ducato cab door.
A long time ago I built a sailing dinghy using the stitch and glue system to join panels in the hull. I am thinking that I could do similar with resin and tape on these roof joints. I don't intend to fibreglass the whole roof - yet!
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG

Has anybody done similar?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My daughter impulsively bought a leaker a couple of years ago

we paid for new roof lights , hopefully removing where we felt the greatest risk of leak was

like you it didn’t , following guidance on here we then investigated ‘aluminium cancer’, took a section of roof lining down (had it done, beyond my skill set) there were dozens of pin holes in the roof

the motorhome was relatively cheap, we painted the roof with a fibre impregnated substance, didn’t look pretty in gun metal grey, not sure if other colours were available , but it seemed to stop the obvious leaks 👍

it might be a simpler solution for your joints maybe , applied by paintbrush , we did the whole roof, 2 coats in a day

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Firstly I am wondering how the manufacturer sealed the roof joint? Other than badly.

A couple of things come to mind re fibreglass, standard polyester resin will eat polystyrene insulation so any resting creeping into the joint will melt the insulation which looks like polystyrene in your photos, the other worry I might have is that there could be movement between roof and wall when the van twists and a fibreglass tape joint might be too rigid.

If it was me I would be tempted to use something more flexible like Eternabond tape after securing the roof/wall junction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Al68

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 644
Exp
Since 1980
It's a 2005 model and so perhaps 10 years is the life of sealants on CI quality motorhomes. I can't see any evidence of failure in the roof lights though.

Yes, the rigidity issue had crossed my mind. If it bonds to the aluminium roof skin and maybe folds over the wall panel but is not bonded to it there would be a degree of freedom. I would then bed the existing rubber gasket on Puraflex mastic and screw the finishing trim over the top has in the original construction.

I don't know but the problem may be the joint between the aluminium roof sheet and the overact fibreglass moulding. It does form a dam and after rain, water is always seen to lie there.

It's too cold and wet to work outside yet and so I will keep researching. I know some resins are more flexible than others but which.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Could you not remove roof lights and side roof trims and get sheet of butyl pond liner and cover entire roof then fix roof side trims with a bed of mastic underneath and screw down, and seal over screw heads. Cut holes for roof lights and again bed on mastic.
I know this is different but I have done similar to pitched shed roof and thinking of replacing upc roof of conservatory with ply then cover with butyl.
I think some American RV,s have a butyl roof.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Use two part liquid EPDM rubber, designed for RV roofs and us just painted on.

Scroll down to Motorhome roof repair.

OP
OP
A

Al68

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 644
Exp
Since 1980
Thanks for the large scale ideas but I am still thinking of local discreet solutions.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would use a polymer based sealant / adhesive like ebt or 5200m or simalar.

It will seal that corner and an Alu cover piece in one go.

Cheers James

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tanking paint is the cheapest and quickest solution. The paint includes rubber fibres and is used to seal swimming pools and ponds etc. Available in a whole raft of colours and has been used to great effect by members on here dealing with porous aluminium roofs on motorhomes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back