Seagate Central NAS (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Is there anyone on here using seagate Central storage device, the written Bumph about it makes it sound ideal for freeing up space on PCs and Tablets and giving you access to your saved files via Wi-fi. The reviews on it, as always, are very mixed so if anyone is using it your views would be appreciated.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would never buy another Seagate Drive. Studies show they have a massive failure rate.
The chart reflects my limited findings in that Hitachi drives are superb and long lived.

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No knowledge of the Seagate device but I have a Netgear NAS which is hardwired into the network not wireless. I use it only as a backup device - my Windows 7 does a full back up weekly (used to be daily when I worked) and writes to two WD 2TB hard drives which are mirrored, i.e. the same data is written to both and if one fails I won't lose data as after I replace the failed drive the system will copying across all the data from the other. I have to take this on trust as despite having it for about 5 years none of the drives have failed yet.

But, and this is the reason for mentioning it, I wouldn't use the device as just an extra drive as it GOES TO SLEEP. If it isn't being used the device goes into hibernation no doubt to save electricity. This means if I want to access a file on it I have to wait for it to boot up first which take about 30 seconds or so. This is not a problem for backups but if I had files on it which I wanted to access often it would be a major pain.

Not sure if the Seagate NAS does this but worth checking if you want to use it for anything other than a backup device.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am using a Seagate Wireless Plus, 1 terrabyte, rechargeable hard drive.

My first one let me done but the replacement has worked ok for a few months now. Very, very convenient to use in the van for films and music etc. Don't trust it enough for any more photos though.

JJ :cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would never buy another Seagate Drive. Studies show they have a massive failure rate.

Ouch.

Guess who just fitted a new 1TB Seagate as my main drive. Two months and counting. It's very fast.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No problems with our Seagate NAS, which we bought because Western Digital refused to maintain support for the version of Memeo which they sell with their drives.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Me too, just fitted a new 1TB Seagate HD, looking good so far. The 1TB is not showing on that chart so perhaps they're immune from failure? :cautious:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been using a 2TB seagate central for the past 6 months plus without any problems. I just use it as a home network drive but I can access it remotely if required.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seagate and western digital drives seem to be designed to fail rather than for reliability

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had an Iomega 2TB NAS drive fail, still under warranty..

I lost everything on it .. fortunately I also had another back up onto a second Iomega drive.

returned it to Currys and exchanged it for a 2TB Toshiba .

They say DVDs are old technology, and that may be so, but I have dozens going back many years that have all my photos on ... they don't suddenly fail like hard d rives do.

Belts and braces , never just have one back-up for your precious moments.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have had a Seagate NAS which failed after a couple of years so out of warranty:(
Fortunately I back up important files so nothing too serious was lost.
I now have a WD NAS which has been running for a couple of years. I'm not going to praise it in case I jinx myself. ;)
Which reminds me it's time to a backup again.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They say DVDs are old technology, and that may be so, but I have dozens going back many years that have all my photos on ... they don't suddenly fail like hard d rives do.
I wouldn't rely on DVDs (or CDs) totally as some do fail. I have a couple of commercial products which have failed over the years. They just became unreadable after being properly stored in their cases for a while, probably because they were not top quality.
When we used to publish genealogy data CDs we guaranteed them for life against dye fading and never knew one to fail for that reason but we did have a couple which, for some reason, would play on some machines but not others.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wouldn't rely on DVDs (or CDs) totally as some do fail.

indeed Graham.. just another string to the bow..

To be frank.. there isn't a medium that will last say 100 years.. I print many, but they will fade, I store on the cloud, but that will die eventually, I save on DVD and hard drive, both will either fail or become outmoded, like 8 track players..

the best I hope for is to pass the media onto my kids who hopefully will preserve on whatever they have to hand ... and so on ..

I have many old family pictures from the late 1800s.. as good as they day they were processed.. we don't do that kind of quality today .. do we.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I use a 2tb Seagate Central connected to my router so accessible via wifi, and we also use mains networking so out smart TVs can access the NAS for movies and music etc.

We stream movies ok on wifi and on our mains network plugs.

Works fine and of course you can set a public and private area and set up remote acess,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To be frank.. there isn't a medium that will last say 100 years.
Yes Jim - as the BBC found with their Domesday project :)

The first trick is to keep up with available media. Second nature with an IT background but I did get caught out by buying an Amstrad machine which used 3" floppy disks and meant some re-typing. On the other hand we made some cash out of data rescue from 5.25" disks when we had the business :)

The other trick is to avoid proprietary file types where possible. We made even more cash out of rescuing family history databases written by defunct software :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have many old family pictures from the late 1800s.. as good as they day they were processed.. we don't do that kind of quality today .. do we.
That's an interesting one. Some deteriorate faster than others. However, what we tended to find was that it was the surface layers and the underlying detail was still there. My Dad's cousin sent me a photo of her Great Great Grandfather (my GGGF) which was faded and was over the moon when we could bring out the detail.
gggf holden sepia.jpg HoldenB.jpg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That's an interesting one. Some deteriorate faster than others. However, what we tended to find was that it was the surface layers and the underlying detail was still there. My Dad's cousin sent me a photo of her Great Great Grandfather (my GGGF) which was faded and was over the moon when we could bring out the detail.
View attachment 46758 View attachment 46759
That is very good, how did you manage to do that(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That is very good, how did you manage to do that(y)
It was Jill who did it, not me - she was the Photo Restoration Department :)

In the case of that photo I think it only needed use of one of the automatic tools in Paint Shop Pro (probably v7 or v8) because all the detail was still there behind the fading. The process all depends on what sort of damage there is and how severe it is.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a home server 4 TB, RAID , I also back up the Server to external USB drives, the PC's and Laptops are automatically backed up daily, with the ability to go back to ay date within a 6 weeks window, after that its a monthly backup.

I store my photographs on the server and use Lightbox to index them, I use photoshop to edit photographs, some of the auto fix functios are rather good and good enough for old photographs.

Right I'm off for a walk...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back