Sea fishing - essentials for a beginner? (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had a similar idea a couple of years ago.
I bought a beach caster rod and reel off eBay but didn't really know what to do.
We were in the Isle of Man and there were a lot of guys fishing one evening. I got talking to one, explaining I didn't have a clue but had a rod and reel. "Go and get it" he said. He fixed me up with tracer and bait and explained what to do. Call it beginners luck, I caught a fish. It is the only fish (tope) I've ever caught. Haven't even caught a mackerel. I do enjoy trying though.View attachment 429726

I bet that took some reeling in!

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I agree with the above. A simple and cheap little kit like <Broken link removed> will be enough to get you in the waves making some casts. Who knows...you might even catch something!! If you get "hooked" (sorry, I couldn't resist!!) then the sky is the limit with rods, reels and tackle.

Took a look at that, I like one of the reviews:

However the rod stopped working properly the first time we used it. Very disappointing.

A reel yes, but how does a rod stop working? :wondering:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Milk Tray Man

Milk Tray Man

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2016
Gillingham, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Frankia I680BD
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you very much for all the insight and guidance, much appreciated. Want go keep it really basic and minimalist as it is just fun and don’t want to carry loads of ‘stuff’. Will avoid boats as not good on them even with ginger, bands, tablets etc...I even got seasick in a canoe in 1 foot of water!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've been told by a "friend" of a "friend" that if you can get your hands on a few WD Surplus Hand Grenades you'll have success every time.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You could just get a small hand rake and a tub of salt, hand rake and a bucket for cockles some times oysters depending where you are. Salt look for u tube about razor clams just tip some salt in their hole and they come up to see you ;)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You could just get a small hand rake and a tub of salt, hand rake and a bucket for cockles some times oysters depending where you are. Salt look for u tube about razor clams just tip some salt in their hole and they come up to see you ;)
Not in the wash for the rest of the year. They have been banned from cockling in the wash so as to leave enough for the birds.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I had a similar idea a couple of years ago.
I bought a beach caster rod and reel off eBay but didn't really know what to do.
We were in the Isle of Man and there were a lot of guys fishing one evening. I got talking to one, explaining I didn't have a clue but had a rod and reel. "Go and get it" he said. He fixed me up with tracer and bait and explained what to do. Call it beginners luck, I caught a fish. It is the only fish (tope) I've ever caught. Haven't even caught a mackerel. I do enjoy trying though.View attachment 429726
If that's your first attempt I would give up while you're ahead!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Get yourself down to the chesil, Abbotsbury or West bexinton are good spots I've found, watch folk beachcasting and ask their advice and tips

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Ive just done the same bought a beach caster rod and reel combo from a boot sale been in the water 4 or 5 times now two small dogfish both returned to the water
[

is that before they took the skin of your wrist while unhooking

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Happy to spend couple of hundred quid and anticipate the rod and reel would be the most expensive bit.
Coming back to the cost I'd say you could get a decent set up for far less; somewhere around £50 to £75 would be fine.
As for bait; bought lug or rag worms are expensive and you have to be near a bait-selling fishing tackle shop to get them. I've always bought a couple of mackerel (if I hadn't caught any) which I've found universally successful, take a fillet off each side, liberally salt it, put it in a plastic (e.g Chinese takeaway) box and it'll stay useable for many days - even better when it honks a bit.
I have used the meat from limpets and mussels pulled off the rocks where I'm fishing but they've not been as successful as a single mackerel strip about 2" long x 1/2" wide cut from the salted fillets. Just one on a hook, hooked through once at the end so that it hangs below the hook.

Rex Mac

Free Member
Jul 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just a quick note for anyone thinking of taking up sea fishing. Make sure you can recognise a weever fish before you cast. They are quite widespread around our coast. Thankfully they are rarely caught by rod and line but they will occasionally take your bait. They have venomous spines and can give you a really painful experience if you handle them incorrectly.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I agree with the above. A simple and cheap little kit like <Broken link removed> will be enough to get you in the waves making some casts. Who knows...you might even catch something!! If you get "hooked" (sorry, I couldn't resist!!) then the sky is the limit with rods, reels and tackle.
That’s what I bought a couple months ago. Loads of pleasure chucking lures at the sea but still only caught seaweed and rocks. Good job really coz no idea what I’d do if a ever caught a fish 😨

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is fun to fish from the shore but it is increasingly difficult to catch anything to eat - the seas are being fished far too much by trawlers so there is less left.

Mackerel finishing is the easiest way to start Milk Tray Man and you can buy a reasonable set up for that for around £50 new or much less at car boot sale.

OP
OP
Milk Tray Man

Milk Tray Man

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2016
Gillingham, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Frankia I680BD
Exp
Since 2014
Cheers folks, liking the idea of grenades but that has been vetoed by management as I am more likely to use them on humans than fish:devil:. I have seen kits online for between £40-100 so may just go with that and then take a day trip down to the coast and see how I get on. Catching something would be good but just being by the sea, enjoying the moment is just as much part of the fun.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Catching something would be good but just being by the sea, enjoying the moment is just as much part of the fun.
Quite so. And in any case it feels as though you're doing something worthwhile.
It's also a more credible excuse for getting up at 6 to stand in the rain on rocks all day instead of decorating the kitchen. ;)

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have fished most of my life, but aprt from sticklebacks at the local park when I was very young, I have only ever caught ONE fish, that was in the lake beside the Knaus Campsite in Bad Durkheim Germany

My local club gave me a prize one year.. The floating bait box award.. I always seemed to manage to knock my bait box in the water !!!!
1601636605578.png

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It’s something I have never done, they always look cold stood on the beach with their rods, and as for digging the beach up at low tide looking for worms. There used to be a fella that did dig for and sell the worms up here, but it looked like hard work.
Spinning keeps you warm.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back