SD card and USB drive not recognised ??? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've got one of each that I can't get my windows 7 pc or chromebook to recognise and open folders.
On the windows pc, if I go into disk manager it's there, but the options don't allow me to format it, or do much else useful, just check the driver, which is up to date.
Anyone got any ideas how I can bring these back into use ?
TIA

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
are you trying to get access to data already on these or treat them as empty devices?

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Have you had them open on this device before? Could they be formatted in a non Windows way (eg Linux, Apple etc)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use the erase option on Raspberry Pi Imager, as it can access and format pretty well any SD card or USB stick to FAT32.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Downloading & installing the latest version of .NET Framework often sorts out this sort of problem. You'll need to search a bit for a x86 or x64 version depending on your system due to Microsoft no longer supporting Win7

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
are you trying to get access to data already on these or treat them as empty devices?
There is certainly date on the sd card, usb drive may be empty, either way it's not important. I'd be happy to format to make them useable.

Have you had them open on this device before? Could they be formatted in a non Windows way (eg Linux, Apple etc)?
They have been used before, don't have access to an Apple machine

I use the erase option on Raspberry Pi Imager, as it can access and format pretty well any SD card or USB stick to FAT32.
I've never used raspberry pi (eaten a few though) I'll have a look at it

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've never used raspberry pi (eaten a few though) I'll have a look at it

Don't worry that is used with Rasp Pi's, it's only the erase and formatting it performs that your interested in.
It's recovered a good few cards and USB sticks for me in the past.

If you do give it a go, then click on the "Choose OS" and scroll down the "Erase and format card as FAT32" option and then click on "Choose Storage" to see your card.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Google

Diskpart format to FAT32 in Windows 11/10/8/7​

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've got one of each that I can't get my windows 7 pc or chromebook to recognise and open folders.
On the windows pc, if I go into disk manager it's there, but the options don't allow me to format it, or do much else useful, just check the driver, which is up to date.
Anyone got any ideas how I can bring these back into use ?
TIA
Problems with two storage devices AND two computer types. That’s a little odd.
I’m not sure what’s up but for file system choices for the format, look at exFAT for larger SD cards (>32GB). Best with Microsoft and Linux OS from this decade.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Do you have more than one usb port you can try? My PC some of the ports recognise everything and some are a little fussy

Alternatively go into device manager and try to update the drivers for the USB controllers or remove and restart machine at which point they will come back and you can try again.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try formatting the card in another device such as a camera. However not being recognised by a windows machine and Chromebook suggest that the sd card may be damaged in someway.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Try formatting the card in another device such as a camera. However not being recognised by a windows machine and Chromebook suggest that the sd card may be damaged in someway.
It might be a similar problem for two devices - the OP mentions an SD card AND a USB Drive :think:

And it's attempts on two different devices that reading their contents fails :eek:
Odd.
Maybe it will be easier to work on one of each.

OP, what was the last time & scenario that things worked?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back