Screwing anything into walls safely!? (1 Viewer)

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Hi folks,
I’m new to motorhoming, but quite a keen diy-er. Apologies in advance, as this seems such a basic question, but I’m struggling to find an answer.

I’ve seen a few tips & tricks which involve attaching something to a wall. At the moment I’m just thinking about some ‘pocket’ storage in the overcab bed area for mobile phone, glasse, etc. It’s an Autosleeper Neuvo, which has soft walls in that area. That said, I’m sure there may be other places I’ll want to attach something. I’ve read about Command tape solutions too, but not sure how they work on soft or rough surfaces.

I’m looking for general advice for screwing into internal walls in a motorhome. I’ve got an old house, so if I’m doing work there I use a wiring/plumbing detector and choose fasteners depending on what I’m screwing into. What’s the story inside a van?

Many thanks,
Heeb

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Very carefully... Sure better informed Funsters will be along shortly but I am very very reluctant to drill and screw any holes in my moho. 👍👍👍

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If youre unsure and it is possible to put someone on the other side of the wall (for example shower or cupboard) then you can slowly choose a self tapper with the other person saying NO very loudly as they see it protrude on the other side.
These were the tactics I just used to fix the tv point in the bedroom as guessing the width of the wood was educated guessing but if a "bubble" started to appear then I could stop before any real damage.

The other thing is suction pads. We have just bought them for the shower to hold the shower gel which manages to do my hair and body wash and numerous hair products for the wife which manages to do just her hair. Similar thing in the kitchen for the important stuff like corkscrew, bottle cap, bottle opener and spares of each. Oh and washing up liquid

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If youre unsure and it is possible to put someone on the other side of the wall (for example shower or cupboard) then you can slowly choose a self tapper with the other person saying NO very loudly as they see it protrude on the other side.
These were the tactics I just used to fix the tv point in the bedroom as guessing the width of the wood was educated guessing but if a "bubble" started to appear then I could stop before any real damage.
Best if they rub a finger over the area as you can feel the "bubble" before you can see it.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

The other thing is suction pads. We have just bought them for the shower to hold the shower gel which manages to do my hair and body wash and numerous hair products for the wife which manages to do just her hair. Similar thing in the kitchen for the important stuff like corkscrew, bottle cap, bottle opener and spares of each. Oh and washing up liquid
Be careful with the suction pads as they will eventually let go and you don't want a damaged shower tray;)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Bit early in the morning to be thinking about screwing!
Unless u know what's behind your intended location I would advise against it. The interior skin tends to be very thin ply with a vynal finish usually stuck to some thin framework. A stud locator might find the frame for a fixing but what's the chances it's in the right place.
I have used heavy duty round velcro pads successfully in the past but obviously not any good on a soft surfaces.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I only ever screw fixings to the ‘wooden’ bits of our ‘van - wardrobe sides, seat ends, decorative mouldings, etc. Command tape does work on textured surfaces, but only for lighter items (MiFis, LED nightlights, etc) - so nothing too heavy…….

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you want something like "Velcro" have a look at 3M (or alternative) dual lock tape.
Much better grip than "Velcro" but you need to ensure the surfaces you're sticking it to are robust enough to take the pull when opening the joint.
Broken Link Removed

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a couple of the ‘cargo’ net things for papers, mags etc, but they are screwed into wood areas. Don’t fancy the idea of drilling and screwing into the normal walls, you don’t know where electrics run.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bit early in the morning to be thinking about screwing!
Unless u know what's behind your intended location I would advise against it. The interior skin tends to be very thin ply with a vynal finish usually stuck to some thin framework. A stud locator might find the frame for a fixing but what's the chances it's in the right place.
I have used heavy duty round velcro pads successfully in the past but obviously not any good on a soft surfaces.
Actually Velcro is useful on soft walls (eg covered in fluffy type material or carpeting), you just use the hook bit on the item you want to attach and it should grip directly onto the 'soft' wall instead of the fluffy Velcro bit.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Actually Velcro is useful on soft walls (eg covered in fluffy type material or carpeting), you just use the hook bit on the item you want to attach and it should grip directly onto the 'soft' wall instead of the fluffy Velcro bit.
Would that not damage material if ever removed ???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would that not damage material if ever removed ???
In my experience no, it depends on what the material is and how well it is fixed to the sides I suppose. It's difficult to advise fully without view of the area in the MH that the op wants to put the items.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I tried to remove the fridge freezer from my van to service it... despite huffing and puffing for around an hour it would not budge from its housing cabinet...so i sat and had a cuppa looking at it to figure it out...when i noticed the TV mounting bracket on the other side of the wall... unscrewing this all became apparent...whichever idiot installed the bracket had used inch and a half screws that had gone right through the wall and pierced the side of the fridge freezer....no wonder it wouldn't budge.... :rolleyes:

possar

Free Member
Feb 8, 2016
gateshead
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
30 year
I recently made a short table to replace the big one and stuck wood using strong glue to the wall then screwed the brackets of the table to the wood

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
<Broken link removed> go these holding a sintidy above the sinyin the van
Pagey no worky ...

Assume it's one of these?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you want to screw to the inside of an external wall you need to know how thick the wall is.
Open a window on the same wall and measure the thickness of the window frame.
Deduct around ⅜" (to be on the safe side) for the window frame internal and external trim thickness and that leaves the max screw length to use.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Be warned regarding screwing things to Autosleeper interior walls. I thought it would be a good idea to put a hook on the inside of the bathroom wall. As much as I checked the length of screws required when I tightened the first screw there was a loud crack.
The large mirror on the other side of the wall was cracked top to bottom. One screw was fractionally longer than the rest. That was an costly job for the sake of hanging managements dressing gown up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back