Screenwash fluid (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone else ever had the washer fluid smell very strongly of sulphur....just like a boiling battery.
I've had cheap additive start to gel/slime after being in the tank for a long period but never had any bad smell.
I've siphoned the tank and the fluid, which was almost clear, stunk.
Pushed the syphon hose right into the tank and a hosepipe in the top and got a perfect fill/syphon balance.
Ran the hose for 1/2hr to thoroughly flush the tank and now the smell has gone.
Just need some new washer fluid, tin of de-greaser/solvent and a pair of wiper blades now as I think whatever was in there has affected the blade rubbers and the screen appears to have what looks like wax on it when wet even after cleaning it with brake and clutch cleaner.

Any thoughts ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What was the source of the Fluid, John?. Some of the REALLY cheap ones use harsh chemicals, OR maybe just a contaminated batch.? "Sulphurous" smell suggests a chemical breakdown?.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Smell of sulphur? What was on the menu for tea last night? Heinz baked beans? Them bad boys can produce a right wiff to rival any boiling battery.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What was the source of the Fluid, John?. Some of the REALLY cheap ones use harsh chemicals, OR maybe just a contaminated batch.? "Sulphurous" smell suggests a chemical breakdown?.
No idea of the source Pete, I only just bought the car and the bottle was around 25% full.
The bottle appears to only hold around 3ltrs so I can't see it being in there long enough to break down chemically.
Just topped up with fresh additive and water at around 30% and I didn't notice the smell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
My son had this on a seat Ibiza, was a real pain to get rid of, we flushed the whole system through about 8 times with hot water, before it cleared.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back