screeching fan belt continues (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Hi... having just returned from a round trip through Portugal to Galicia then back again via Salamanca waking everyone up each morning we departed the fan belt is now a big issue. Thanks for the previous feedback on tightening procedures which has been completed by two very competent engineers. New belts have been fitted. The screeching mainly manifests itself on wet mornings or occasionally when driving in the rain. One thing I have noticed.... one morning having started the engine (Fiat Ducato) I turned on the lights which immediately started the screeching then stopped after turning the lights off, it was the same when I switched on the windscreen wipers. Could it be the load on the alternator creating loads on the alternator bearings creating the screeching. If so is it possible to spray the bearings or are the bearings the sealed type. The screeching generally is there when pulling off then after changing gears up it disappears. Any suggestions would be appreciated not only for myself to resolve this ongoing issue but also for the campers having a lay in :)
Finally if you value your motorhome I would give Portugal a miss... the road conditions are horrendous especially along the Algarve. Lisboa is worth a visit though.

atb Neil

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Ref Portuguese roads.
First time we went I thought the same.
Then when we got back I realised I had the tyre pressures too high and also didn't pack the stuff in the hab area or the garage very securely. We went again last year with lower tyre pressures and ra-packed the van hab area and strapped down all things in the garage.
Much better and quieter.
. . . . . If you think Portuguses roads are bad then try Morocco
As for your squeeling fan belt. Have you checked the engine battery level before you set off? If it is very low then the heavy load on the alternator might be the problem, we had this on our last van, changed the battery and it was fine after that

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If the belts are at the right tightness (sic) then it's elsewhere which seems a stupid thing to say but as other posts on the subject have asked before, when the belts were off did anyone try the pressure needed to turn the alternator? It should be quite free, just a little force needed to turn the internals. Is the water pump run off the same belt? It this tight? Belts will only squeal if they want to move but what they are trying to turn don't want too.
Sorry if you've tried these but there's not much else to have a look at.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Still sounds like a slipping fan belt if it squeals when a load is applied..it may not be down to adjustment etc but if alternator drive pulley is badly worn the drive belt which I assume is v shaped will bottom out and thus no grip from the v section..Roy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The reason it screeches when you turn the lights on is that more current is being drawn from the alternator so it takes a lot more effort to turn the thing.
As already said, it still sounds like the belt is too loose I am afraid

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi... having just returned from a round trip through Portugal to Galicia then back again via Salamanca waking everyone up each morning we departed the fan belt is now a big issue. Thanks for the previous feedback on tightening procedures which has been completed by two very competent engineers. New belts have been fitted. The screeching mainly manifests itself on wet mornings or occasionally when driving in the rain. One thing I have noticed.... one morning having started the engine (Fiat Ducato) I turned on the lights which immediately started the screeching then stopped after turning the lights off, it was the same when I switched on the windscreen wipers. Could it be the load on the alternator creating loads on the alternator bearings creating the screeching. If so is it possible to spray the bearings or are the bearings the sealed type. The screeching generally is there when pulling off then after changing gears up it disappears. Any suggestions would be appreciated not only for myself to resolve this ongoing issue but also for the campers having a lay in :)
Finally if you value your motorhome I would give Portugal a miss... the road conditions are horrendous especially along the Algarve. Lisboa is worth a visit though.

atb Neil
Hi Neil, :)

We suffered the same problem, even after the tightening of existing belts, and the fitting of new belts. My mechanic pal didn't want to overtighten as it would put a strain on the alternator bearings.

We tried a different brand of multi groove belt, which was better.....................for a few weeks, then we tightened it again. While all this was going on, the step warning buzzer and horn started playing up. Within days of that happening, the alternator had burnt itself out. Not bad going really, at 17 years old.

As soon as a new alternator was fitted, the screeching disappeared, as did the other faults, so I have to assume, that the initial symptoms were a sign that the alternaotor was coming to the end of it's life. ;)

HTH,

Jock. :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Possibly the alternator pulley groove profiles are worn, so the belt is bottoming in the grooves?

No amount of re-tightening will overcome that.

Peter
As said in my earlier post . Its worth a look ..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Could be the clutch pulley especially as you say it does it when setting off and changing gears (if yours has one). Unfortunately "Fiat Ducato" doesn't partake much information without giving the year and engine size

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A clutch pulley can be recognised by having a plastic cover that keeps road muck out of the splines.
If yours is held on with a visible nut and no cover then it is not a clutch type
image.jpeg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
some belts are directional and ive heard that running them reversed can cure the squealing also the make of belt is crucial cheap belts squeal

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Dribble a little brake fluid on the belt when it is running, (not too much because brake fluid will remove paint if it sprays on the engine bay) that will stop the belt squealing but only as a temporary measure if there is a problem with the pulleys

OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
I tried the wd40 trick which worked for a while... in fact it was that good the charger light came on indicating the belt was slipping for a while. It was OK for around two days then came back. A quick spray from the top and the squeak goes. Today I have rubbed brake fluid on the belt and given the whole system a good WD40 spraying from underneath and above directing the spray right into the bearings as best as I can. Fingers crossed. The bigger issue now is the starter motor or solenoid. On two occasions now the solenoid has failed to pull in the starter motor.. you can hearing it click, not clicking due to a dodgy battery. I have no faith or confidence now as leaving it is tempting fate for it to go belly up in the most inconvenient place according to Murphy's Law. All the connections are clean and dry and well secured. Looks like an investment in a new combined unit solenoid starter assembly. Thanks for asking about the squeak. I will update as the days go by. atb

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with WD40 is it has no lubricating properties once it dries....which isnt long after spraying and it COULD attack the belt itself.
A silicon spray MAY be better.
In the past I have use talcum powder in a 'puffer' bottle.
Works for a while but the screech soon returns.
The starter may be a poor engine earth or even though the connections look good it could be wire corrosion within the crimp.
It may be worth cutting off the solenoid trigger terminal and crimping on a new one.
Pennies for a crimp or a small fortune for a starter.
I know my first line of attack.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If a belt screeches, no matter what the cause, it should be replaced because it will be worn and polished. The cause may be the belt itself that has reached the end of its useful life or any one of the suggestions made previously. My first course of action, if there's no obvious friction in the devices it is driving, would be to change the belt.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i suspect the starter solenoid issue is also down to a failing or part seized alternator not charging the battery properly. bit of a coincidence otherwise

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
V belts whether single v or poly v as in your case, drive the pullies by their flanks.
If your belt is worn, no amount of tightening will make it grip if the flanks are worn and not tight in the pulley sheaths.

New belt would be the first step.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
V belts whether single v or poly v as in your case, drive the pullies by their flanks.
If your belt is worn, no amount of tightening will make it grip if the flanks are worn and not tight in the pulley sheaths.

New belt would be the first step.

A new belt was stated in OP first post.this van was "lying" up for 5 years?
As Big1 has already posted,have you checked that the alternator turns freely?have you checked the condition of the pulleys?
From your own description,the starter motor would be best taken off and bench tested probably along with the alternator!
Good luck.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A new belt was stated in OP first post.this van was "lying" up for 5 years?
As Big1 has already posted,have you checked that the alternator turns freely?have you checked the condition of the pulleys?
From your own description,the starter motor would be best taken off and bench tested probably along with the alternator!
Good luck.

Missed that!

Just thinking outside of the box, the previous generation (pre 2007) Ducatos and Boxers, suffered with a noisy exhaust downpipe to manifold joint.
It consists of a gasket ring and is held together with two springs around two bolts.
These can make a squealing noise as the engine runs at idle.
Putting a foot on the exhaust as the engine runs stops the noise immediately.
It's a check worth doing.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I think the clue is in the use of lights putting extra strain on the alternator, Even if the vehicle starts ok
the battery may be faulty or the starter may be taking too much juice have the battery tested before the vehicle has been running then start the vehicle immediately switch off and retest the battery , or find someone with an old type battery drain tester. With mine it was the starter that took so much power to turn that it ruined the battery

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I get the same squeal ever since I had the cam belt replaced almost three years ago. (2.8 Fiat JTD). I took it back they checked tension, which was OK but it started again some short time later. It only does it when there is any moisture in the air and then, dependent on moisture for a short time, worse if I rev. Tried the sprays etc which work for a short time. I tend to just live with it now!

Can be embarrassing if trying to leave an Aire quietly early in the morning!

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Has your van been "Waxoiled"?

Some years ago we bought a brand new Land Rover Discovery, 300 tdi. We went away in it and the following morning, when I started the car, the noise from the engine was horrendous. So loud was the knocking and screeching, we thought the engine would explode. After running for a while, the noise subsided.

We carefully drove home and took it to the dealer. Initially, they could not understand where the noise was coming from. Eventually, they found that the noise was coming from the fan belt. It seems that when the vehicle was sprayed with Waxoil, some of it was sprayed on the fan belt/pulleys. When the engine had been running a while, the Waxoil on the fan belt/pulleys became hot and melted. When the vehicle had been left to cool, particularly overnight, the Waxoil solidified and glued the fan belt to the pulleys.

After thoroughly cleaning the belt and pulleys, all was well thereafter.

Just a thought! (y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Had a similar problem with our Peugeot Boxer. Squeaking when damp but new belts didn't cure it. Changing all the tensioner and idler pulleys finally fixed it - one had a dry bearing.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had a similar problem with our Peugeot Boxer. Squeaking when damp but new belts didn't cure it. Changing all the tensioner and idler pulleys finally fixed it - one had a dry bearing.

I had a similar problem on my milling machine, sprayed the belt with dressing spray, adjusted the tensions and spun the idler which felt fine but it still screeched. Once the tension was applied, the tensioner started to groan under the extra load.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Have I missed the good old fashioned cure for a squealing fan belt.

Cue Dvorjaks New World Symphony.
"When I were a lad we used to apply a good dollop (technical term) of boot polish, applied with boot polish brush"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back