Since 2013
image.jpeg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How about deeper ones we had a lorry coming the other way down a narrow lane in Norfolk!!!! I could do with deep scratch remover!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Another vote for Fewicks Windowwize here. We clipped a branch and it scratched our hab door and side window badly but this removed it and impossible to see it ever happened. A few people have posted helpful advice on YouTube.

Last edited:

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
For longer than I care to remember, I've always used jewellers rouge for removing scratches. Even if its difficult to find nowadays, its possible to make it at home with "schoolboy chemistry."

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
For longer than I care to remember, I've always used jewellers rouge for removing scratches. Even if its difficult to find nowadays, its possible to make it at home with "schoolboy chemistry."

Available on tinternet easily but I would only use it on glass.

I wouldn’t use brasso as I think that has ammonia in it? T cut certainly does.

You can but very light cutting compounds that will do the job or specific products for plastics (y)

Wasn’t there a thread some time ago giving details about scratched windows and sorting them out?

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Available on tinternet easily but I would only use it on glass.

@Silver-Fox there are different grades available. Some are, as you suggest, not suitable for plastics. Normally, I would start with blue lubricated with WD-40, then go to maybe brown. It works a treat!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This post describes how I approached the problem last year. So far all has been well although I suggest you read the later posts in the thread giving some warnings about coated windows.
Polishing the acrylic windows

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Whatever you do don’t use Solvol Autosolve. I didn’t have any brasso and thinking all polishes were the same I tried some on a large scratch. I now have a large scratch and a lot of smaller cloudy scratches. Doh.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Easiest to obtain ... toothpaste ... just some of the cheapo stuff will do the trick nicely, just gentle circular motions using a clean soft cloth and wash off ... our new Campscout had some scratches on the windows on one side where we think it was parked near a hedge/tree which rubbed against the windows, hubby's got them out with the toothpaste.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just make sure you know the construction of the window before attacking it. Some have a coating and if you try polishing them you end up with a right mess.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Easiest to obtain ... toothpaste ... just some of the cheapo stuff will do the trick nicely, just gentle circular motions using a clean soft cloth and wash off ... our new Campscout had some scratches on the windows on one side where we think it was parked near a hedge/tree which rubbed against the windows, hubby's got them out with the toothpaste.

I haven’t got any toothpaste, will Steradent do instead?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven’t got any toothpaste, will Steradent do instead?
.... might have trouble getting the windows in a tumbler .... :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back