Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Feeling a bit cheesed off - we're in the Algarve and went into a Lidl where there was a bit sign welcoming motorhomes. After we'd shopped I managed to scrape the top edge of the van under an awning for cars to park in the shade. The entry to the shop was fine - easy to get into - but the exit involved a tight corner and I was so busy watching the cars on my front left I didn't see the corner of the awning. The scraping noise was hideous.
On a site now and a lovely German man in the next door van has been up and put gaffer tape on the scratches because we could see the insulation material showing through. Ours is an Autotrail with raised sides and this is where the damage occurred. Being two women and both of us pretty short in the height department we were so pleased when he offered to help. The site loaned us some ladders and he went up and patched it for us. Kindness is alive and well in the motorhoming community.
I have no idea what the bill will be to fix it when we get back to the UK - it's put a bit of a damper on things for us but a cocktail in the bar will probably fix us.
Mags

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sorry about the damage you should ask Carlos to have a look at it

Carlos Rita Body Shop Repair , Quelfes (Near Olhao)

N37°03’51.77” - W7°48’48.32” Next to the LPG filling station

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hope you get it sorted without any big £shock when you get back. Main thing is nobody's hurt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry about the damage you should ask Carlos to have a look at it

Carlos Rita Body Shop Repair , Quelfes (Near Olhao)

N37°03’51.77” - W7°48’48.32” Next to the LPG filling station
Thanks - that's really useful information. We're not leaving here (Turiscampo) until early January but we could go and see him then. Thanks again.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to here of your mishap, but glad you are all safe . Just make sure it is taped up enough to be waterproof . Enjoy your trip.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
He did some work on our van very good and cheap + he lets you sleep in your van in his workshop and there is a hookup point and loo

Link Removed Link Removed

Attachments

• Paint Shop Quelfes Portugal.jpg
    Paint Shop Quelfes Portugal.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 92
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
:xeek: Oh sorry guys, you must be gutted , I know I would be:xsad: just wondering if it would be cheaper to find somewhere in Portugal??? @JJ might know somewhere:xThumb:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
For some reason, I read the title of this thread as "Scrapped our van", and as I was reading the post I was thinking whoa, it's a bit excessive to scrap a van because of a scrape!

Sorry to hear the news of the damage, it's never nice :(

But, try not to worry too much, I was able to have our roof fully repaired following major water damage to the point you could see daylight out of the hole which was about 14 inches wide :eek:

It might not be as bad as you think :)

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Gutted .. .. Its sooooooooooo annoying when things like that happen, I scrapped my faithful work van recently to absolute disgust at my error.

Dont drive too fast in-case winds get between layers and peel the roof off.

We remember a couple of years ago travelling on our local M27 signs flashing as debris in road ahead, as we progressed we could see personal belongings strewn across the lanes, ahead lay a "roof" upside down in the middle lane, and at the next Junction 9 in the hard should was a car with a caravan with the roof missing !!!!!!! It looked pretty old but I guess the wind got between the seals and ripped off the roof like a tin of sardines :xsurprised:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sounds like it quite possibly on the fibreglass part of the roof, if so an easy fix and not too much money, especially in portugal.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think you may get a shock at the repair bill girls.. No where NEAR what you think !!
A quick search and the place suggested has got nothing but high praise from every one who has used the place

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
So sorry to hear this Mags, I bet the air was blue!! Hope you can get a repair done in Portugal, as it will probably be quicker than the uk!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Gutted .. .. Its sooooooooooo annoying when things like that happen, I scrapped my faithful work van recently to absolute disgust at my error.

Dont drive too fast in-case winds get between layers and peel the roof off.

We remember a couple of years ago travelling on our local M27 signs flashing as debris in road ahead, as we progressed we could see personal belongings strewn across the lanes, ahead lay a "roof" upside down in the middle lane, and at the next Junction 9 in the hard should was a car with a caravan with the roof missing !!!!!!! It looked pretty old but I guess the wind got between the seals and ripped off the roof like a tin of sardines :xsurprised:
That should go a long way towards reassuring them:xrofl: I dont think the whole roof is going to blow off but do make sure the tape stays on to keep it dry.

Martin

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh no! Sorry to read this. Your earlier little mishap at the camperstop in Totana, pales into insignificance compared to this one.

Hope you get sorted soon.
Sandra and Colin

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi you two. Sorry to read about your mishap. Don't let it spoil your Christmas (I'm sure you won't) and follow up the recommendations posted here.

Good to meet you last week in Totana and hope to see you again sometime.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So sorry to hear of this. It's a b****r when it happens.

Because you have sealed it so quickly it might not be too bad - maybe a fill and paint job????

As it is on the roof it won't be too visible but still needs to be a good strong repair.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Mags, have experienced the same feeling a couple of years ago and can imagine the disheartening effect but safe to say the repairs were not as bad as I expected them to be. Try to enjoy your break and as you say a couple of cocktails and the world will seem a better place.!!

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Och well, never mind, all part of the motorhoming adventure! Hope you're enjoying your second cocktail by now!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Saw such a shame but try not let it get to you too much. I know how I felt when I done damage but no one was injured. Try enjoying the rest of your trip and just put it down to experience.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Don't worry I put a hole in my Autotrail roof same place as yours in Spain 6 weeks ago. I put gaffer tape on and drove home its still like that now as its going in to a boat repairers locally in a couple of weeks. Gaffer tape keeps it dry and your roof won't come off just check the tape every week.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Feeling a bit cheesed off - we're in the Algarve and went into a Lidl where there was a bit sign welcoming motorhomes. After we'd shopped I managed to scrape the top edge of the van under an awning for cars to park in the shade. The entry to the shop was fine - easy to get into - but the exit involved a tight corner and I was so busy watching the cars on my front left I didn't see the corner of the awning. The scraping noise was hideous.
On a site now and a lovely German man in the next door van has been up and put gaffer tape on the scratches because we could see the insulation material showing through. Ours is an Autotrail with raised sides and this is where the damage occurred. Being two women and both of us pretty short in the height department we were so pleased when he offered to help. The site loaned us some ladders and he went up and patched it for us. Kindness is alive and well in the motorhoming community.
I have no idea what the bill will be to fix it when we get back to the UK - it's put a bit of a damper on things for us but a cocktail in the bar will probably fix us.
Mags
Must be my eyes, I thought the said scrapped.......:xeek:What a difference a P can make......x:-)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
What a "Chat up Line...... Come up and see our Scratchings"
There again,there are some funny folk about,who may think you are offering some burnt Pig snack!!..Now't as funny as folk!.
Happy Christmas,worse things happen at sea.
Tea Bag

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For some reason, I read the title of this thread as "Scrapped our van", and as I was reading the post I was thinking whoa, it's a bit excessive to scrap a van because of a scrape!

Sorry to hear the news of the damage, it's never nice :(

But, try not to worry too much, I was able to have our roof fully repaired following major water damage to the point you could see daylight out of the hole which was about 14 inches wide :eek:

It might not be as bad as you think :)

You've obviously got the same reading glasses as me!!!xroll:

Mags
If one cocktail fixes it maybe two might mean it never actually happened?
Sorry to hear of your bump!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oh no.... well your better off there in the sun then here in the rain....

Just make sure it's all covered and water tight.... have you told the insurance yet ? They like to know soon as and they may even know someone local to do the work while you enjoy xmas :xsmile:

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Mags and Shirley, you've got it patched up, you've got each other and 4 wheels that still go round, so keep smiling girls and carry on. Xx

Veronica

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back