scout hab service horror story (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
My autotrail scout is in for its hab service, the service centre rang and left me a answer phone message to-night saying

1: the fridge won’t work on 12 V

2: it smells funny on gas

3: the shower won’t work? (I presume the sink and loo taps do, but I’m not sure, they did when I last used them)

4: the rear light seals are faulty

5: there are small sealant cracks around some exterior doors/lockers

6: and worst of all 3 windows have the interior vinyl crinkling around the window fitment, he thinks the windows are moving and causing the interior décor to move with it, they want to take them out and refit them.

I’m going to talk to him to tomorrow and see what’s what, not sure if I should change the m/h or the service centre? Baring in mind it’s a 05 van whose previous owner wrapped it in cotton wool It all seems a little job creative to me.

Any tips/suggestions before tomorrow morning if possible.

PS nearly forgot, hes not sure why the waste water gauge is not working and even if theres a outside temp sensor fitted...............................

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Fridge...Sounds like a fuse
Gas...Not sure what you mean by this, what are they talking about??
Shower..Again a fuse on the pump or more likely an air lock
Rear lights... re-seal them yourself its not a big job
Sealant crack... re-seal them yourself its not a big job
Windows...re-seal them yourself its not a big job
The whole lot will take an afternoon and a basic set of tools and a silicone gun and a tube of sikoflex for the windows and silcone for the lights.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1. probably the relay.

2. shouldnt smell at all indoors....why havent they done a CO test?

3. the showers on the same pipes as everything else so unless the pump works on microswitch taps, which i doubt very much, it should work regardless, even if the taps are damaged some water will come out.

4. if they cant be re-sealed a small hole (1/16")drilled in the lowest point will allow any water ingress to drip out.

5. the sealants probably dried out where its exposed to air but the covered sealant should be good. i bet they dont leak.

6. if they are properly sealed then they shouldnt move at all.....have they damp tested them. the chances are its a manufacturing fault where the material is folded over the opening. i have one area like this (wardrobe side panel to exterior wall) but the panel is solid and doesnt move.

sounds to me like job creation too.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hi. Have you got the EC200 display panel above your habitation door?
Waste water is shown as 0%< empty or 100% > full. The 50% reading is optional. The exterior temperature gauge is normaly located on the outside of the van and is an optional extra.
If you have any queries on the 12v/240 volt electrics may I suggest you contact Sargent Electrics on 014882881655 and they will send a booklet explaining your system

Ian

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Thanks for quick replies,

I just got back from seeing the service manager, and things look brighter

The windows are sort of puckered in the corner, this is supposed to have been caused by not tight fitment of the window, but we are leaving it for now, has anybody else had this? I don’t think he was just after work, I just think he was being overcautious not knowing Autotrail too much, so that has given more faith in him. (He’s a bespoke builder)

The fridge on 12v is ok now; apparently the battery light on the dash wasn't going out? But it is now and there’s power to the fridge, the smell is probably bugs on the burner, the original owner never used it on gas, so 4 years of crawlies.

The rear light seals are nothing major and the door/locker sealant is again a few mins to go around. The shower is the tap? worst case is a new tap, but it might just need freeing off,

All in all just a couple of hour extra work over the hab service, picking the van up at 12 noon so will know more then.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for quick replies,

I just got back from seeing the service manager, and things look brighter

The windows are sort of puckered in the corner, this is supposed to have been caused by not tight fitment of the window, but we are leaving it for now, has anybody else had this? I don’t think he was just after work, I just think he was being overcautious not knowing Autotrail too much, so that has given more faith in him. (He’s a bespoke builder)

The fridge on 12v is ok now; apparently the battery light on the dash wasn't going out? But it is now and there’s power to the fridge, the smell is probably bugs on the burner, the original owner never used it on gas, so 4 years of crawlies.

The rear light seals are nothing major and the door/locker sealant is again a few mins to go around. The shower is the tap? worst case is a new tap, but it might just need freeing off,

All in all just a couple of hour extra work over the hab service, picking the van up at 12 noon so will know more then.

Result :thumb::thumb::thumb:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
My autotrail scout is in for its hab service, the service centre rang and left me a answer phone message to-night saying

1: the fridge won’t work on 12 V

2: it smells funny on gas

3: the shower won’t work? (I presume the sink and loo taps do, but I’m not sure, they did when I last used them)

4: the rear light seals are faulty

5: there are small sealant cracks around some exterior doors/lockers

6: and worst of all 3 windows have the interior vinyl crinkling around the window fitment, he thinks the windows are moving and causing the interior décor to move with it, they want to take them out and refit them.

I’m going to talk to him to tomorrow and see what’s what, not sure if I should change the m/h or the service centre? Baring in mind it’s a 05 van whose previous owner wrapped it in cotton wool It all seems a little job creative to me.

Any tips/suggestions before tomorrow morning if possible.

PS nearly forgot, hes not sure why the waste water gauge is not working and even if theres a outside temp sensor fitted...............................
Sounds like somebody wants to make a few bob,you can fix these probs yourself and save a few bob:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Result :thumb::thumb::thumb:

extra result, he worked on it for a couple of hours (I was there) and he only charged me for one plus normal service, however the shower tap is going to have to be replaced, it seems to be the thermostatic controler part of the the unit, but I can get one and fit myself, and we left the non functioning of the waiste tank level, Im going with the "drive with soapy water in the tank " to see if it works. The smelly fridge on gas is were its never been used origanial oil is still on the unit, this is being burnt off, its very nearly clear now.

on the down side they told me that having two 13kilo gas tanks is too heavey for the locker (why can they be fitted in then?) but thats easly changed, and the only time I need that amount of gas is touring in france.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back