Scousebird Is Going To France (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Watch out for all the Lycra'd up cyclists. Apparently there's a large group of them riding around France. Luckily, they passed our village but didn't visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Got through the tunnel a little earlier than booked, a few migrants hanging around and lots of police. Headed over to Watten but it was more than full!. We continued south and spotted the sign for La Couple, remembered that they had a decent car park so headed there, we got there to find 2 other MH's parked so we spent a very peaceful night there.

Got up this morning and set the Snooper for Charleville-Mezieres, we were on the road at 7am and it was still fairly cool. Got a few miles down the road and the Snooper packed up! Tried to get it going but no chance it's stuffed. So we've arrived at the municipal site at Charleville-Mezieres using the old fashioned method of me map reading.

It's very hot here so we're hiding under the roll - out at the moment and when it cools down we're going to walk in to a little pizzeria we found last time we were here. :D

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got through the tunnel a little earlier than booked, a few migrants hanging around and lots of police. Headed over to Watten but it was more than full!. We continued south and spotted the sign for La Couple, remembered that they had a decent car park so headed there, we got there to find 2 other MH's parked so we spent a very peaceful night there.

Got up this morning and set the Snooper for Charleville-Mezieres, we were on the road at 7am and it was still fairly cool. Got a few miles down the road and the Snooper packed up! Tried to get it going but no chance it's stuffed. So we've arrived at the municipal site at Charleville-Mezieres using the old fashioned method of me map reading.

It's very hot here so we're hiding under the roll - out at the moment and when it cools down we're going to walk in to a little pizzeria we found last time we were here. :D

You have plenty of time to enjoy yourselves..... After you have done the Daily Quiz....

Craig got a low score "Again".... and he is feeling lonely at the bottom... :giggler:

.:lips:

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hi all. Finally got wifi again.

We'll we left Charleville-Mezieres in the direction of Metz to head over to strasbourg, we decided to overnight at Metz and found the municipal site which is right on the riverside about 10 minute walk to the town centre. Lovely site, quite basic and very busy, we were the only brits on site.
20150712_131836.jpg

We found Metz delightful and decided to stay a second night, we did the petit train tour, had a plat du jour in a local bar and chilled out on site. Wonderful.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Deeply jealous of your hols already. Thanks for posting, I love these threads.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
@scousebird Looks a lovely site Helen, and you can't beat a plat du jour. (y) Have you been following Frankie's thread, so you can say all the right things? Hope you're having a lovely time. :)

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We changed our minds about going to strasbourg and decided to follow the Moselle south to Nancy so we set off on Tuesday morning and the roads were dead, it was Bastille day so everything was closed as well. We checked all the Aires and thought we'd try the Aire at Nancy as it sounded good. We'll it was a bugger to find, we managed to drive round most of the historic part of the city, luckily the roads were quiet still and we'd given up looking for it when I spotted the building that's pictured in the guide! So a quick u-turn and we were in. Not the best of aires, it's just a car park at the side of the road but it is exclusively for MH's and the canal marina is alongside. You have to report to and pay the captiniaire and we found out there are showers available for use which was great cos it was very hot. We walked into the centre, about 15 minutes away, had a cold beer and people watched in the Place Stanislav which is wonderfully ornate.
20150714_145808.jpg

We jumped on the petit train to do the tourist thing and saw all of what we'd seen doing our MH tour of the city! It does save the feet though.

We walked back to find a party in full swing at the marina right outside our MH. They were celebrating Bastille day in a big way. We took our chairs and sat at a safe distance but we were soon included. Food came our way and we had franglais conversations. Then the entertainment started - on very drunk lady dragged a very drunk man up to dance, he took his shirt off and the danced very close and seductively then she pulled his shorts down but they carried on dancing ..... then she pulled his pants down, he just stepped out of them and carried on dancing in the buff! It was hilarious, my sides hurt with laughing. He eventually got dressed again and carried on dancing with her so some of the other party goers decided to wrap them in cling film, again my sides hurt.

We left them to walk to the firework display at a local sports arena (Alan thought it best to disappear after the drunk lady tried to get him to dance). Here we had more entertainment - well I did ladies - someone managed to start a fire in some scrub with a rogue firework and from nowhere came 8 lovely uniformed officers of the law followed 5 minutes later by 2 firetruck loads of lovely uniformed firemen. Be still my beating heart. I had all the fireworks I needed! After that I had to go back to cool down.

We had a very noisy night there which spoilt the stay but it was a good spot to be in.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
From Nancy we headed south and found another municipal site at Charmes. It was a short walk along a stream and over a bridge to the town where we enjoyed a cold beer in the local bar. There is also a very nice looking aire in the town but there was no shade and it was in the 30s so the site won. It was another basic site that looked like it had been there forever. The wardens did basic snacks at lunch and dinner time and you could order bread for the morning. There were quite a few brits on this site and lots of Dutch. We baked here but had a relaxing time.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
From Charmes we heded west to Neufchateau but decided it was too hot to do another big place so we followed the river Meuse north and found Domremy la Pucelle, the birthplace of Joan of Arc. There was a very inviting road side restaurant so we stopped and had a fabulous lunch. Just round the corner was another municipal site so we walked round to have a look - a huge flat field with no one on it so we thought it would do for us. We parked under a tree and relaxed on our own for about 3 hours until a German caravan turned up and parked about 25' away - on an empty field! Never mind, we were busy relaxing. A few more outfits did turn up but it was nowhere near full. Again it was very hot and we had to hide in the shade of the tree. We were woken during the night by rain and a thunderstorm off in the distance. The bread man called to the site thus morning so we had fresh croissants for breakfast which made up for our broken sleep.

And that leads us to today.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We're now on the municipal site at Epernay. A short walk along the river to town - yeah right - it nearly killed us in the heat of today. The pharmacy sign said it was 36.5° in the town. It was more than a short walk and in flip flops it's not good. There's not a lot to Epernay except the champagne houses. We did visit the shop at Moet & Chandon but as you may guess we couldn't afford anything and they don't do fridge magnets lol. We managed to walk back but Alan is now dead.

He did manage a beer and a meal in the site bistro before he died. A table collapsed in the bistro which caused us much hilarity.

Don't know if I'll get wifi till I get home on Sunday but will update when I can. I'll also post some more pics.

H

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There is a lovely aire at Mutigny overlooking the vineyards. It's only a couple of years old, pretty level parking and close to quite a few Champagne family houses. We liked it much better then Epernay.
Allan

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
So @scousebird what are you going to do now Alan is dead, it would be a shame to spoil your hols, can you drop him down a ditch or something with the grey waste? :hi:
It's ok. He revived himself with a bacardi & coke

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We left Epernay Saturday morning and took a slow drive past Reims and Laon then started looking for an aire. We ended up at Marcoing, just south of Cambrai. It's on the car park of an old railway station. The line is disused so it was nice and quiet. Small village with a bit of WWII history. Everything was closed except the bar! A first that we did see was a vegetable vending machine, it had courgettes and cauliflowers in it, seen bread ones before. Had one helluva downpour last night as it was cool and grey when we left this morning.

Driving to pidou in Calais we were approached by a young man while we were sat at traffic lights who asked us if we were going to England - we said no!

Now sat waiting to board our train in the brilliant sunshine but very windy. The end of another lovely trip.

Both browner and bitten by mossies in fact one of my bites I think was the horse and not the fly

Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Enjoying your posts. Hope you have a fab time x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun