Scottish stay at home order ends Friday 2nd April (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Reply received from Police Scotland copy of there email attached.
BED22A9C-9128-4761-A796-6D04C54A7F69.jpeg

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Reply received from Police Scotland copy of there email attached.View attachment 482446
Useful reply which skirts around the 'nothing to prohibit, nothing to permit' theme adroitly. Reassuring to know that the Police will not interfere as long as everyone is behaving responsibly. And finishing at 'following the guidelines at www.gov.scot' takes us back to the start of the thread, 'nothing to say I can't, nothing to say that I can'!

Steve

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Another spanner in the works here
I contacted the local MSP. So properly from the horses mouth not a councillor ( only a few know )
Copy of email below

Good morning

Thank you for taking the time to contact Michael Russell MSP. Once travel is permitted within Scotland that would mark the re-opening of tourism on the mainland (island announcement still to be made).

Details here: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-timetable-for-easing-restrictions/

It should be possible to use your motorhome after that date but you should check with the organisations of which you are a member as we can only advise, not tell you what to do.

Kind regards

Heather

Heather Wolfe | Parliamentary Assistant to Michael Russell MSP
M4.16, The Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh, EH99 1SP
Telephone: 0131 348 5738 Mobile: 07917 512080
Email: Heather.Wolfe@parliament.scot
michaelrussellmsp.scot |@Feorlean | FB: Michael Russell–Argyll & Bute SNP

*I work Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays *

Click here to view our Privacy Policy: http://www.michaelrussellmsp.scot/privacy-policy/

Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 07 April 2021 12:51
To: Russell MW (Michael), MSP <Michael.Russell.msp@parliament.scot>
Subject: Overnight stays in a motorhome

Help please sir.
I’m a member of a popular motorhome fourms and a some member are stating it’s ok to camp out or overnight on Scotland as things stand April 2021 On level 4 restriction. Can you please clarify if it’s ok for Scottish people to over in on a motorhome or camper van in Scotland under level 4 as things stand of today’s date.
Than you for help on his matter
Sam Mccaffery. from taynuilt

Sent from Sam’s iPhone

The Scottish Parliament: Making a positive difference to the lives of the people of Scotland
Pàrlamaid na h-Alba: A’ toirt deagh bhuaidh air beatha sluagh na h-Alba

www.parliament.scot<http://www.parliament.scot> : facebook.com/scottishparliament<http://facebook.com/scottishparliament> : twitter.com/scotparl<http://twitter.com/ScotParl>

The information in this email may be confidential. If you think you have received this email in error please delete it and do not share its contents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
So, there you go. Police Scotland are unable to give clarification on Covid 19 guidelines set out by the Scottish government.

Unless issuing a covid fine.

IMG_0259.PNG

IMG_0260.PNG

IMG_0261.PNG

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Help please sir.
I’m a member of a popular motorhome fourms and a some member are stating it’s ok to camp out or overnight on Scotland as things stand April 2021 On level 4 restriction. Can you please clarify if it’s ok for Scottish people to over in on a motorhome or camper van in Scotland under level 4 as things stand of today’s date.
Than you for help on his matter
Sam Mccaffery. from taynuilt
I think we all know you can’t go around Scotland Willy nilly until the 26th April , stay local means staying in your own local authority area, that’s not what you asked.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Doesn't surprise me, if Police Scotland can't understand the rules then what chance Joe Public. As I previously stated there are too many, increasingly complex rules. Best advice is to stay home and stay local.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
So, there you go. Police Scotland are unable to give clarification on Covid 19 guidelines set out by the Scottish government.

Unless issuing a covid fine.

View attachment 482577

View attachment 482578

View attachment 482579
There is no clarification to be had! Nobody thought about m/homes when the Regs were updated. The timetable sets out the move from Stay Home to Stay Local and, on 26 April, allows campsites to reopen [2nd homeowners are allowed to stay overnight to prepare the property for letting or for maintenance, but vetoes 'using it as an excuse to take a holiday']. So, in the period 5 April to 25 April, the Regs make no mention of people staying overnight in motorhomes, it was never considered. Hence the Police advice, because th Regs are silent; there is neither express permission, nor express prohibition, so 'Park up, behave, and don't be like a bear and crap in the woods whilst you are away!

Steve

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I think we all know you can’t go around Scotland Willy nilly until the 26th April , stay local means staying in your own local authority area, that’s not what you asked.
Are you willing to publish your email you received from a councillor

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Doesn't surprise me, if Police Scotland can't understand the rules then what chance Joe Public. As I previously stated there are too many, increasingly complex rules. Best advice is to stay home and stay local.
Police don't say that they don't understand the Regs. The Regs make no reference to being able to stay overnight, nor to being forbidden to do so. The Timetable sets out Stay at Home; Stay Local; Campsites Open. Never thought about motorhomers staying local AND staying overnight, so the Police cannot intervene unless you breach Parking Regs, cause environmental damage, or commit some other kind of Public Order offence

Steve

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Best advice is to stay home and stay local.
Stay home and stay local are two different things entirely. I started a thread recently about staying in the camper van on my own 'locally' and about drinking alcohol whilst parked up. Some good discussions were had and I received some excellent knowledge from the more seasoned on here regarding laws, etc. I decided to go for it and overnight on my own in the camper. I wasn't bothered by the cops on my overnight park up, but I was expecting a chap at the door.

It is a bit concerning though when you ask for clarification from the department that issue the fines and they cannot clarify anything. Personally, I think it'll be alright if you're not acting the fool and drawing attention to yourself. It would have been nice to have an email to show the cops if they did turn up though, but it's pretty poor when it's left to Joe Public to interpret the laws that could end up with them getting a fine.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Thank you for taking the time to contact Michael Russell MSP. Once travel is permitted within Scotland that would mark the re-opening of tourism on the mainland (island announcement still to be made)

Tourism. open From the 26th
If you go to another part of Scotland and stay the night by any means. Your a tourist. So according to the rules no overnight tourists allowed until the 26 th.
that includes all of us.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The guidelines are broad brush. They don’t consider every eventuality. For us, MHing is important but it affects a relatively small number of people. For the sake of 3 weeks we aren’t staying overnight but have no issue with anyone who does. Sadly we’re back at work by the 26th but I’m sure that was a deliberate decision by ScotGov. I think it’s unlikely the police will fine anyone - they only made 3 fines after the Edinburgh Meadows revelling.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I’m my question I asked about overnight in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
where did you get the Willy bits from that question to the MSP and the MSP answer

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thank you for taking the time to contact Michael Russell MSP. Once travel is permitted within Scotland that would mark the re-opening of tourism on the mainland (island announcement still to be made)

Tourism. open From the 26th
If you go to another part of Scotland and stay the night by any means. Your a tourist. So according to the rules no overnight tourists allowed until the 26 th.
that includes all of us.

I’m my question I asked about overnight in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
where did you get the Willy bits from that question to the MSP and the MSP answer
Because you already know you need to stay local, try reading the email you sent again.

I really give up with you.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Because you already know you need to stay local, try reading the email you sent again.

I really give up with you.
You really give up with me. Look at your self your bending rules to suit yourself. Staying local is not STAY ( overnight) as you believe is ok.
publish your full email with the councillor
Go on. That’s the one that you told everybody it was ok to overnight in Scotland including local.

and asking about staying in any part of Scotland includes Local without saying local

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You really give up with me. Look at your self your bending rules to suit yourself. Staying local is not STAY ( overnight) as you believe is ok.
publish your full email with the councillor
Go on. That’s the one that you told everybody it was ok to overnight in Scotland including local.

and asking about staying in any part of Scotland includes Local without saying local
Oh that old chestnut again. You’ve saw the full reply from the councillor. Asking about camping in Scotland is completely different from asking to park up within your own local authority.
Have you not noticed both my reply and Mountain man reply relate to staying local.

Now I will go back to ignoring you cos it’s like battering heads.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Let’s see your full email. The post you put was a clear as mud.
I have posted a reply from and MSP your questioning my message to the MSP. Let’s see yours in full

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot

COVID-19 RECOVERY PHASES IN SCOTLAND​

Let us make it simple for you whether you're looking to explore this weekend or planning a holiday for later this year with our Covid-19 information and advice.
Read on for:

WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW​

CAN I TRAVEL AROUND SCOTLAND FOR THE DAY?​

No. Although Scotland's lockdown has begun to ease, everyone is being asked to Stay Local. This means you should stick to around a 5-mile distance from your local council area. Travel and hospitality is expected to resume towards the end of April.

CAN I STAY OVERNIGHT ON A SHORT BREAK?​

No.

CAN I VISIT SCOTLAND FROM THE REST OF THE UK?​

No.

CAN I VISIT SCOTLAND FROM ABROAD?​

No.

WHAT ARE THE MAIN RESTRICTIONS RIGHT NOW?​

Scotland's current Covid-19 advice is to Stay Local.
Non-essential shops and some services will begin to resume from Monday 5 April.

Ashley F

Funster
Jul 26, 2016
Redcar
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2 years
This thread is going round in circles, just stay local given there doesn't appear to be any definitive answer that pleases everybody with regards to the rules. How about you do you, overnight or don't overnight between now and 26th. It's been such a rough year for everyone, why stress about what somebody else chooses to do if they believe they are still following the rules? Time to switch off imo, agree to disagree and all be thankful we are still alive and have mh adventures to look forward to, whenever we choose to begin them.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
This thread is going round in circles, just stay local given there doesn't appear to be any definitive answer that pleases everybody with regards to the rules. How about you do you, overnight or don't overnight between now and 26th. It's been such a rough year for everyone, why stress about what somebody else chooses to do if they believe they are still following the rules? Time to switch off imo, agree to disagree and all be thankful we are still alive and have mh adventures to look forward to, whenever we choose to begin them.
Well said, live and let live so long as you do no one any harm.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Stay home and stay local are two different things entirely. I started a thread recently about staying in the camper van on my own 'locally' and about drinking alcohol whilst parked up. Some good discussions were had and I received some excellent knowledge from the more seasoned on here regarding laws, etc. I decided to go for it and overnight on my own in the camper. I wasn't bothered by the cops on my overnight park up, but I was expecting a chap at the door.

It is a bit concerning though when you ask for clarification from the department that issue the fines and they cannot clarify anything. Personally, I think it'll be alright if you're not acting the fool and drawing attention to yourself. It would have been nice to have an email to show the cops if they did turn up though, but it's pretty poor when it's left to Joe Public to interpret the laws that could end up with them getting a fine.
Neither the public nor the Police have to interpret the law. The Stay at Home, leading on to Stay Local, are Guidance, which give the flexibility to cover the numerous specific events that cannot be foreseen. The Scottish Government Timetable envisages that Stay Local will be succeeded on 26th April by the lifting of travel restrictions in Scotland and the opening of campsites, so we have 3 distinct phases, Home, Local, Overnight Stays. No thought was given to motorhomers 'Staying Local' also 'Staying Out' which is anticipated to happen on 26th April. So the Guidance is silent on overnight stays during the Stay Local phase. Which means there is nothing in writing to say that you can stay out overnight; but, equally, there is nothing to say that you cannot stay out overnight. Which is why the Police replies to M/Homers who have emailed enquiries to the Police say 'Park properly, no environmental damage' and follow the COVID Guidance [which say nothing about overnight stays during the 'Stay Local' phase!]

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back