Scottish South West 300 tourist route. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've just watched "Landward" which is a kind of Scottish "Countryfile" rural affairs programme.
They'd been featuring a new tourist route called the South West 300. This is a route in the south of Scotland & does exactly what it says on the tin.
There was an element of comedy about the show as the presenters were attempting to do the route using an electric car. The panic in the presenters voices as they search for the charging point & then attempt to use the aforementioned point was quite comical, oh the future of transport looks fraught with stressful situations.
Anyway, the main point of this post is to add the link for those who might be interested in trying this route.
There are a few advantages over the more established NC500 in that getting to a starting point will be closer for the majority of the population.
The roads network uses a lot less single track roads & fuel stations are a lot more plentiful that the NC500.

BROKEN LINK

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Nice, and on our doorstep :)

I wonder how many more of these ā€œroutesā€ we are going to see over the next few years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Nice, and on our doorstep :)

I wonder how many more of these ā€œroutesā€ we are going to see over the next few years.

Yes it'd be ideal for yourselves.

I've often felt sorry for the folks that blast straight past Scotland's southwest area is their quest to reach the highlands. Now no-one in their right mind would try to pretend that the lowlands have the grandeur of the north of the country, but there is such an undiscovered beautiful area here & its practically deserted.
Wild camping is easy & generally hassle free. Parking in most places is free & spaces are plentiful too.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It almost passes our door, it's really quite nice here actually. Plenty of places to park up

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have`t done a tour around Scotland ,since the kids were a lot younger ,and in a pcv, the boss is from Montrose .
One day will persuade her to get up there again!

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
but there is such an undiscovered beautiful area here & its practically deserted.
Wild camping is easy & generally hassle free. Parking in most places is free & spaces are plentiful too.

It's the deserted bit which draws us - but as more and more initiatives are set up to increase tourism you have to wonder how long that will last. I fear the NC500, and maybe this new route, will do to the west of Scotland what Wainright did to the Lake District with his infernal walking guides ..... make something so popular that ā€œeveryoneā€ flocks to visit and promptly ruins what it is which made the area so special in the first place.

I do get, really, how important tourism is. After the Foot & Mouth epidemic here in 2001 we lost tourism for over a year. How many businesses do you know that can survive on no income for more than 12 months? Whilst the loss of livestock was devastating for farmers, they were not the only people to suffer - anyone depending upon visitors had a hell of a time and many went under.

Now, possibly thanks to the likes of Julia Bradbury and walking programmes on TV we have almost the opposite problem, there are parts of the Lake District that we just will not go to at certain times of year. Too many people, many ignorantly parked, so many folk on footpaths to the well known fells that it feels like Oxford Street at Christmas [yuk!]. We have all the main school holidays marked on the calendar at the beginning of each year and know when not to go near Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, etc., ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've just watched "Landward" which is a kind of Scottish "Countryfile" rural affairs programme.
They'd been featuring a new tourist route called the South West 300. This is a route in the south of Scotland & does exactly what it says on the tin.
There was an element of comedy about the show as the presenters were attempting to do the route using an electric car. The panic in the presenters voices as they search for the charging point & then attempt to use the aforementioned point was quite comical, oh the future of transport looks fraught with stressful situations.
Anyway, the main point of this post is to add the link for those who might be interested in trying this route.
There are a few advantages over the more established NC500 in that getting to a starting point will be closer for the majority of the population.
The roads network uses a lot less single track roads & fuel stations are a lot more plentiful that the NC500.

BROKEN LINK

We are hoping for something similar in South East Scotland :) most people drive straight through on the way up to Edinburgh and further north missing out on so much. the local authority are trying to badge the area as "Land of Myth, Mystery and History" and I hope they can make a go of it.

The electric car thing made me smile - all the people (including on MHF) who appear to think it electric is the solution !!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The trouble the presenters had with charging points (finding and using them) plus their range anxiety has confirmed that an electric car is not going to be viable in this area for some time to come.

I know that there are points being put into place on the A9, often in business premises where people will be expected to buy a coffee or have a meal. Wonder if these places will cater for people with special requirements (LDS, coeliac, diabetics etc) or if you would be allowed to use the charger if you don't use the facilities?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Electric cars are not the answer in rural Scotland. Fine on an island, but not on the mainland. A friend of mine suffered a stroke recently, it's a 150 mile round trip to visit him. Hybrid chargeable is the only practical way forward until hydrogen technology improves and becomes affordable.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Electric cars are not the answer in rural Scotland. Fine on an island, but not on the mainland. A friend of mine suffered a stroke recently, it's a 150 mile round trip to visit him. Hybrid chargeable is the only practical way forward until hydrogen technology improves and becomes affordable.

It's just over 100 miles to get to my parents house and the local Nissan garage has confirmed that their range claim is on the flat with no lights. In an emergency I would not want to stop even for 10 minutes to charge the car. With diesel I always have at least enough fuel for a return trip.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The first road maps for general use (as opposed to use by generals) were produced by fuel companies to show folk where they could fill up. I think it is expected that modern travellers will use the internet.

Gordon

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Did this last September but went as up to Ayr then back through the Galloway - really nice area, scenery and people and no midges!!

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Yes it'd be ideal for yourselves.

I've often felt sorry for the folks that blast straight past Scotland's southwest area is their quest to reach the highlands. Now no-one in their right mind would try to pretend that the lowlands have the grandeur of the north of the country, but there is such an undiscovered beautiful area here & its practically deserted.
Hi thanks for info. Will try this next spring .when we can call on brother in law. In Garlingston.:reel::drink:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Puddleduck There has been a charging point installed in a carpark in Selkirk where if you park in a marked bay you cant connect to it.:(
Sorry hijacking the thread a bit have had a couple of trips around D&G but need to do more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back