Scottish Safari. Advice sought please. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

So we have stocks of anti "beastie" repellent, and the trapping equipment for the Haggis`. However we could do with some camp-site info. On the "road to the Isle`s" (Skye, site booked) June 2017.

Our first stop is decided (Melrose CC site). and our Route takes in Falkirk, and Fort William for sight seeing purposes, (A84:A85:A82:A87?) But there appears to be a dearth of reasonably priced overnight Stopping sites. SWMBO will NOT "wild camp". And in any case the couple we are with have a car caravan combo, which excludes "pub stops" too effectively. Any idea`s would be welcome, Quiet Cl`s with limited facilities (and cheap?). Part of the problem is none of us wish to do much more than a 2-3 hours per day "in the saddle", largely for "medical" reasons. We have 3 full weeks to do it, so no rush.

Any locations would be appreciated.

Thanks Pete

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Certificated sites are relatively few and far between in Scotland in our experience. This is increasingly the case as you head further north and west, where we mostly wild camp.
There are CC and C&CC sites just north of Oban and a CC site south of Fort William. Also a large private site in Glen Nevis on the edge of Fort William.
Good luck with the tour. We never book anywhere but just see what sites we come across, or, as I mentioned above, wild camp which is easy in the Highlands (but not in the Lomand and Trossachs National Park where it is banned!).

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
When you get properly north many roads are single track with passing places, do not park in the passing places or you will become very unpopular, also use the passing places to let those behind pass. There are many parking areas where even tuggers can overnight if neaded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I use the CCC certificated sites in Scotland, can't check what there is any at the moment, but worth a try ? Otherwise my bestest advice is take a midgie net for your face, if they like the smell of you no cream or spray will stop them......only a physical barrier (y)

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Confirms much of what we where thinking!. We have a few idea`s, but not having been "up there" since the 70`s. Apart from regular (Fast) business runs to Aberdeen. We have no experience to draw on.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My advice would be simply to avoid mentioning to any locals you come across that you are on a "safari". :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My advice would be simply to avoid mentioning to any locals you come across that you are on a "safari". :ROFLMAO:

Why?. Should I try saying I am on Missionary work then?:D. Bringing "enlightenment" to an Afflicted nation?:). Now, When`s the Calcutta cup?.:whistle:.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There is a dearth of sites on the West Coast compared to the south of the UK but don't let this put you off. Try the Lochy campsite at Fort William and there are a few sites along the road to Mallaig on the way to the Skye ferry, simply the best way to go to Skye IMHO.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There is a dearth of sites on the West Coast compared to the south of the UK but don't let this put you off. Try the Lochy campsite at Fort William and there are a few sites along the road to Mallaig on the way to the Skye ferry, simply the best way to go to Skye IMHO.
Nah!!
The best way onto Skye is via the Mam Rattigan pass to Glenelg and over the Kyle Rhea ferry. Have to admit I've never done it in a motorhome though.
These days we have a preference for Mull over Skye so it's a few years since we last used the Kyle Rhea ferry.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been on the ferry in a car, wouldn't attempt it in the van though I believe others have. We visit Skye most years and since the road from Armadale was improved we generally go over that way and return via the bridge. The sites along near Arisaig are nice and again, since that road was improved, it's a great drive.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
IIRC, you are allowed to stay in the car park at the Falkirk wheel, for a fee. I believe they even lend you a key for the loos/showers, too!

You can also get a bus from there to the Kelpies, if you are inclined.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We're off to see Nessie this weekend :D (incidentally, has anyone been on google maps and checked out the loch ness area? Check out what happens to peg man! :D )
Anyway, we are staying at loch ness shores, opposite Drumnadrochit on the loch, will report back on our trip soon. :D

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Linnhe Caravan and Chalet park takes both Motorhomes and caravans and is part of ACSI. It is located on the Malaig road just west of Corpach no idea of costs but you could have a gander at the web sites. Spectacular setting.

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Linnhe Caravan and Chalet park takes both Motorhomes and caravans and is part of ACSI. It is located on the Malaig road just west of Corpach no idea of costs but you could have a gander at the web sites. Spectacular setting.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Unfortunately Not available when we are there!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back