Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Evening all

We are looking to have a week or so in the real North of Scotland :)

Just had a bit of a scan on google maps and it appears the A Roads stop towards the top.
Are the roads towards the top easily passable in an A Class?

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I haven't been further North than Fort William :)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Yes. No dual carriageway, often single road with passing places, buses and coaches use these roads so no problem for your mh

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Much easier than minor roads in Devon and Cornwall, for example. Usually have good visibility ahead, and as you'll have seen plenty of designated passing places on single-track roads. Everybody is mostly courteous, and hangs back to allow you to pass. Or of course you can do likewise, when you see another vehicle in the distance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes. No dual carriageway, often single road with passing places, buses and coaches use these roads so no problem for your mh

Excellent stuff thanks.

Im not bothered about driving on single track and using passing places as I look ahead when driving :)

Just wanted to make sure they are passable in an A Class (y) if buses use them no worries then :)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Puzzled.com

The A roads go all the way up to the North of Scotland and all the way along the north coast.

You can't beat the 'real' North of Scotland - not like that North Coast 500!

Ian

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I find the single track roads in Scotland, better to use that the narrow roads of Cornwall and Devon. At least in Scotland they have passing places and often a better view ahead.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Well I fell off me perch at that first post !!

So A roads stop at the top ? mmmm, they are ALL a roads up here even the single tracks. You softy sassenachs make us laugh, what do you think you will find up here ?

Just to let you know on the Kessock Bridge inverness there is a great big sign

Attachments

• 51Hsvh0JutL.jpg
    51Hsvh0JutL.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Puzzled.com

The A roads go all the way up to the North of Scotland and all the way along the north coast.

It was an online map and looked like just mainly single track roads.
Maybe that was to deter travellers :)

Just to let you know on the Kessock Bridge inverness there is a great big sign

That reminds me of Billy Connely telling how he made a nest in the garden and told his daughter it was a Dragon that made it :)

So A roads stop at the top ? mmmm, they are ALL a roads up here even the single tracks

Maybe I could have written a little better.
The map I looked at it appeared the roads weren't A roads, they looked like unclassified, I just wanted to make sure we could make our way around ok.

After driving around N Z Im quite happy on single track roads (y)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I find the single track roads in Scotland, better to use that the narrow roads of Cornwall and Devon. At least in Scotland they have passing places and often a better view ahead.

Probably better drivers up there as well having come across some of the "visitors" to Cornwall and Devon when holidaying there in the past.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only problem is that it's getting much busier in Caithness and Sutherland.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Probably better drivers up there as well having come across some of the "visitors" to Cornwall and Devon when holidaying there in the past.

Just be careful on some of the single tracked roads.
We have a Scottish country type show called "Landward" up here, its a bit like "Countryfile". They did a report last week on the NC500 & were asking the locals how things are?
The general report was that its been really good for business & employment in the far north, however they also reported that the infrastructure is crumbling due to lack of investment on the roads themselves.
Apparently one local garage reported that they are repairing or replacing over a hundred tyres a week! Seems this is being caused by the edges of the roads breaking up & as drivers pull over to allow passing the inside of their tyres are being damaged by the ragged edges of the worn out road.

Hope the weather smiles upon you & gives you a holiday to remember for all the right reasons.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Seems this is being caused by the edges of the roads breaking up & as drivers pull over to allow passing the inside of their tyres are being damaged by the ragged edges of the worn out road.
And it's not just up north!:rolleyes: A708 from Moffat to Selkirk is as bad for the edges crumbling.:eek: Having said that, as soon as you pass the shire boundary from D&G to SB the road condition improves considerably.(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I recommend you go for dental checkup and have any loose fillings lashed down before attempting this route......;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am currently touring on Scotland on an A class and have found thar many of the roads, even A roads are worn out and very poorly maintained. The scenery is great. However I see little of it when driving as I spend most of my time looking out for potholes. Some are really deep, I swear I saw the top on a donkeys ears sticking up out of one. That is not to say I am not enjoying our trip but the poor roads can be a bit of a pain and do spoil things little.

I was just reading another thread about people leaving litter and it seems to me it is traditional or compulsory to just throw your rubbish oot o tha widee in many parts of Scotland, at least, that’s what it looks like judging from the roadside debris. What a pity. I know it happens in other places but it just seems worse here.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was just reading another thread about people leaving litter and it seems to me it is traditional or compulsory to just throw your rubbish oot o tha widee in many parts of Scotland, at least, that’s what it looks like judging from the roadside debris. What a pity. I know it happens in other places but it just seems worse here

It beggars belief why people feel it is acceptable to just toss their cr*p out of a vehicle window.
No matter where in the country you are, or even any country.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am currently touring on Scotland on an A class and have found thar many of the roads, even A roads are worn out and very poorly maintained. The scenery is great. However I see little of it when driving as I spend most of my time looking out for potholes. Some are really deep, I swear I saw the top on a donkeys ears sticking up out of one. That is not to say I am not enjoying our trip but the poor roads can be a bit of a pain and do spoil things little.

I was just reading another thread about people leaving litter and it seems to me it is traditional or compulsory to just throw your rubbish oot o tha widee in many parts of Scotland, at least, that’s what it looks like judging from the roadside debris. What a pity. I know it happens in other places but it just seems worse here.
Are you sure you weren't in Italy? o_O That's exactly our experience of the roads and rubbish there! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Evening all

We are looking to have a week or so in the real North of Scotland :)

Just had a bit of a scan on google maps and it appears the A Roads stop towards the top.
Are the roads towards the top easily passable in an A Class?

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I haven't been further North than Fort William :)
Just be aware that the North of Scotland isn't anything like as pretty as the West, or even East sides ... it can be pretty 'bland' to be honest and visiting John O'Groats is a disappointment so don't go expecting too much!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20170927_152143.jpg
Piece of cake I'm currently up here in a 8.4 metre tag a class I've been down roads most don't venture, the main routes are simple with more passing places than necessary most of the time, that said the amount of motorhomes I've seen with mirrors held on with duct tape etc there's a lot of really shit drivers up here at the minute.
On the rubbish point with exception to maybe 3 places on this trip I haven't seen much. if you venture of the beaten track you'll find gems like this

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Just be aware that the North of Scotland isn't anything like as pretty as the West, or even East sides ... it can be pretty 'bland' to be honest and visiting John O'Groats is a disappointment so don't go expecting too much!
Correct, in fact north of wick can be by passed in my opinion . Wick to Thurso is the route .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

My observations as well, litter is a real problem in Scotland, I See people chucking litter all the time.
As for the roads pretty appalling, shows how mismanaged Scotland is at present.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Still 'prettier' than many other places in the U.K. though!

Correct, in fact north of wick can be by passed in my opinion . Wick to Thurso is the route .

What, and bypass Dunnet Head (and JoG (I know it isn't fantastic but it's a landmark nonetheless and if you're that close anyway!))!

Ian

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Still 'prettier' than many other places in the U.K. though!

What, and bypass Dunnet Head (and JoG (I know it isn't fantastic but it's a landmark nonetheless and if you're that close anyway!))!

Ian
Dunnet head ok , but jog?? Ok drive in car park do a u turn and leave , tatty ‘souvenirs shops ‘ but maybe good views of the Orkneys and pentland Firth !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
View attachment 189080 Piece of cake I'm currently up here in a 8.4 metre tag a class I've been down roads most don't venture, the main routes are simple with more passing places than necessary most of the time, that said the amount of motorhomes I've seen with mirrors held on with duct tape etc there's a lot of really shit drivers up here at the minute.
On the rubbish point with exception to maybe 3 places on this trip I haven't seen much. if you venture of the beaten track you'll find gems like this
Those ‘roads’ were the original roads before the improvements ? No passing places just peat bogs each side . Great pic

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

Dunnet head ok , but jog?? Ok drive in car park do a u turn and leave , tatty ‘souvenirs shops ‘ but maybe good views of the Orkneys and pentland Firth !

I did qualify the reference to JoG!

Last time I was there it did provide a reasonable view of Orkney (I could only see the one though!).

Ian

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I think Skye is on the cards then some of the places mentioned by others on this site.
We may not get right up the top on reflection, shame about J O G as it seems like a place you really should visit :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally I think the roads add character, it's also a difficult area to repair as a lot are one road there only so if closed for roadworks it's a nightmare, can't say I've noticed them being that bad to be honest certainly no worse than some of the ones down in the big towns.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We used our 'van in Cornwall a couple of years ago, visiting CL's.
I'm still polishing out the scratches on the O/S of the 'van.
Narrow though the Scottish roads up at the top end are, you don't get the damage to the bodywork like you do at the Pointy End.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back