Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good afternoon

Just planing one of next year's jaunts and was thinking of Arran, Kintyre, Islay and Jura.

What are the port loading ramps like at the following for a 7mt van, I read on here that some of these may cause difficulties due to steepness. Any comments or alternatives welcome.

Ardrossan to Brodick
then Lochranza to Claonig
Kennacraig to Port Ellen
Port Askaig to Feolin
and back to either Oban or Kennacraig.

I'm also guessing that a hopscotch would work out cheaper over all, what time span do i have, return in a week, month etc.

One last question, there will be no rush when there so anything in particular to look out for?

Tezza

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
There is so little ££ difference since the RTA came into force I wouldn't bother with a
hopscotch ticket. Can only comment on the Arran Ferry.. No probs and we are 7.3m.

I would suggest you add Largs to Cumbrae on your trip, not much there I admit but at only 10.5 miles circumferences its a cracking wee island well overlooked.

Ferry time crossing is only 8.5min. Famous for cycling around and 3 cycle hire shops on the island.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have been, personally they were the more disappointing of the islands we have been to, but you need to go for yourself and decide, we don't all like the same things

we couldn't get from Islay on to Jura due to size (8m) and steep slipway which must change with tides

I cant see the option you are talking about going back to Oban, I thought the only way on and off Islay was via Kennacraig, the only way to Jura is via Islay, the only choice you get is sailing into Port Ellen or Port Askaig, the latter is also the port for crossing to Jura so similar boarding issues. We sailed I and out of Port Ellen

Good distilleries if you are into whiskey and gin from Bruicladdich (Botanist) and Bunnahabhain Bev's new found favourite malt

Let us know your plans and post some photos when you go (y)

wilding was not as easy as further north and sites fairly limited but enough for the numbers there we generally found even in August when we went.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Many thanks for the replies, I was including Colonsay in the equation hence the Oban bit but found you have to apply for permission to take vehicle over there.
To be honest the wife has had a look and we saw the little isles program last night and although looks beautiful, she isn't keen and would prefer to revisit some of the areas we passed from ullapool up whilst doing the 500.

So this one is on hold for now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back