Scottish Highlands (1 Viewer)

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Hi!

Living in the Highlands, we'd like to spend nights off grid. Starting my campervan search. I looked at a Grand California, then Wildax Elara, now hoping to get an RP Rebel as it seems properly sorted for off grid while not being that big. It's not ordered yet, probably looking at ther end of the year.

I'm a photographer, probably getting around Scotland & Islands then maybe Norway.

Any hints & tips welcome.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Welcome from sunny [i.e. the rain's warmer ...] Fife, land of the inside out seagulls ...

Steve & Elaine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Good luck with getting your van, may be worth considering a safe for lenses etc. Also think about solar panels to assist in photo battery charging.
don’t waste your time looking for a 4x4 van just consider AT tyres you are better walking into a photo op rather than driving into it you miss so much behind the wheel.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi!

Living in the Highlands, we'd like to spend nights off grid. Starting my campervan search. I looked at a Grand California, then Wildax Elara, now hoping to get an RP Rebel as it seems properly sorted for off grid while not being that big. It's not ordered yet, probably looking at ther end of the year.

I'm a photographer, probably getting around Scotland & Islands then maybe Norway.

Any hints & tips welcome.
If you have grand calafornia money. Consider a CS amigo with RWD.

OP
OP
Nick555
May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Hi. Make sure you consider keeping warm. A lot of Panel Van Conversions have relatively poor insulation. And make sure the blown air heating is up to scratch.
Thank you. The insulation seems good on the RP with 3" insulation on the floor. Heating is a 6000W Truma combi d6e using diesel from the van tank, or electric from the leisure batts.

OP
OP
Nick555
May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
If you have grand calafornia money. Consider a CS amigo with RWD.
Thank you, I tried to find the Amigo, but only managed to find a PDF. Not entirely sure about a few things, offsite leisure door for instance & bed close to the ceiling doesn't appeal. I will look at their offerings though, thanks.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Welcome to the fun , from strathaven

Maybe you can post us some lovely pictures someday

Illustration Reaction GIF by Kochstrasse™ .agency

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thank you, I tried to find the Amigo, but only managed to find a PDF. Not entirely sure about a few things, offsite leisure door for instance & bed close to the ceiling doesn't appeal. I will look at their offerings though, thanks.
Hi, the bed is quite deep, compared to the la Strada designs.

CS are also quite accommodating in design changes. Maybe the could order and build with the door on the other side. I have a contact for someone there if you want me to find it. She speak perfect English

OP
OP
Nick555
May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Good luck with getting your van, may be worth considering a safe for lenses etc. Also think about solar panels to assist in photo battery charging.
don’t waste your time looking for a 4x4 van just consider AT tyres you are better walking into a photo op rather than driving into it you miss so much behind the wheel.
Thank you. Although I started as a stills tog & still do a lot of that, my main area is now drone photography. I should have made that clear. My drone kit is not going to fit in a safe, (Inspire 2/X7), although of course X7 & stills lenses absolutely. The drone work means that I need to park up close to my take off location, the drone kit is too big to carry far. In addition, it means that I can set-up comfortably on set, or at a wind turbine site for instance. I see the van as also being a control base - battery charging, on-site editing etc.

OP
OP
Nick555
May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Welcome to the fun , from strathaven

Maybe you can post us some lovely pictures someday

Illustration Reaction GIF by Kochstrasse™ .agency
Thank you. As I'm a newbie, I'm not sure of a suitable place to post photos, unless I can just spam my own post?

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Spam your own post I think is ok but there is a thread called photo of the day which would be ideal for your pictures

02CA72DD-0D16-43D8-B434-AC4340837CC4.png
B17D95B0-2710-4ED6-B3A2-3376F3797A0A.png

OP
OP
Nick555
May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Hi, the bed is quite deep, compared to the la Strada designs.

CS are also quite accommodating in design changes. Maybe the could order and build with the door on the other side. I have a contact for someone there if you want me to find it. She speak perfect English
Although I can't find the Amigo on their website, I will look at their other offerings. Which van would you suggest I look at more carefully? Also, part from the great difficulty in going to see them, are there any other issues around buying a van from outside the UK - plating, type approval etc?

Although on the face of it, RP do seem to have their act together for off-grid a little more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back