Scotlands South West coast.....a guide. (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok Hazel now that you have showed how lovely the route is. I challenge you to come up with suitable wilding spots for folk to stop at. Caeverlock Castle is easy :)

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ok Hazel now that you have showed how lovely the route is. I challenge you to come up with suitable wilding spots for folk to stop at. Carver lock Castle is easy :)

Here's the first one for you Sandra \ Hazel.

NEB wilding.jpg

The signs in the middle of the photo are the entrance signs for the C&MC site at New England Bay.
The white building to the left is a toilet block probably originally for the excellent sandy beach off to the right of the photo (or part of the original site?).
To the left you can just make out a branch off the road to a further area in behind the gorse to the left.
This area has previously been used as a camping \ caravanning area as there are the outlines of some pitches visible in the area behind the gorse.
Possibly was originally part of the site before C&MC took it over?
I've seen a number of motorhomes \ pvc's parked up in both areas over the last two \ three years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ok, that's my morning cuppa spot when it's sunny! Stop this at once or I'll have nowhere quiet to go.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I'll give 'em three weeks and they will be moaning about too many motorhomes emptying their "muck" all over and blocking up the road so the boy racers can't practice before going south.
Phil

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
If you happen to wander in the direction of Dalmellington you will find a shop recently started by friends of ours, very talented friends...…….here are two links
https://www.pinterest.ie/elizabethj...4Ntsx-bFriYxRRZtLTaJBVz4mcb6ACSxRzOPHXAnIXjnw
https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethJamesCreations/

There is a café next door to Elizabeth's(Gina) shop and also a new one opening just around the corner, on the way up to the Co-op and just below the Co-op in the old post office you will find...……
https://www.facebook.com/justtosaydalmellington/ along with the stunning flowers their are some really beautiful gifts & so much more, I don't how so much is packed in there.

There used to be a museum, but sadly that was closed down a couple of years ago, so if any of the above sound interesting to you please call in and support some of the small local businesses, you can mention that I sent you and they may say 'WHO'.....:D

Oh and an important thing to note is that there is a large FREE car park BEHIND the Area Centre (surgery, council & police ect) it is opposite the Eglington Hotel.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
They could all park outside your house......:whistle:
Yes if they had dinky toys. Now that you've got wheels again you can go exploring the route and find the wilding spots.(y)

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have a 8.2m long twin axel, do you reckon we could do this? We had to cut out a fair bit of west coastal roads when we went up to Durness ????

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have a 8.2m long twin axel, do you reckon we could do this? We had to cut out a fair bit of west coastal roads when we went up to Durness ????
If you'll be following Hazel's route above not a problem. A lot of it is main A roads. The "tightest" bits are the legs down to Whithorn and Mull of Galloway both of which have C&MC sites located on along them (Garlieston and New England Bay - just south of Drummore). Both are bus routes.
We've done a fair bit of the roads in a 7.6m (albeit a single axle).

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Been to New England Bay several times, just love the place!
Cheers, Dave (y)

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you'll be following Hazel's route above not a problem. A lot of it is main A roads. The "tightest" bits are the legs down to Whithorn and Mull of Galloway both of which have C&MC sites located on along them (Garlieston and New England Bay - just south of Drummore). Both are bus routes.
We've done a fair bit of the roads in a 7.6m (albeit a single axle).
BRILLIANT!!!!! We've been to both of these sites.

Cheers

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Did something very similar to this route 2 years ago. Enjoyed every single mile of it. Not often you can say that. Add to that the friendly welcome we received everywhere we went. Great route and great people

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Maybe I’m cautious. Whilst the road from Stranraer to New England Bay is ok the road south to MoG and some of the backroads eg Port Logan to Drummore and the road to the Kirkmadrine Stones are narrow and twisty. Our van is 6.3m PVC and I wouldn’t have liked to be in much longer/wider. Mind you,msome folk think there’s no such thing as vans that are too long/wide, just drivers not capable of driving them ... hands up, I wouldn’t be ??.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back