Scotland's MIDGES! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Can't see us heading into Europe this summer with infection rates increasing and slow vaccine take up, thought about trying the NC 500 in August but after a little research watching YouTube from last year it looks like hell on earth.
Can anyone recommend any areas in Scotland that should be midge free in August, more remote the better.
Many thanks

OP
OP

Deleted User
Really wanted to try Clachtoll Beach Campsite in Lochinver looks fantasticšŸ˜Ÿ

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Scotland midge free in August?:rofl:
Touring The NC500 after lock down in 2021:rofl:
Sorry you made me spit my cornflakes out laughing at both suggestions as if the midges dont get you, the packed out NC500 roads & campsites will. As for wilding, you will be lucky too find a spot that not known the world over as it will be on Park4nite as we discovered. Best time to tour Scotland is early spring or after late Sept for traffic & Midges.
Midge season in Scotland is normally from mid May to late Sept, its worse inland by the lochs, especially in The Trossachs region(loch Lomond)
Info sites like these are always useful(y)
Les

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Itā€™s not a midge app we need as TinL said it we will need an app to tell us what roads are choked and when the NC500 is full.
Management is very prone to being bit by flying or crawling wee beasties. I use her as an early warning for midges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We went North last July into early August last minute trip. We had two weeks of fantastic weather and managed to get to Skye. (Outstanding) We only encountered them from Fort William upto Skye. During the day when the breeze was up had no issues with the midges. Around 4 - 5 pm when the wind dropped and the calm conditions settled they came out. My god it was awful. Recall one evening parked up in a small lay-by picnic spot just being forced into the van by them when four girls drove up and set up their tents and started cooking . They had to put on net hoods to cook and feed themselves, unbelievable. So if you do go it will be horrid if they are about.
We did not venture North from Skye as reports of NC 500 gridlock was on all the radio.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Really wanted to try Clachtoll Beach Campsite in Lochinver looks fantasticšŸ˜Ÿ
Beautiful area. Last time I was there a mother and calf harbour porpoise kept going past as I was fishing off the rocks. Also seen otters there. Suilvan is a fantastic, if hard, walk if that's your thing. Open so generally a breeze which keeps away the midges. Not a major issue on site. Use avon skin so soft or smidge.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Owned by an RVOC member and his lady wife, a very nice little site, midge free, with a loverly food serving pub just outside and a super strawberry seller in the car park.

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Check out West Beach Caravan park in Hopeman between Lossiemouth and Burghead, fantastic little site
B7FE84CF-4F8B-4224-930B-4D5564A2A44E.jpeg

This was our pitch there last September, saw dolphins, seals and a Basking sharkšŸ‘šŸ‘

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im Scottish and you wouldn't get me up the highlands between end of april and end of august ....not a chance and this year it will be even worse than last year i can guarantee it. Locals with pitchforks out at all the wildspots after last years mess ...and tha campsites will be heaving.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Hadrian was kicking himself after building the wall. Totally unnecessary way of keeping the English out of Scotland ;) :giggler:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
not read through, but we were never bothered with midges when my uncle smoked his absolutely foul pipe, no idea what was in it. mum used to sy he filled it from the midden. farmer for the uninitiated where the cow poo was kept.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for all your replies very much appreciated.
Confirm my fears, decided to stay south of the boarder and make the best if it around the Yorkshire dales and Lake District.
Still a little defeated that our trip to the continent will not happen, however counting our blessing we are safe and well.

Mar 14, 2021
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I would say just come North, forget the midges as all you need is Whiskey šŸ˜€ Scenery is fantastic & midges can be dealt with by either getting so drunk you don't mind or citronella candles and pray for a breeze!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks for responding, so many newish guys dont bother, I think you have made a wise choice, but dont let it spoil your tour of The Highlands, just do it next year before end of April or after mid Sept you should be fine if you get lucky with the weather. As said The East Coast is better, the midges dont like the wind so much(y)
Happy Travels.
LES

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
It must have been diabolical wearing a kilt and having to put up with hordes of midges.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Get a midge proof head net. They can also be adapted for use under the kilt but care has to be taken when tightening the fit.:LOL:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Most of the time the midges are not much of a problem
Its just the odd bad day that scars people :oops:
You just need to learn to live with them
If it was not for the midges everywhere would be covered with holiday lodges etc

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Any Scottish camp site owners or site workers know how booking are going up there towards the NC500 in the summer?

Friend of mine is doing the NC500 in August on a motor bike. I've wished her the best of luck, she is camping in one of those canvas things........think they call them tents.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I've been looking at doing NC500 on my mbike and trailering it behind the mh. However I'll go out of season to avoid midges and tourists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back