Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Again another thread gets highjacked

Hey, I'm promoting Scotland aren't I. It looks good even at -4.

Blair Athol - glorious - the number of times I've driven past wishing I could stop is quite large. That has to be one of the most spectacular bits of road anywhere.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Would be up for it in the spring next year before we head south :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
See Morocco 2014 thread. The lengths we'll go to for a bit of warmth. I'm not alone by a long way. Born and bred in Manchester, I know all about rain. Low on midges though.
There you go again Brian,I can understand why you go abroad all time because of the ozone in your area.Your a tremendous case for Building the wall again

Bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bailey you have asked for ideas so although I've been busy I've put a little thought into this.

I live in Dumfries so fairly central for both sides of the border. As I have said before there is a farm right on the edge of town about 10 mins walk max that holds rallies for other clubs including some MH one. There is also a small site in a village just a couple of miles out of town with pub cafe and shop that allows MHs to stay over with small donation.

So my thinking is if there was enough interest I could with some help arrange a small meet to start or if there's even more interest we could go for a bigger one.

Although Dumfries might not be the most exciting place in the world there are a few places of interest and of course Rabbie burns spent most of his life here and is buried here, his house and burial ground are with in walking distance, we have loads of pubs even one Burns himself drunk in.

There lovely walks a great wee theatre which I think is oldest in Scotland or something along those lines. I would just want to make sure there's enough stuff to keep people happy for a weekend I. Sure there is.

We also have a gala week every June which would be an ideal time to visit as there are different events all week with the Saturday having the crowning of the queen and the riding of the marches then finishing of at night with a large parade through the town.

So if anyone would be up for it we could start with a small one then see how it goes from there I can check events for the area and this might help with dates.

Let me know what you all think

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Bailey you have asked for ideas so although I've been busy I've put a little thought into this.

I live in Dumfries so fairly central for both sides of the border. As I have said before there is a farm right on the edge of town about 10 mins walk max that holds rallies for other clubs including some MH one. There is also a small site in a village just a couple of miles out of town with pub cafe and shop that allows MHs to stay over with small donation.

So my thinking is if there was enough interest I could with some help arrange a small meet to start or if there's even more interest we could go for a bigger one.

Although Dumfries might not be the most exciting place in the world there are a few places of interest and of course Rabbie burns spent most of his life here and is buried here, his house and burial ground are with in walking distance, we have loads of pubs even one Burns himself drunk in.

There lovely walks a great wee theatre which I think is oldest in Scotland or something along those lines. I would just want to make sure there's enough stuff to keep people happy for a weekend I. Sure there is.

We also have a gala week every June which would be an ideal time to visit as there are different events all week with the Saturday having the crowning of the queen and the riding of the marches then finishing of at night with a large parade through the town.

So if anyone would be up for it we could start with a small one then see how it goes from there I can check events for the area and this might help with dates.

Yes sounds good most of my family are from that neck of the woods I used to go fishing in the Nith and my father was the Clark of Works at the castle and my Mother worked there.My only concern is that I will have to travel south

Bill

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Again another thread gets highjacked all i asked was if there was a interest to have a meet in Gods Country Bill

Threads don't get "Hijacked", they just develop, that's the nature of Forums, especially this one....:roflmto:

If you start making hard and fast rules as to what is a permissible response or reply, that would not be "Fun"..... in more ways than one.:RollEyes:

By the way I'm well up for a meet North of the Border, just hope I'm at home and not at work which has been the case for most of the meets this year....:cry:

::bigsmile:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Sounds great to me Gerry, and June is a good time of the year, especially around Dumfries with all those events going on, let me know if I can be of any help,

Ken
. :thumb: :drink:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I was bitten by Mozzies in 6 out of the 7 countries we visited on our Euro summer tour this year.
For some reason Mozzies love me, despite my best efforts, creams, sprays, candles etc, they still got me, and some damn big bites and swellings.

As for Midgies........ pah, tour Scotland every year, never had a problem, and never had a problem as I grew up there.....

Midgies are overated in my book..........:winky:

ps; I'm up for a Scotland meet, as long as I'm not away at work.....:thumb:

Would agree with you on this, yes, we do get midges in Scotland, but all depends on the weather conditions, they need to be right for the little blighters. So, you're right, Scotland is not the only place to get midges:RollEyes:
I can remember being eaten alive by mozzies in Brittany when we were there, equally, the midges in the Lake District carry a death wish on every human they can sink their teeth into:Doh:
We get so fed up hearing the views of southerners about "how it always rains in Scotland", so stereotypical:RollEyes: My parents who are Scottish, live in Hampshire and even they are at it now! I seem to remember funsters wallowing in mud at Peterborough, whilst we were up here having glorious weather:thumb::winky:
We spent 12 years living in Surrey and they used to have some cracking thunderstorms and downpours.........not to mention the great storm of 1987.
So, Scotland does get it's fair share of good weather.
We would love to go to a meet or a rally, but like some others north of the border, we've a long drive from where we live to reach most of the venues down south. Also, even for us to go to a meet in the north of Scotland, is quite a long way from where we are.
This is something we have to consider before we start, the problem we can see with organising a suitable venue in Scotland, is that those up in the far north probably won't want a meet near Dumfries or Sandhead, because of the distance. It all depends where you "start point" is and who can be bothered to drive the distance to the venue:RollEyes:
It's over a two and a half hour drive for us from home up to Edinburgh, let alone any further north. It is a difficult one this, choosing a venue somewhere in Scotland that is agreeable to a majority who want to attend a Scottish meet. It is understandable that people will want to attend the meets that are relatively close to their home.

Margaret & Bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Here is a link to this years which will give you a rough idea of the events that take place.

Broken Link Removed

jimire

Free Member
Mar 6, 2013
renfrewshire, scotland
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp

Sounds good. Where we live is pretty central, so count us in.

Jim and Irene

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just another thought here is a lovely wee site we use for the odd weekend away its in a stunning location only 17 miles from the M74, has a pub and big field, so we could maybe start with a small informal meet here, if anyone is interested let me know and I will call I was thinking sometime in October maybe when they have a band playing.

http://tibbieshiels.com/

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
We would be interested also, it would be great to have something only an hours drive away. :Smile:

carsan

Free Member
Jul 6, 2011
Argyll
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
Since July 2011
I'd be up for a meet in Scotland anytime unfortunately the highland meet was the wrong weekend for me. Likewise the same as you bill all the meets I've seen are for down south. I would certainly go to one in Dumfries if it came off. How about a ne'erday one ????
Sandy

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Yes please to a meet in Scotland. We couldn't make the Highland mini meet this year but loved it when we did make it.
Just a thought - is the Tibbieshiels ok for lots of MHs if it rains? I seem to remember it's grass.
Mags

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Here's a thought looking through all the threads the amount of shows and meet ups are dominated down south.The only one i know in gods country is the Highland meet at Inverness .When you consider the places and history of where I live is there a mood to create a Scottish event any thoughts

Bill

Look, the English beat the Scots many years ago and now you have to obey those in Westminster like the rest of us. You are not entitled to an opinion.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just another thought here is a lovely wee site we use for the odd weekend away its in a stunning location only 17 miles from the M74, has a pub and big field, so we could maybe start with a small informal meet here, if anyone is interested let me know and I will call I was thinking sometime in October maybe when they have a band playing.

Sounds good Gerry, I was saying only today to wife I would like to get up there and do a bit of Pike fishing before we head off for the winter warmer climes. I hear the fishing can be good on the loch, maybe others could be interested in a spot of fishing?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Alcohol – No alcohol to be brought onto camp site except that bought from Bar, (as well as the fact that we are a business, the licensee is responsible for the consumption of alcohol on the premises and is required to have control over customers consumption).

Not sure this rule would go down well at a Funster meet?

We would be interested (in principle) in a meet in Scotland, love the place & have had our main holiday up there for the last 2 years. But we wouldn't drive all up there just for a weekend meet, so timing would have to be right to make it part of a tour. Still working and spreading the 4 weeks annual leave out since getting the van is getting more and more difficult with all the lovely places we want to go.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Alcohol – No alcohol to be brought onto camp site except that bought from Bar, (as well as the fact that we are a business, the licensee is responsible for the consumption of alcohol on the premises and is required to have control over customers consumption).

We would be interested (in principle) in a meet in Scotland, love the place & have had our main holiday up there for the last 2 years. But we wouldn't drive all up there just for a weekend meet, so timing would have to be right to make it part of a tour. Still working and spreading the 4 weeks annual leave out since getting the van is getting more and more difficult with all the lovely places we want to go.
Well that rules that one out for me

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We would be up for a meet in Dumfries area it will be closer for us than some of the Fun events we attend.
But no alcohol allowed would be a no no for us. We don't drink a lot but we like to drink in and around our van. I don't want to have to trudge to a bar and queue for a pint when I can just open the fridge and crack a tinny.
As for dates just check there is no conflict with other popular Fun events such as Bring and Buy, the various MH shows etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The problem as I see it is distance and weather. Weather you know about. When the the sun shines and the midges are asleep it as good as anywhere in Europe.

Distance, for the suvvern mob, they have a choice Scotland or Switzerland and I know which is more exciting and with better weather, in my opinion.

So a great idea but don't be disappointed if you start one and it is a bit quiet.

Any thoughts on a good location ?

London to Zurich = 583 miles

London to Inverness = 560 miles

no contest !!!!!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds good Gerry, I was saying only today to wife I would like to get up there and do a bit of Pike fishing before we head off for the winter warmer climes. I hear the fishing can be good on the loch, maybe others could be interested in a spot of fishing?

Hi Keith im not a fisherman but every time we go you always see folk fishing and the bar does discount tickets for campers.

Yes i know they have a rule of no alchool we have been and even sat having a magners while chatting to the owner, if we went there i would clarify with him first but he has told me in the past its to stop gorups of youths coming from the city in tents and getting drunk. Apart from myself i dont think theres many youths in fun :ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes i know they have a rule of no alchool we have been and even sat having a magners while chatting to the owner, if we went there i would clarify with him first[HI] but he has told me in the past its to stop gorups of youths coming from the city in tents and getting drunk[/HI]. Apart from myself i dont think theres many youths in fun :ROFLMAO:

He has obviously not yet experienced groups of "Funsters" coming from the hills in their white vans, and getting drunk.........:Eeek:

Hope I'm home I will be up for it......:thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Keith im not a fisherman but every time we go you always see folk fishing and the bar does discount tickets for campers.

Yes i know they have a rule of no alchool we have been and even sat having a magners while chatting to the owner, if we went there i would clarify with him first but he has told me in the past its to stop gorups of youths coming from the city in tents and getting drunk. Apart from myself i dont think theres many youths in fun :ROFLMAO:

But most Funsters I've met are ageing disgracefully and make as much noise and mayhem as any group of yoofs. We would be most likely to spend quite a lot of money in his pub too, but don't want to be forced to.

Site looks good for some canoeing though.:thumb:

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
sssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Shame on you all ...... a thread like this could actually encourage more to Scotland and destroy the beautiful magical majesty of the Scottish wilderness.

c'mon now ..... let's just keep it our secret eh!!! Good job we have the wee Beasties on our side .... they keep a good few away.

:winky: ::bigsmile:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
sssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Shame on you all ...... a thread like this could actually encourage more to Scotland and destroy the beautiful magical majesty of the Scottish wilderness.

c'mon now ..... let's just keep it our secret eh!!! Good job we have the wee Beasties on our side .... they keep a good few away.

Indeed, we owe much to the humble midge!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
sssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

But we all know that Midgies have been extinct in Scotland for over 20 years now. We just keep it to ourselves and don't let the "Sassenachs" know.......:thumb::thumb:

Oooops, I think I just did........:Doh:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
June would be great, love Scotland, but need to get back from Morocco/Spain first. Anywhere in Scotland is good.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

:thumb:
Anywhere at all in Scotland....... end of September running into October would be great for us Gerry....... super at that time of year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back