Scotland (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Loaded up this morning, put Cecille on the trlailer and set off for a week in scotland around Dumfries and Galloway.::bigsmile:

Having a night at Penrith on the way, it's windy and showery,:cry: should have headed south.:Doh:

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 38
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have a nice time but be brave and travel to proper Scotland. Head North of Inverness and keep to the coast all the way up and round to Ulapool then down the coast again taking in Oban. We have just had two weeks up there and are as brown as we would have been abroad. Never believe the weather forecasters, they never know about northern scotland.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Paul,

It was great to meet you at Newark. Have a fantastic trip:thumb:

Dane & Hazel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Loaded up this morning, put Cecille on the trlailer and set off for a week in scotland around Dumfries and Galloway.::bigsmile:

Having a night at Penrith on the way, it's windy and showery,:cry: should have headed south.:Doh:

Have a super holiday! Dumfries and Galloway is the "forgotten region" because the majority of tourists travel straight on up the M74 and head north.
Yes, there are many beautiful places to see up there and on the way up there, but D & G has some lovely quiet spots as well.
We're just outside Gatehouse of Fleet, just off the A75, weather has been great until today. If we pass you on the road, we'll give you a wave:thumb:
Have a safe trip!
Bill & Margaret

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

I am in Dumfries so if your looking for any places to park up for the night let me know and can give you some info as mhvirgins says lovely part of the country that most people tend to miss out on.

Have fun im sure with the cv on the back we wont miss you if passing

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi

I am in Dumfries so if your looking for any places to park up for the night let me know and can give you some info as mhvirgins says lovely part of the country that most people tend to miss out on.

Have fun im sure with the cv on the back we wont miss you if passing

Hi Gerry, our son sent us a photo from his phone showing two or three motorhomes parked up at the Dock Park a couple of days ago.:whatthe:
Not sure we would choose to park there, but who knows.
We should be in France at the moment, but it's a long story...........:Sad:
Margaret

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Have a super holiday! Dumfries and Galloway is the "forgotten region" because the majority of tourists travel straight on up the M74 and head north.
Yes, there are many beautiful places to see up there and on the way up there, but D & G has some lovely quiet spots as well.
We're just outside Gatehouse of Fleet, just off the A75, weather has been great until today. If we pass you on the road, we'll give you a wave:thumb:
Have a safe trip!
Bill & Margaret

Dumfries is in England head north and down the west coast cant beat it

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Maybe just a stones throw away from England and not as rugged as the highlands but for a very peaceful touring holiday you cant find anything to beat the the Dumfries and Galloway area.

as Bill and Margaret said...the forgotten region :thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interesting to read folks comments on "The Real Scotland" not starting till well North of Glasgow or Edinburgh:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:. Thats why D & G is relatively quiet and a gem for those of us who really appreciate the wildness and tranquilly of the area and go back time after time throughout the year.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Long may it remain a forgotten region! :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for the replies. We are staying at castle cary for 2 nights then round to portpatrick for 2 nights and back to castle cary for 2 more.
We used to stay at newton stewart 30 years ago when the kids were young.
We were at auchenlarie 5 weeks ago with son and daughter with families, 6 grandkids. We didnt get round to portpatrick that time so we are off to visit old haunts.
May get further north next year. I work offshore with lots of guys from up there so i know it can be good weather.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry, our son sent us a photo from his phone showing two or three motorhomes parked up at the Dock Park a couple of days ago.:whatthe:
Not sure we would choose to park there, but who knows.
We should be in France at the moment, but it's a long story...........:Sad:
Margaret

Hi Margaret
Wont ask re the long story :ROFLMAO: As for the dock park its a very safe place and used by a few motorhomers I have had a few funsters stay there a few times. Nice and visible and the police will pop into park now and again. The 2 vans in the pic i bet one has a graphic on the side locker both low profile as they have been there on and off for the last 5 or 6 weeks there has been a third van last few days on way home from work as i just live at the other end of the park,

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Interesting to read folks comments on "The Real Scotland" not starting till well North of Glasgow or Edinburgh:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:. Thats why D & G is relatively quiet and a gem for those of us who really appreciate the wildness and tranquilly of the area and go back time after time throughout the year.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Long may it remain a forgotten region! :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

The only wild thing about D&G is the Rugby 7s every year Also its Handy for folks in the north of England who dont like to travel far

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks for the replies. We are staying at castle cary for 2 nights then round to portpatrick for 2 nights and back to castle cary for 2 more.
We used to stay at newton stewart 30 years ago when the kids were young.
We were at auchenlarie 5 weeks ago with son and daughter with families, 6 grandkids. We didnt get round to portpatrick that time so we are off to visit old haunts.
May get further north next year. I work offshore with lots of guys from up there so i know it can be good weather.

We love Portpatrick! I think you might have just missed the folk festival, I heard someone mention it on Radio 2 recently. We're 5 minutes along the road from Auchenlarie, it's really stretched out over the past few years, but great views from most areas of the site. Our daughter worked at the take-away during our holidays from Uni:Smile:
Mossyard beach might be safe enough for wildcamping, you could always check at the farm if you wanted to stop off there, might be worth asking.
Or Port Logan and Port William are really quiet as well, if you're over as far as Portpatrick.
We you come back along the A75 you will see a sign for Skyreburn, just past the Tea Pot Cafe at the lay-by, we're just a few hundred yards up that road.
Enjoy your stay:thumb:

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

The west is best as my as I'm concerned:thumb: We lived in Largs for a few years and are very familiar with the Clyde coast............would move back in a minute:Smile:
Many great times were spent on the Cumbrae with hired bikes when the kids were young.
Margaret

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We love Portpatrick! I think you might have just missed the folk festival, I heard someone mention it on Radio 2 recently. We're 5 minutes along the road from Auchenlarie, it's really stretched out over the past few years, but great views from most areas of the site. Our daughter worked at the take-away during our holidays from Uni:Smile:
[HI]Mossyard beach [/HI]might be safe enough for wildcamping, you could always check at the farm if you wanted to stop off there, might be worth asking.
Or Port Logan and Port William are really quiet as well, if you're over as far as Portpatrick.
We you come back along the A75 you will see a sign for Skyreburn, just past the Tea Pot Cafe at the lay-by, we're just a few hundred yards up that road.
Enjoy your stay:thumb:

We were on mossyard beach a couple of times when we were up there a few weeks ago, wife and a couple of the grandkids were in the sea::bigsmile:::bigsmile: but the rest of us thought the water was too cold.:RollEyes::RollEyes:
Dry this morning and the sun is trying to break through, head up there in a couple of hours, should be in the Lairds Inn tonight, not cheap but loverly meals. ::bigsmile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
We came back from D & G about three weeks ago, where we spent 2 weeks wildcamping, we parked up along the raiders road, which is toll road, one night by the viaduct, we also spent a few nights at the cree rspb sanctuary, penhamine pond, glenamour, and a load of other places, if you need to empty your toilet then you can use the toilet by the sainsburys at newton stewart, as there is an overnight toilet open, just up from gatehouse of fleet there is a an old viaduct where we stayed the night (the viaduct was used in the film the 39 steps). We were never botherd by the foresrty commision guys mainly because we didnt leave a mess or set up a permamnet camp site, if you have dogs then thye will love it. There is also a nice place to park by a place called Black Loch, which is located along the old edingburgh road, if you have an os map it is where the photo of a stone witches hat has been taken.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back