Barabus

Free Member
Apr 29, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Bare with us as me and the missus are very new to MHing. We are planning a 2 week trip this summer to Scotland and would be very grateful for any tips on when is the best time to go and on wild camping inparticular.

I would also like to do a spot of fly fishing on the lochs does anyone know if this is free?

Also not sure where to go but would like to take in Loch Ness.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may give us.

Simon & Elia :winky:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I personally would give a miss till end of August, it's the midge season, they appear as the sun starts going down till nightfall.

We prefer the west coast, but this is the midge main home with all the water but by then should be OK.

The central region is nice also mountains and moors.

Farther north more rugged but still great.

Scotland is so large you can spend weeks on end there and still have plenty to see, with most people once visited you keep going back, it is very difficult to recommend any particular part, its all great.

As to wild camping take your pick unless a sign says different, you are spoilt for choice.

Can't help with fishing never have.

Best get a map out plan a route don't try too big a daily mileage and enjoy.

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Bare with us as me and the missus are very new to MHing. We are planning a 2 week trip this summer to Scotland and would be very grateful for any tips on when is the best time to go and on wild camping inparticular.

I would also like to do a spot of fly fishing on the lochs does anyone know if this is free?

Also not sure where to go but would like to take in Loch Ness.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may give us.

Simon & Elia :winky:

Hi, Barabus
We offer free overnight stopovers (Link Removed) about 10 miles from Loch Ness and can point you in the direction of other wild sites in the highlands.

Fishing for brown trout on lochs which are not stocked (don't quote me) is acceptable (legal) as long as there is an inflow and an outflow to the loch and as long as there is no sign that indicates that you need a permit (this means that the loch is probably stocked with rainbow trout)

If you have any further queries let me know - and I hope we may meet you when you come north

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You can check the 'Midge' forecast Link Removed after 20th May.

Maybe the midges know they cannot come out till then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit: I can fully recommend Brin Herb nursery, we stopped with them last year and had a very warm welcome.

Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
The best time to come to Scotland is in the spring, if you come in the summer the dreaded midge, the east side dont have as many as the west, however if you come to the west try parking near the sea as the breeze might at bay.
We've been here in Scotland for the past 5 weeks mostly wilding it theres plenty of places where you can park up example on the side of Loch Linnhe on the A828, on the shores of Loch Leven, on the north side, but you'll have fun finding places and safe travels. any more sleepyspot PM me

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
After early June the big car park at Fort William (first one as you come in from the south) is a great place to spin for mackerel, also the jetty at Inverary.

Loch Ryan is also a good spot.

Try the road to Malliag and Ardnamurchan http://www.argyllonline.co.uk/index.asp?id=186

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Loch Ness

Go to the northernly part of Loch Ness.

There is a pub carpark where you can stay overnight.

You'll meet up with the 'official' Loch Ness Monster Investigator who has been parked up there for over 10 years.

Have fun up there.

June

mazzaH

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 08
Exp
Scotland Trip

Hi

Interesting to see this question - we were hoping to go to the North West in a couple of weeks but have been doing some research into the dreaded MIDGE! I might have been put off unfortunately - does anyone have any first hand experience especially of the little blighters on the North West Coast? I have not been there for 45 years and I am sure we had no problem with them then!

Cheers

mazzaH

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If you are going to the north coast, you are normally not bothered too much by the midges, don't seem to like the wind. We have found the worst concentrations on the west coast, by the Lochs. Have never been particularly troubled on north west coast, north coast or east side of Scotland.

Now just watch it prove me wrong, as always when you give advice.

Hope this helps

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
The best time to come to Scotland is in the spring, if you come in the summer the dreaded midge, the east side dont have as many as the west, however if you come to the west try parking near the sea as the breeze might at bay.
We've been here in Scotland for the past 5 weeks mostly wilding it theres plenty of places where you can park up example on the side of Loch Linnhe on the A828, on the shores of Loch Leven, on the north side, but you'll have fun finding places and safe travels. any more sleepyspot PM me

Thats all i hear Midges Midges and more Midges i have toured Scotland every year at all times and never had problems with Midges When they do come out put on Avon skin so soft also bare in mind that weather conditions have got to be perfect ie no breeze for them to surface

Bill:Cool::Cool:

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Go to the northernly part of Loch Ness.

There is a pub carpark where you can stay overnight.

You'll meet up with the 'official' Loch Ness Monster Investigator who has been parked up there for over 10 years.

Have fun up there.

June

That'll be the Dores Inn.

Be warned - they hold Rock Ness in Dores - second weekend of June, I think, so avoid that weekend. There are plenty of other layby parking spots along the south side (Dores is on the South(East) side of the loch although at the North (East) end), but have to admit that the view from the car park is one of the best of L Ness

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back