Scotland tour- advice, please (1 Viewer)

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
:help:
We're in the early stages of planning a trip up country (to Devon folk that's anywhere east of Tiverton ::bigsmile:).
The rough outline is; visit my aunt and uncle in the Midlands for a day or two; maybe spend a few days in the Lake District; visit my aunt in Bo'ness and 'do' Edinburgh (or one or both of these could be done on the way back south); and this where the dilemma comes in...
Do we
i. Take a ferry from Oban to the Outer Hebrides and spend,say, a week exploring there; then ferry from Storoway to Ullapool before having a look at Wester Ross, travelling up to Inverness alongside Loch Ness (probably eastern side), Aberfeldy, Perth, Forth road bridge, Berwick, etc.
ii. Take ferry from Mallaig to Skye, tour for a few days, back across the bridge then take Wester Ross from the south and so on,
iii Take ferry from Oban to Mull, spend some time looking around before taking the ferry to Kilchoan explore up to Morar, then Wester Ross etc. as in the other ideas.

I know I should probably take in the whole lot, but not all on this trip (save some for later). So my appeal goes to all the Scots, Scotophiles and people that have done one or more of the above.

After Scotland we intend to spend a few days in Northumberland, visit Pat's aunt and uncle in Newcastle, then spend some time on the Yorkshire moors before making our way home.
Proposed time of travel - June July.
Proposed duration 3 or 4 weeks

Oh yes, and what about those pesky midges?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.
Thank you all in anticipation :Confused::thanks2:

John and Pat

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If your in Aberfeldy the landlord of the Black Watch pub was very happy to let you wildcamp in his car park! (providing you drink in his pub)
The food was fantastic there!
The worlds smallest distillery is there too!
If i was there i would visit Pitlochry!
Its a Beautiful little town and just up the road!
Home of Bells Whiskey!
You can take the tour! (if you don't plan on driving)

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If your in Aberfeldy the landlord of the Black Watch pub was very happy to let you wildcamp in his car park! (providing you drink in his pub)
The food was fantastic there!
The worlds smallest distillery is there too!
If i was there i would visit Pitlochry!
Its a Beautiful little town and just up the road!
Home of Bells Whiskey!
You can take the tour! (if you don't plan on driving)

Blimey Ian, you're up early.:whatthe: I've forgotten what six o'clock looks like (other than dark::bigsmile:).
Thanks for the tip, we'll bear it in mind.
No particular feelings about the rest?

Thanks
John:thanks:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We go to Scotland at least once a year. A good little jaunt is to stay a few nights at the CC site at Bunree (near Onich). From there its just a short hop to Oban and (inthe opposite direction) Fort William. From Bunree go to the CC site at Morvich and then onto Skye via the bridge. Take the Portree road and half way to Portree there is a little campsite on the right (you cant miss it). Then up through Portree to Staffen.(turn left just before the town for a major co-op store) We like to stay there for a day or so buzzard spotting, before going down the west coast. Langol is worth a visit for the spectacular views etc. We hav'nt been to Mull or the Outer Hebs yet - there is just so much to do and see everywhere. However, we hope to get there someday !!

Good luck with your trip.!:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Blimey Ian, you're up early.:whatthe: I've forgotten what six o'clock looks like (other than dark::bigsmile:).
Thanks for the tip, we'll bear it in mind.
No particular feelings about the rest?

Thanks
John:thanks:

Didn't put his clock back:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes i did RR!:Tongue1:
Just didn't go to work so was up early looking for new job!
Got an interview at 02.30!:thumb:
Talk about the early bird catching the worm?

docted

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
Scotland Tour

Jaydee

The midge does not like Avon Skin So Soft, apparently the armed forces use this, lovely boys they are too.
I would head straight for Skye and take ferry across to Outer Hebrides try Link Removed .
You will be able to spend 10-14 days on the Outer Hebrides covering from North to South: Lewis; Butt of Lewis, Standing stones at Callanish, Timsgarry with Stornaway to refill the food stores. Harris; just south of Borve is one of the worlsds best wild sites,overlooking a lovely beach Berneray; once again wild camping on the machair. Empty and refill tanks at the ferry terminal.Anywhere on the Uists and Benebecula the ferry terminal at Eriskay, on the beach at the airport on Barra. By the tiome you have finished this you will want to stay for the rest of your life but you can return to the mainland and travel across to Inverness personally I would stick to the west side of Loch Ness. The trip down would include the other places you have mentioned including Edinburgh and Bo'ness.
Enjoy your trip
Docted

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Jaydee,

Three to Four weeks sounds a long time, especially relating to the Yanks who do "it" in three to four days.
You might like to consider heading from Gretna to Dumfries, Kirkcudbright and the Rhins of Galloway, Stranraer, follow the Coast up to Culzean Castle, the " Electric Brae ", Ayr, Ardrossan, take the Ferry to Arran, round Arran and take the Lochranza Ferry out over and down to Campbelltown, then follow the coast up past the Crinan Canal, then take a trip over the Bridge over the Atlantic to Seil Island, on up to Oban, cut across then to Callander, The Trossachs, down to Edinburgh, follow the East Coast to Gullane, North Berwick, Coldingham, Eyemouth, Berwick and into Northumberland.
Next time you can head for Fort William and on up etc,etc.
Some of the roads are narrow but not with high banks and hedges like around Tivvy, I lived in Cheriton Fitzpaine at one time and used to tour Scotland annually, so you have quite a journey just to reach Gretna.
Enjoy your tour.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Jaydee,

Three to Four weeks sounds a long time, especially relating to the Yanks who do "it" in three to four days.
You might like to consider heading from Gretna to Dumfries, Kirkcudbright and the Rhins of Galloway, Stranraer, follow the Coast up to Culzean Castle, the " Electric Brae ", Ayr, Ardrossan, take the Ferry to Arran, round Arran and take the Lochranza Ferry out over and down to Campbelltown, then follow the coast up past the Crinan Canal, then take a trip over the Bridge over the Atlantic to Seil Island, on up to Oban, cut across then to Callander, The Trossachs, down to Edinburgh, follow the East Coast to Gullane, North Berwick, Coldingham, Eyemouth, Berwick and into Northumberland.
Next time you can head for Fort William and on up etc,etc.
Some of the roads are narrow but not with high banks and hedges like around Tivvy, I lived in Cheriton Fitzpaine at one time and used to tour Scotland annually, so you have quite a journey just to reach Gretna.
Enjoy your tour.

Thanks for the suggestions; we 'did' The Trossachs and Callander a couple of times a few years ago when visiting my aunt and we spent some time around Loch Lomond earlier this year.
My Dad always raved about Wester Ross so, though we won't now be able to tell him about it, we decided that it was the thing to do next year. It's choosing between The Outer Hebrides, Skye or Mull that's causing the dilemma. Over the next few years we will probably cover them all, but what to do this trip??? :Confused:

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Jaydee

... snipped... personally I would stick to the west side of Loch Ness. The trip down would include the other places you have mentioned including Edinburgh and Bo'ness.
Enjoy your trip
Docted

Thanks for the ideas. Why would you prefer to stay west of Loch Ness? I sort of assumed it would be carrying the lorries and heavy stuff, whereas the little road up the east side would be quieter - or am I wrong?

John

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Both Skye & Mull are great to visit. I believe the Ferry from Oban to Mull is quite expensive, but Lochaline to Fishnish was not expensive in my opinion, and the views going that way are far better .
Just one little tip fill up with fuel at either Oban or Fort William before venturing to the remoter parts as it can get very expensive.
I also want to visit the Outer Hebridies at some time.

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just one little tip fill up with fuel at either Oban or Fort William before venturing to the remoter parts as it can get very expensive.

Ah, good tip. Must remember that one:thumb:

Thanks

John

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We go to Scotland at least once a year. A good little jaunt is to stay a few nights at the CC site at Bunree (near Onich). From there its just a short hop to Oban and (inthe opposite direction) Fort William. From Bunree go to the CC site at Morvich and then onto Skye via the bridge. Take the Portree road and half way to Portree there is a little campsite on the right (you cant miss it). Then up through Portree to Staffen.(turn left just before the town for a major co-op store) We like to stay there for a day or so buzzard spotting, before going down the west coast. Langol is worth a visit for the spectacular views etc. We hav'nt been to Mull or the Outer Hebs yet - there is just so much to do and see everywhere. However, we hope to get there someday !!

Good luck with your trip.!:thumb:

Lots of good stuff here. :thanks2:
I think we're moving more towards exploring Skye for this trip - but like you I want to see Mull and the Outer Hebrides. Next time perhaps. And what about the north and Orkney?
:thumb::thumb:

John

docted

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
John
The preference for the west side of Loch Ness is Monster spotting opportunities. In the evening with the sun setting low in the west it is the best chance to spot the famous monster and another good reason is that the road runs the whole way up that side as opposed to the single track with passing places on the east side.

Docted

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
John
The preference for the west side of Loch Ness is Monster spotting opportunities. In the evening with the sun setting low in the west it is the best chance to spot the famous monster and another good reason is that the road runs the whole way up that side as opposed to the single track with passing places on the east side.

Docted

Ah! I see. I'll bear that in mind. Thanks

John:Smile:

Jules

Free Member
Nov 27, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Scotland

Hi, we have done Scotland several times, covering most of the places you've mentioned. I would not try and do everything in one trip.

Our first trip was a short one to Arran, then up to Fort William.

Next was the Outer Hebrides, a 2 week trip sailing from Oban to castlebay (5 hrs and rough!)
Travelled up to Stornaway, you need to wild camp on some islands as there aren't always camp sites. Then over to Ullapool and back down via Loch Ness. This was comfortably done in 2 weeks, but could have taken a few days longer easily. we used Calmac Hopscotch ticket 8.

We did the Edinburgh Fringe festival over a long weekend (4 days) stayed at Drum Mohr and got the bus in.

This year we did Orkney, again a 2 week trip. focussed mainly on 'mainland' Orkney and Hoy. Went to/from Gills after a night at Dunkeld and then John O'Groats, spent 5-6 days on orkney then travelled along to Tongue and down along loch Loyal to Lairg. Then stopped near Aviemore before heading home.

Also consider costs as the ferries can be quite pricey, I think we payed £280 for our Outer Hebrides ticket for 2 people and campervan in 2006. Orkney was cheaper, and shorter crossings.

we are yet to do Skye and would like to see Cape Wrath as well, Oh and Mull, and Edinburgh again. we could do Scotland every year and still find plenty to do.

Jules

OP
OP
JayDee

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We got given a Rough Guide to Scotland for Christmas, so the planning will start in earnest (wherever that is) after we get back from Tenerife (going next week for a fortnight - hope it's warmer)

All the bits and pieces given here will be taken into account,
Thanks very much for all your input.

We'll probably let you know how it all went - unless it was a total disaster and then we'll never talk to you again. :roflmto::roflmto:

Definitely Skye though, then Wester Ross.

See some of you at Newark no doubt.

John

H

hillwalker

Deleted User
Thanks for the suggestions; we 'did' The Trossachs and Callander a couple of times a few years ago when visiting my aunt and we spent some time around Loch Lomond earlier this year.
My Dad always raved about Wester Ross so, though we won't now be able to tell him about it, we decided that it was the thing to do next year. It's choosing between The Outer Hebrides, Skye or Mull that's causing the dilemma. Over the next few years we will probably cover them all, but what to do this trip??? :Confused:

u must visit glencoe,stunning:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back