Scotland today (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I picked this up on a Scottish Forum, is this what it’s coming to? Not good news going forward for certain.

Anyone planning going anywhere near Lochearnhead south & north side best avoided , we didn’t even get 20% along the south road and we doubled back , literally hundreds of wild campers blocking the roads , parked in passing places , campfires everywhere , social distancing not being adhered to , the north side just as bad , I don’t think I’ve ever seen it that bad

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sad but not surprising I suppose.

We've done so well here in the highlands during covid but are now really concerned, not about tourists per se, but about this sort of reckless behaviour. All the FB pages say "I'm self-contained/ I don't pose any threat/ I pick up after myself/ etc" but it's the sheer volume (plus those few who just DON'T clear up) that's going to lead to more and more of the sort of attitude shown by the Glencoe councillor who's pushing for a ban of all m/h throughout Scotland after the appalling damage and WASTE that's been left in places like Glen Etive. (No, it'll never happen, but we don't need people to FEEL that way.)

I have to take my van 120-odd miles to Inverness for a recall fix - it's an overnighter and I usually just park up but I may decide to go on a site - I'm worried about backlash response and will plaster the van with 'local' posters.

Deleted User
I read the original comment as “campers” not Motorhomers :confused:

I also didnt miss the irony of the person moaning on a forum about wild camping, when they were basically just upset they couldn’t get a spot themselves. :LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Lochearnhead has always been a popular hotspot for wild camping. I think it more looks like a gypsy site.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I read the original comment as “campers” not Motorhomers :confused:
You're right, and in the original fb conversation the OP states "the majority are tents and abandoned cars , not MH or campers" - as it often is, but it tends to be mh's who get the public blame - I suppose because we're more obvious on the roads.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sturgeon has just been on TV stating very clearly that closing the England Scotland border is very much still on the table. Interesting.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You're right, and in the original fb conversation the OP states "the majority are tents and abandoned cars , not MH or campers" - as it often is, but it tends to be mh's who get the public blame - I suppose because we're more obvious on the roads.

The quote that I stated on my OP On MF is as I read it in full,it made no mention of what you have printed above otherwise I wouldn’t have brought it to the attention of MF.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The quote that I stated on my OP On MF is as I read it in full,it made no mention of what you have printed above otherwise I wouldn’t have brought it to the attention of MF.
It was further down the thread.
I still think your post is highly relevant to us here.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That woman needs putting on a roundabout and hopefully will disappear up her own .....
Haha but I have to say Brian that from here, whatever anybody might think of her nationalist/ separatist politics, I think she's done a brilliant job during this crisis. She's been decisive, clear, & shown great leadership skills. She's explained the rationale behind her decisions and got pretty much everybody on-side. Covid is fairly well contained in Scotland so the main threat now is from outside.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Not seen many MH up around here yet, saw 5 last week over on west coast whilst we travelled over to Cove, one who had travelled up from Northumberland. I'm up and down the A9 to Inverness and only seen 1 this week.

Very few Covid cases in the Highlands, and we'd like it to stay that way. Please ignore the appalling grammar in the P & J.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sturgeon has just been on TV stating very clearly that closing the England Scotland border is very much still on the table. Interesting.
I wonder how that would work for me and Alan, his house being based in England and mine in Scotland.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Haha but I have to say Brian that from here, whatever anybody might think of her nationalist/ separatist politics, I think she's done a brilliant job during this crisis.

A Scotland-wide 'Clap for Nicola Sturgeon' has been organised to coincide with the First Minister's 50th birthday next week.
The applause is set to take place on Sunday, July 19 at 8pm in recognition of Ms Sturgeon's role in guiding the country through the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

so are the scots behind the "Clap" for the dear leader day then?
it's a good run up to the military parades and 6 hour TV specials once independence is granted to the Democratic peoples republic of North jockistan.

Pete

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A Scotland-wide 'Clap for Nicola Sturgeon' has been organised to coincide with the First Minister's 50th birthday next week.
The applause is set to take place on Sunday, July 19 at 8pm in recognition of Ms Sturgeon's role in guiding the country through the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

so are the scots behind the "Clap" for the dear leader day then?
it's a good run up to the military parades and 6 hour TV specials once independence is granted to the Democratic peoples republic of North jockistan.

Pete
I will pass. I don't think she really deserves a clap for doing her job, not as if she's putting herself at risk to save others.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
We drove along Loch Earn on Friday evening heading to Killin and though there were various parking areas being used, it was one particular parking spot where there were a lot of folks/ tents, with 2 police attending, but we did then pass a couple of police vans which appeared to be heading along the loch towards this area. We came back through a couple of hours ago on way home. Didn’t look to bad at that time. However, the same parking spot which was very busy.

The site that we were staying on at Killin was about 2/3 full. However, mostly adults, only noticed two caravans which had children.

The M90 wasn't particularly busy but did see a few other motorhome heading north. I think next weekend will be much busier with the opening of shower blocks, play areas, cafes etc.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We drove along Loch Earn on Friday evening heading to Killin and though there were various parking areas being used, it was one particular parking spot where there were a lot of folks/ tents, with 2 police attending, but we did then pass a couple of police vans which appeared to be heading along the loch towards this area. We came back through a couple of hours ago on way home. Didn’t look to bad at that time. However, the same parking spot which was very busy.

The site that we were staying on at Killin was about 2/3 full. However, mostly adults, only noticed two caravans which had children.

The M90 wasn't particularly busy but did see a few other motorhome heading north. I think next weekend will be much busier with the opening of shower blocks, play areas, cafes etc.

Been up in Highlands for a week - very few campers. Guy in small van on loch shore all that time. May have porta potti but doubt it and nowhere to empty as toilets in Torridon not open yet. Similarly tents in camping area (no facilities). English plates so maybe don’t know rules.
Only one cafe open here with v limited take away facilities - most eateries are open from Wed/Thurs. many local areas asking folk to bring food so as not to have to go in Shops.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just walked the dog on a local beach, busy as I've seen it. 4 or 5 dozen people and perhaps 3 dozen cars. Also 3 motorhomes and 1 campervan.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Not seen many MH up around here yet, saw 5 last week over on west coast whilst we travelled over to Cove, one who had travelled up from Northumberland. I'm up and down the A9 to Inverness and only seen 1 this week.

Very few Covid cases in the Highlands, and we'd like it to stay that way. Please ignore the appalling grammar in the P & J.

Funny I've noticed the same despite reading on other forums about how ram packed the roads are in Scotland with motorhomes and campers.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We are just back from a few days away on a small 5 van CL in Perthshire. 1st night we were the only ones on site, but the last 2 nights we had 2 others. Really thought we would be struggling to get space, thinking lots of people would be trying to get away.

Passed a few vans on the M90, but nothing outrageous.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Not keen on the woman but with regard to Covid has came across better than Boris IMHO

For a little balance...........

Indeed, many north and south of the border have actually praised Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon for her administration’s handling of the crisis. Her champions claim she has protected the Scottish people in a way Johnson has not protected the English.
But this is a gross misrepresentation of how the pandemic has actually played itself out in Scotland, and is certainly not borne out by sober analysis of the data. Far from protecting Scotland, the evidence suggests that the SNP-imposed lockdown has needlessly exposed the country’s most vulnerable citizens to Covid-19.

Pete

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Nicola Sturgeon admits she has made mistakes but listening to her daily I believe she is sincere in her belief that it is her duty to try to protect Scottish people to the best of her ability.
Mistakes she may have made but she cannot be criticised for underestimating the virus or for having a cavalier approach to handling it. She has been criticised for following Boris doing everything he does 2 weeks later, yet went into lockdown earlier and made masks mandatory earlier.
I would hate to be in either of their shoes to be honest but, as a Scot living in Scotland, I am happy with the way she has handled it.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
For a little balance...........

Her champions claim she has protected the Scottish people in a way Johnson has not protected the English.

Never claimed she has done a better job
What I have been impressed with is that she was willing to admit she was not sure of some of the decisions and some of these were not the best in hindsight
I don't support the SNPs ultimate goals but that's not a discussion for Fun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back