Scotland - The Ranch & Blair Drummond Sites (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Help me decide please, as I'm close to flipping a coin or letting the dog decide :LOL:

I'm currently at New England Bay, Scotland and due to leave Tuesday morning. I intend staying on the west side for a while and I'm moving up to Bunree on Sunday 17th, where I'll hopefully be joined by kayaking & motorhoming guru @andy63 after the Fife meet.

I'm torn between extending my stay here until the 17th, or splitting my journey north and visiting another couple of sites for a night or three each.

Has anyone used either or both of the title sites, are they worth a visit, or should I stay where I am ?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Help me decide please, as I'm close to flipping a coin or letting the dog decide :LOL:

I'm currently at New England Bay, Scotland and due to leave Tuesday morning. I intend staying on the west side for a while and I'm moving up to Bunree on Sunday 17th, where I'll hopefully be joined by kayaking & motorhoming guru @andy63 after the Fife meet.

I'm torn between extending my stay here until the 17th, or splitting my journey north and visiting another couple of sites for a night or three each.

Has anyone used either or both of the title sites, are they worth a visit, or should I stay where I am ?

Hi ken.. can't help with your decision.. I'd be looking at the forecast to see if that helps make up your mind..
I'll hopefully get that sorted in morning and let you know ..
Andy.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Hi Ken, I would stay at New England bay mainly for the beach and the excellent fishing. The Ranch is an associated site near Culzean castle and to be honest I was less than impressed with the site on our first and last visit 6 or 7 years ago. There is a handier CC site in Ayr itself at Craigie gardens which we use a lot. It's a nice 15 minute walk along the river to the beach and the same into town, plenty of restaurants and things to see and do. There is a good train service into Glasgow or Edinburgh. HTH.

Ps arrived at the Field in Lincoln awaiting the air show over the weekend, maybe catch you next time. Good Bass fishing on the tide at Terrally point which is the top right of the beach at New England bay. Also if you look straight out you will see some buoys, there is a shallow reef there which is used by the local crab fishermen. You get Pollock, Mackerel and Bass dependant on the flooding tide. Another option is Port Logan where the harbour opens out into the Irish Sea. Paddle out about 500 yards and you will be in 100ft of water where you will get larger Pollock and Cod off the bottom. :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
........ Good Bass fishing on the tide at Terrally point which is the top right of the beach at New England bay. Also if you look straight out you will see some buoys, there is a shallow reef there which is used by the local crab fishermen. You get Pollock, Mackerel and Bass dependant on the flooding tide. Another option is Port Logan where the harbour opens out into the Irish Sea. Paddle out about 500 yards and you will be in 100ft of water where you will get larger Pollock and Cod off the bottom. :D2

Thanks Brian,

It was fairly windy today, so I was using those pot markers as my outer drift limit, followed by 10 minutes hard paddle back in, repeated until the arms protested. First catch of the day and first catch on the new kayak was a Pollock off Terrally Point. It was a border line keeper, but was given the benefit of the doubt and released after a quick photo.
Plenty of Mackerel caught, but only one made it as far as the Cadac and Zack claimed half of that :LOL:

A regular from the site, out in his inflatable reckoned Port Logan was washed out with the strong wind today, but it's always an option for next week.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ken why don't you come along to the Fife meet if you can't decide where to go.

We are heading to Troon today if you fancy joining us. Will be wilding at the harbour ftil Mon.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Culzean Castle CCC Site is excellent. Right next to the castle looking across the Irish Sea. In a good day I'm told you can see Ireland. Nice site and amazing castle with access to beach below the site, down the cliffs

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Kingham What about C&MC site at Maragowan? https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/scotland/stirling/maragowan-caravan-club-site/
OK a bitty further up than Blair Drummond but it's a decent site (about 4.5 hours from NEB). Think it's one of @Mags52 favourites?
The drive from there up to Bunree is under 2 hours and takes you through Glencoe so you could stop and take in a bit of the scenery.
The River Lochay runs along the side of the site with free fishing for site residents. Think you would be able to take to the water either at the site or close by (but better check) and paddle down into Loch Tay. There certainly is a gravel bank 5 mins walk, over the bridge and through a field, opposite one of the hotels at a bend in the river. They have some small boats moored there.
There's a pub (with live music on some nights) just outside the entrance and Killin, with a few other eateries \ drinkeries, is 15 minutes walk away. The Falls of Dochart are in Killin and the way the weather has been recently should be in full spate.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Was at Maragowan a few weeks ago, it was full to the gunnels but should be quieter now unless its weekend.
Agree about being good site for fishing and watersport, a lot of it going on when we were there. Nice walk to the head of the Tay.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all your suggestions, but two days in a row of waking to blue skies and kayaking, has made my mind up to stay where I am for the time being.

The weather's set to deteriorate tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get back out on the water during the week and get a bit kayak fitter before meeting up with Andy.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Maragowan's quite pleasant, lots of lovely walking from the site. Easily accessible but take care crossing the bridge over the Falls - both driving and on foot! - I've seen more than one coming-together there.
BUT - (and I don't know 'cause I don't have my book to hand) - if it still says they have swimming on site, THEY'RE FIBBING!!!

Oh - and they have a 'sister' site with no facilities for semi-wilding.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Kingham @andy63
If you're still up there 20-23 Sept how about this as an outing?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Those dates graded as red. One below the top level.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Less than an hour from Bunree.
upload_2017-9-9_16-0-18.jpeg

upload_2017-9-9_16-0-52.jpeg

upload_2017-9-9_16-1-11.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Kingham @andy63
If you're still up there 20-23 Sept how about this as an outing?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Those dates graded as red. One below the top level.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Less than an hour from Bunree.
View attachment 184830

View attachment 184831

View attachment 184832
I'd feel safer out at Coryvrecken :D

Is that Connel, just north of Oban. If it is, I remember watching the tidal races from the bridge last time I stayed at North Ledaig and they looked scary enough then.

When Andy mentioned getting a couple of paddles in, we're not kayaking !.... Just paddling at the water's edge, then buckets & spades and perhaps an ice lolly :LOL:.... Far safer !!

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your been silly now grant:LOL::LOL::LOL:..
Correct. Fished out a boat just above there. Spectacular sight but, eh, no thanks! Yip, that's a chicken you hear clucking!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd feel safer out at Coryvrecken :D

Is that Connell, just north of Oban. If it is, I remember watching the tidal races from the bridge last time I stayed at North Ledaig and they looked scary enough then.

When Andy mentioned getting a couple of paddles in, we're not kayaking !.... Just paddling at the water's edge, then buckets & spades and perhaps an ice lolly :LOL:.... Far safer !!

Sorry, thought I put the link in previous post.
Yip, The Falls of Lora.
http://www.fallsoflora.info/

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed at Blair Drummond for a night some time ago and found it very nice.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
@Kingham What about C&MC site at Maragowan? https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/scotland/stirling/maragowan-caravan-club-site/
OK a bitty further up than Blair Drummond but it's a decent site (about 4.5 hours from NEB). Think it's one of @Mags52 favourites?

Yay! One of our favourites and a reminder of how good the CMC sites can be. It's a really lovely site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back