Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
That sounds like someone that is very up for a referendum, oh I wish you would happen it might help clarify the bitter and toxic relationship, from a minority, against those further south that appreciate and want to visit this part of the UK. We really love everything about the Scottish Highlands including the people (most).
Who mentioned a Referendum? 'Bitter & toxic relationship?' Utter twattery. The thread is entitled 'Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination', nothing to do with matters political or economic

Steve

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
+1 from another English immigrant who moved to Scotland almost 22 years ago. Bearing in mind that I have worked as a Housing Officer in locations such as the Gorbals and Anderston, making home visits to deal with Rent Arrears, Anti Social Behaviour and other awkward situations, I expected to get some 'anti English sentiment'. Not a bit. Not once.

People who bang on about anti English sentiment are invariably based in England; and often think it's just a wee bit of banter to describe a certain senior political figure as Wee Jimmy Krankie, or refer to us as 'Jocks' etc.

Steve
What can I say?
Mine is a personal opinion, based on what we have experienced.
I am sure that many will have a different view (although no one can dispute the midges)
Not that it matters, aside from a bit Covid variation, we mostly head south anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That sounds like someone that is very up for a referendum, oh I wish you would happen it might help clarify the bitter and toxic relationship, from a minority, against those further south that appreciate and want to visit this part of the UK. We really love everything about the Scottish Highlands including the people (most).
I didn't see anything in D.ten 's post that could in anyway be construed as a "we want a referendum" so don't know where you got that from unless you're just :reel:

The statement could refer to anyone driving a motorhome who is not proficient in doing so. So, could refer to any Sassenach (which in it's truest sense includes by far and away most of the Scottish population) or, more likely non-Britons who we have met more of in rented motorhomes in Northern Scotland than Sassenachs.

The lack of proficiency is the fundamental issue not the nationality of the renter.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
What can I say?
Mine is a personal opinion, based on what we have experienced.
I am sure that many will have a different view (although no one can dispute the midges)
Not that it matters, aside from a bit Covid variation, we mostly head south anyway.
Then, perhaps you should reflect on what you say and how you say it, before complaining about anti English sentiment. Because I have had to sit in properties in and around some badly socially deprived areas in Glasgow and explain to people that, if they can't/won't desist from breaching the terms of their tenancy because of their proven anti social behaviour, or can't/won't keep their commitment to pay their rent and to maintain the arrears clearance, the only option for me as their Housing Officer will be to arrange a Court Hearing to have them evicted.

I never received any anti English sentiment in dealing with such situations and similar others, when, one might reasonably expect confrontation, verbal and/or physical to arise. But, perhaps I was just lucky for the entire period of my work and my subsequent dealings with the Scots amongst whom I have lived for almost 22 years. Do you think that I should worry that my sainted existence is going to run out one day?

Steve

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Do you think that I should worry that my sainted existence is going to run out one day?

Steve
Yip, I was in The Caley Hotel in Leven last week and I warned all the locals to be on the lookout for you!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I didn't see anything in D.ten 's post that could in anyway be construed as a "we want a referendum" so don't know where you got that from unless you're just :reel:

The statement could refer to anyone driving a motorhome who is not proficient in doing so. So, could refer to any Sassenach (which in it's truest sense includes by far and away most of the Scottish population) or, more likely non-Britons who we have met more of in rented motorhomes in Northern Scotland than Sassenachs.

The lack of proficiency is the fundamental issue not the nationality of the renter.
You are making some assumptions yourself - certainly not fishing just not too keen on others telling us to keep away as it’s their exclusive domain. Scotland is part of the UK and is free to be enjoyed by us all.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You are making some assumptions yourself - certainly not fishing just not too keen on others telling us to keep away as it’s their exclusive domain. Scotland is part of the UK and is free to be enjoyed by us all.
and that ties back to the referendum comment in your initial response how?:unsure:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
and that ties back to the referendum comment in your initial response how?:unsure:
Because there was a strong assumption that the highlands is for locals; we are never going to be aligned.

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yip, I was in The Caley Hotel in Leven last week and I warned all the locals to be on the lookout for you!:giggle::giggle::giggle:
You sarky old bugger! Most of Scotland has been warned about me, but I still catch the odd one off guard ... :LOL: (y)

BTW, aiming for The Beeches for a chilling out weekend tomorrow ... More financial profligacy coping with these high fees ... :rolleyes:
Steve

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
You sarky old bugger! Most of Scotland has been warned about me, but I still catch the odd one off guard ... :LOL: (y)

BTW, aiming for The Beeches for a chilling out weekend tomorrow ... More financial profligacy coping with these high fees ... :rolleyes:
Steve
The Beeches is that the site next to Tentsmuir if so I might give it a visit sometime and walk through Tentsmuir to see my sis at her Tayport static.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
I did go to Scotland once, it was cold and wet, I get enough of that visiting family in Ireland, I see no reason to go through it on a holiday.

Then there's the accent. I've worked with enough Scots over the years to know I need an interpreter, face to face I can sometimes manage, no chance on the phone.

Then there's the distance. I can take the channel tunnel and be somewhere nice in less time than it would take me to drive to Scotland.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Then there's the accent. I've worked with enough Scots over the years to know I need an interpreter, face to face I can sometimes manage, no chance on the phone.
Hey! That's a bit like the pot callin' the kettle black!:RollEyes::tounge:

Jist yu hae a gander here!

and just in case you missed it! :whistle2:

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
God I’m lovin this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Deleted User
Ive come across a bit of anti-English sentiment in my 3 years up here to be honest, but who can blame them!!
When you actually read up on what really happened up here Im in complete agreement with them (and at least theyre honest about it).
I used to regularly speak to an old lady when walking my dogs each day, loathed the English, we got on great! (I may have occasionally let it slip my Grandad was Scottish though!) :D

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The Beeches is that the site next to Tentsmuir if so I might give it a visit sometime and walk through Tentsmuir to see my sis at her Tayport static.
One and the same, and all for a £5 per night in the Honesty Box! The statics site is a little over a mile, cutting through the Nature Reserve at the first left turn marked Tayport, and then a meander through part of the Golf Course and turn right at the Community Café, alongside the works for the new Touring Caravan pitches.

Steve

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I’m a solo vanner and just not confident enough to drive abroad by myself. I’m looking forward to visiting Scotland, probably next year. It looks beautiful.
There is a solo site on here for solos to arrange to meet up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back