sambate1955

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm looking to do the Scotland North Coast 500 mile route in mid Septemner.

Has anyone else done this route? - what did you think of it? Any tips or suggestions. Places that are a must to visit etc?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I'm looking to do the Scotland North Coast 500 mile route in mid Septemner.

Has anyone else done this route? - what did you think of it? Any tips or suggestions. Places that are a must to visit etc?
Go anti-clockwise. The west coast is the best scenery. Don’t listen to those saying Scotland is rammed. It isn’t we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was if anything, quieter than normal.
It’s not so much places that are must visit, more just cruising along and taking in the fantastic views.
I’ve toured this route for over forty years on motorbikes, in cars, in the motorhome as well. The days of it being a great motorcycle ride I think are gone. Too many motorhomes and caravans. Never mind I got to do it when nobody went there.
It’s a great area that is being a little bit spoiled by the creation of the NC500. Unfortunately there are people now going that wouldn’t have gone prior to this route being advertised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I did the west coast part of it, as far north as Ullapool in mid May. I would guess the crowds in mid September will be similar to when we went. I started at Loch Lomond. Syke was the only place I thought a bit too touristy, campsites busy and scenery not as spectacular but to be fair it was wet. Wild camping sites not as common in NC500 but used my Brit Stops book a few times that worked our well. Fort William a bit tired but few nice campsites on the edge of it if you can get in. My advice…..go for it but don’t plan too much until you get a feel for it and see what you like. Avoid Applecross hairpin road. Lots of other single track roads but they are all well signposted. 7m van no. issues.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
It is all lovely-, budget tip -source big supermarkets for fuel as way up north petrol/diesel is dear .... watch out for wood lorries they take no prisoners! But there is too much on nc500 to cover in a reply or one trip - you won’t see it all but you will enjoy it/ love it / have adventures xxx

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Suggest check websites such as https://www.northcoast500.com
and https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/tours/driving-road-trips/north-coast-500/
You need to be aware some sections are tricky in places, as PG said.
Also there is a myth that you can park up anywhere in Scotland - the wild camping law is intended for folk in tents on foot, not motor caravans. There is tolerance towards careful parking in remote areas, but for all our sakes please be considerate of locals.

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
We did it in may, we did go anti-clockwise gold panning was good just inland of Helmsdale - they sell the licence to do it in the pub there. Dunnet head and Durness are top spots - lovely beaches. It was a great trip.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dunnet head and Durness are top spots - lovely beaches. It was a great trip.
Naw, it's really rubbish!

1626243868638.png

1626243963844.png

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do a search... NC500 has been covered numorous times recently on here.👍👍👍
Thanks for answering a question I know your intenions were honotable and hopefully this set the OP on his way, but please note this type of answer it not allowed here. Not everyone has permission to use the search and some newbies struggle with it.

A better response would be, Hi, the NC500 is a popular topic, here are a couple of links to get you going. Link. LInk etc (y)

See the section under Rule 1 Rude Short Answers

This is worth a read too

Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back