Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Morning folks(y) I know this topic has been covered soooo many times before and to be honest, reading the previous threads I have an vivid image of a wall of midges on the borders keeping us all out:D Not sure if this is done to keep Scotland quiet and put us soft southerns off, if so, it's working:whistle:

We have a couple of weeks off the first two weeks in June and we are considering our options for where to go. My wife has just had an op and she has requested we stay and tour our wonderful Isles in case we need to go back to the hospital for whatever reason, so France is off the list for this year. We love beaches and dramatic scenery and having visited the western side of Scotland, including Lewis and Harris, albeit in September, we had thought to continue and explore the north western side of Scotland.

However, I'm hesitant due to the stories of the midges, not being able to go out and enjoy the wonderful beaches and lochs and as for the evening, don't even think of stepping outside, or even leave windows and doors open; it doesn't sound like much fun:unsure:

Any advice from those that have ventured up in early June will be much appreciated(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The NW of Scotland is, in our opinion, the most scenic part of the country and well worth a visit. Unfortunately early June is midgie season but take heart, they only come out in warm still conditions, any kind of a breeze disperses them quite quickly although rain doesn't seem to. If you can stay away from wooded areas or lakesides you'd be okay but that of course is what Scotland is.

We've had trips where there were none to be seen, others where we've been chased away, it's the luck of the draw. If you're affected by the bites anti-histamine creams and tablets are effective. Many swear by Avon Skin So Soft, which is often on sale in campsite shops in affected areas, and used liberally seems to work for us.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; unfortunately that's nature!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
If they are about it makes enjoying the open spaces a real pain. Sitting on the lake side can be like a sea mist of midges. They do put some deterrents in place but once was enough for me.
I can be the same in some parts of France with the local mosquito's where you can be eaten alive.

Just as the previous posts had stated and what I had in mind, a wall of little biting midges ready to pounce on anyone brave enough to venture up North:(

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
The NW of Scotland is, in our opinion, the most scenic part of the country and well worth a visit. Unfortunately early June is midgie season but take heart, they only come out in warm still conditions, any kind of a breeze disperses them quite quickly although rain doesn't seem to. If you can stay away from wooded areas or lakesides you'd be okay but that of course is what Scotland is.

We've had trips where there were none to be seen, others where we've been chased away, it's the luck of the draw. If you're affected by the bites anti-histamine creams and tablets are effective. Many swear by Avon Skin So Soft, which is often on sale in campsite shops in affected areas, and used liberally seems to work for us.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; unfortunately that's nature!

Thank you @TerryL, you've been most helpful and yes, very much nature and wouldn't want it any other way; we'll try and get up there in late September(y)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Skin so soft is Ok, but I think Smidge is better.

Amazon product ASIN B06XWJ2ZKT
I live west of Glasgow and spend lots of time up the West coast and around Loch Lomond.

It’s fair to say on bad days the midges can be debilitating - but if it’s windy and dry or your near the coast (with onshore breeze) then it’s an awesome place to be.

When it’s really bad - take a midgy hood!

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Deterrent i believe. We use it for flies etc and have found it reasonably effective.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
However, I'm hesitant due to the stories of the midges, not being able to go out and enjoy the wonderful beaches and lochs and as for the evening, don't even think of stepping outside, or even leave windows and doors open; it doesn't sound like much fun

The beaches tend to have onshore breezes & the infamous midge isn't as attracted to beaches as they are inland.
Try avoiding forestry areas, any towns visited are usually midge free & whatever you do, DO NOT open your moho doors with the lights on inside at night.
If I were you I'd try the Galloway & Ayrshire coasts, two reasons for that, a much reduced chance of being invaded but midges & you'll always be within striking distance of high quality hospitals.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Deterrent i believe. We use it for flies etc and have found it reasonably effective.

It is questionable whether the current Skin so Soft actually works - they changed the formulation a while back that removed the citronella that was once an ingredient.

Most of the “proof” statements around it - such as the Marines use it, are from around 2005 or before.

There is an Avon Bug Guard spray that might work - but I’ve not tried it.

- Edit / Correction: Just spotted that you can buy Skin so Soft “Original” - that DOES have citronella in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
The beaches tend to have onshore breezes & the infamous midge isn't as attracted to beaches as they are inland.
Try avoiding forestry areas, any towns visited are usually midge free & whatever you do, DO NOT open your moho doors with the lights on inside at night.
If I were you I'd try the Galloway & Ayrshire coasts, two reasons for that, a much reduced chance of being invaded but midges & you'll always be within striking distance of high quality hospitals.
Really appreciate your input and will certainly consider the Galloway & Ayrshire coast as a possibility(y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I’m expecting Tyree to be far too windy for midges next month, but from there we’re heading down to a sea kayak symposium at Tayvallich and the little blighters are already partying at the news of my pending arrival.

I’m going armed with plenty of Smidge, citronella candles & incense sticks, my new home made ‘sliding door’ mozzie net, long sleeved tops and mozzie face nets as a last resort...... Not that I’m bothered or anything :LOL:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
As has been said so many times, travel up to the highlands either early or late in the year if you want a decent chance of not having your holiday spoilt by Midges. We did the NC 500ish route in late April, not a midge in sight(y) Want to do the bits we missed ASAP but will wait until back end of September, maybe even next April.
If you can, stay away from Skye & The NW coast in peak season as its packed with hire vans now, its a victim of its own marketing success, and the campsites are raking it in:eek:
We took Skin So Soft, Smidge & Piriton tabs, thankfully didn't need them this time, had many a visit spoilt in the past, SIL had infected lumps on her for weeks after return home, needed hospital administered injection to calm it down.

We recently stayed on a lovely CL near Durness, I asked the English Crofter owner how he survived the midge season living there, he said since he got rid of his animal stock, the midges were not so bad as they were....interesting I thought, hadn't heard that before, livestock attract midges:unsure:

@ambulancekidd advice is spot on as usual as he lives there, D&G coasts are the best bet to enjoy a holiday this time of year, maybe also the East coast, away from Forrest's and inland lochs
PS: Ticks are also a problem, especially if you are taking dogs!
Have fun, its a stunning place if you get the weather & your out of the midge season.
Les

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
2 weeks ago we had a brilliant week in Strontian, but then the weather changed and out came the midges, time to move, went down to Lake District and had another brillliant week, it was like being abroad, never go when midges out. Avon skin so soft is good, even sprayed our dog and they stay away.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Get lots of tattoos done and eat plenty haggis suppers before you go and you'll be fine. They don't like inky blood and the haggis makes them think you're local.
We train them to attack southern softies from anywhere south of Edinburgh as they are technically English anyway and likely voted no in the referendum :p

I never get bothered with midges although being from Fife in Scotland I never go up the north west after may 1st and before sept 1st as it's full of annoying tourists in hired motorhomes causing all kinds of carnage

The mosquitos in Spain in the other hand are eating me alive and I look like a lepracy victim.

They either like your scent/taste or they don't some get really eaten alive with them and others they don't seem to touch....although that doesn't stop you eating them etc

Basically anywhere near trees , inland water such as locks and rivers and anywhere near Heather is midge central....the coastal bits are nowhere near as bad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I know it's a matter of perception & that you should defer to your good lady's wishes...
...but Northern France is about the same distance, travel time as is mid Scotland from Cheltenham.

I did Fort William & Lisieux as destinations.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are in Scotland in early June there is a place at the Millport rally @Hellski @irnbru

Have a look at the rally calendar to see other rallies that might be on when you are in Scotland. There is also space at Edingburgh but that might be too late for you.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
for some people,start taking vitamin B1 2 weeks before and keep taking it all through the holiday. my wife is really bothered by them and it works for her. failing that revert to the old scottish remedy, whisky. don't rub it on, drink plenty and you don't give a toss about midgies, or anything else for that matter. east coast is better for midgies as its usually windier.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Morning folks(y) I know this topic has been covered soooo many times before and to be honest, reading the previous threads I have an vivid image of a wall of midges on the borders keeping us all out:D Not sure if this is done to keep Scotland quiet and put us soft southerns off, if so, it's working:whistle:

We have a couple of weeks off the first two weeks in June and we are considering our options for where to go. My wife has just had an op and she has requested we stay and tour our wonderful Isles in case we need to go back to the hospital for whatever reason, so France is off the list for this year. We love beaches and dramatic scenery and having visited the western side of Scotland, including Lewis and Harris, albeit in September, we had thought to continue and explore the north western side of Scotland.

However, I'm hesitant due to the stories of the midges, not being able to go out and enjoy the wonderful beaches and lochs and as for the evening, don't even think of stepping outside, or even leave windows and doors open; it doesn't sound like much fun:unsure:

Any advice from those that have ventured up in early June will be much appreciated(y)
We are camping in the midges (forest) at the moment. We have good quality midge face hoods on (so do a lot of others) dont buy the cheap ones on Ebay as the net holes are big enough to let them through!!!
41qvbe8YoqL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Mrs Fusion bagged 35 midges inside the van (our garage vents into the habitation area) with this:
51gdUEKMfYL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The rest were killed off with mozzie heated liquid killer.
Dont forget protection for your hands !!!

We use so soft but the only secure protection is a physical barrier :(

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Seen our first midges in the garden this morning, wind has since got up and they've gone.

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Hellski - could I ask how your holiday went? we considering the same place this year....pondering the same concerns you had! We'd like to visit Mull and Skye.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a house in NW highlands ... prefer October to May but always go for a week or so in July or August too. It is variable. From years when we’ve had few/no midges to having to run from car to house ... when it’s bad they even get in through the double glazed windows ...
we use sun hats with nets on them, smidge the midge and we also have full midge jackets for getting the boat prepped.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We have a house in NW highlands ... prefer October to May but always go for a week or so in July or August too. It is variable. From years when we’ve had few/no midges to having to run from car to house ... when it’s bad they even get in through the double glazed windows ...
we use sun hats with nets on them, smidge the midge and we also have full midge jackets for getting the boat prepped.
Och get yer kilt on with nothing underneath, give the poor midges a feed! :rolleyes::imoutahere:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back