Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
Just back from a 3 week tour. Oban, ballachulish and fort william seem to be the main hotspots, though you can get them anywhere if the conditions suit. Skye was largely midge free. Also had quite a few at Bellingum near Kielder water so not just a scottish phenomenon.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Was up there 3 weeks ago and made the mistake of parking by loch Garry under the trees ( near invergarry) smugly the missus and me settled down for our evening meal with all the window tightly shut gazing at a beautiful view with the light wind slowing down to a gentle breeze, I have seitz roof lights and didn't realise that even fully shut that still have passive ventilation, And the small passive ventilation hole are like the Blackwall tunnel to the Scottish midge,
We had literally thousands inside with us before I realised the problem, luckily I used a can of mosquito killer that dispatched them but still left us with many bites,
My small dyson was needed to hoover up the corpses and nearly half filled the container,

I spent most of the next day midge proofing the MH, over all the drop vents/ all the roof lights/ extractor fan outlet/ heater inlet pipe and adjusted habitation door for better fit,
Lesson learnt don't park under trees near a loch with no wind!!!
Sorry Tony was it my post about Bunree that you were responding to.
Brian & Jo

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Sorry Tony was it my post about Bunree that you were responding to.
Brian & Jo
It was a general reply that covers the west coast of Scotland invergarry is just south of loch ness so still a good way from the coast but plenty of midges three weeks ago, just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I live right on the edge of the Galloway Forest Park, am Scottish born & bred so I'm all too aware of the misery midges can cause. However, over the, last few years my wife & I spent a few nights in a camp site at the north end of Loch Lomond (no view of the loch) just near to "The Green Welly" food stop & they had the midge catching machines all over the site. Now our second trip there was in July & it had rained all day. It was warm & by the evening the sun was out, it was a beautiful evening & we were able to sit with the camper tail gate open, glass of plonk in hand til very late in the evening & I wasn't bitten once! Scotland came onto its own that night & we reveled in the peace & quiet. I cant remember the name of the site but a bit of research might go a long way in making your stay more comfortable.

PS; just remembered, Pine Tree's park.

Robert & Hazel.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
tI live right on the edge of the Galloway Forest Park, am Scottish born & bred so I'm all too aware of the misery midges can cause. However, over the, last few years my wife & I spent a few nights in a camp site at the north end of Loch Lomond (no view of the loch) just near to "The Green Welly" food stop & they had the midge catching machines all over the site. Now our second trip there was in July & it had rained all day. It was warm & by the evening the sun was out, it was a beautiful evening & we were able to sit with the camper tail gate open, glass of plonk in hand til very late in the evening & I wasn't bitten once! Scotland came onto its own that night & we reveled in the peace & quiet. I cant remember the name of the site but a bit of research might go a long way in making your stay more comfortable.

PS; just remembered, Pine Tree's park.

Robert & Hazel.
Just a shame that the Scottish tourist board couldn't fit midge catching machines all over Scotland !! It would do wonders for the tourist industry ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back