Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Just starting to think about a trip to the Highlands and west coast in early April in our camper. I am not sure what the weather will be like at that time of year (although it is Scotland so I am not expecting it to be warm and sunny for a whole week) or what my itinerary should include. If anyone has some useful experience of touring at this time of year I would be glad to hear it and factor it into my thoughts.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It will be gorgeous with all the wild flowers in bloom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kip

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It will be wet cold and misty, and frankly the best time of year to visit! :D
Can you imagine anything more spooky than Loch Ness covered in a blanket of mist?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We tour Scotland year round, take the weather as we find it. You might get sunny and you may get snow. You won't get midges and it won't be very busy. Just go, West coast is more senic but we tour everywhere. Enjoy.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I am getting the impression that over thinking is to be avoided. Take warm clothes, waterproofs, an open mind and see where you end up. Your lack of direction is inspiring me!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As most have said you can get anything weather wise, one thing that won't change is the stunning scenery and hospitality.

Once you have worked out a rough route feel free to ask questions.

Every one mentions to bring waterproofs but don't forget your shorts as it can be rather nice up here, I'm normally in my shorts before April and only stopped wearing them in November.

It's been really mild the last couple of weeks averaging about 10 degrees.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Every one mentions to bring waterproofs but don't forget your shorts as it can be rather nice up here, I'm normally in my shorts before April and only stopped wearing them in November.
@lorger You failed to mention that they are running shorts.:xgrin:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
what my itinerary should include
How long do you have available? If it's not very long, then don't try to do too much. If it's open-ended, well - the world's yours till you feel the need to go home! Our very first tour was Highlands and the Scottish coast, we left home in April and got back in July (or was it August? - I don't take much notice of a calendar these days!)
For my money, it's set off, and go where the wind blows. Stay for a few days if you want to, move on if you want to. In that area, you'll have a fantastic time whatever happens.

(But if you want some 'favourite spots', then for me, for starters, I'd go for a walk/climb up Stac Pollaidh and Cairn Gorm; camp at Clachtoll and Glenmore to do laundry & top up water, and at Morvich as a start point for going to Skye; visit the Highland Folk Museum at Newtonmore and, if you get that far east, Culloden Battlefield site. But that's just things that I've enjoyed; you might not like the same sorts of thing!)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
@lorger You failed to mention that they are running shorts.:xgrin:
Nope just shorts, although I do run in shorts all year round no matter what weather, I was out running today in T shirt and shorts was lovely and will cycle to work tomorrow morning in shorts, doesn't half wake you up at 5 am :)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We went to the Western Isles this April and May and we had fantastic weather. Not the norm apparently but very welcome. Anything less in the future will be a disappointment.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We got very close to being stuck in a blizzard in April 2012; but a couple of hours later the sun came out and the scenery was absolutely stunning.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We're looking to go up towards oban and Fort William stopping at Ayr craigie first
Looking at early October

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We married and honeymooned in Scotland 33 years ago in April and had to try and buy t/shirts as weather was so warm. I ended up with one with Scotland emblazoned on my chest.:xgrin:

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Just up the road for me but never tire of the Oban/Fort William areas and don't miss out on road to Mallaig, on to Skye if you fancy, stopping at Arisaig, especially if you are a Harry Potter fan. Port Appin, Applecross........too many to name and visit at one time. best to visit west coast when there are no midges.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes Loch Ness south shore bolskin house ruins ( burnt down ?) the graveyard opposite anyone staying there over nite is brave!!!! Aliester Crowley certainly found a good spot there !!!!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yes Loch Ness south shore bolskin house ruins ( burnt down ?) the graveyard opposite anyone staying there over nite is brave!!!! Aliester Crowley certainly found a good spot there !!!!

Next to a graveyard sounds perfect, quiet neighbours. I've never had any trouble from a dead person, but the living....well that's a different kettle of fish.
The UK in spring time is a lucky dip & Scotland is no different. One massive bonus is that if the weather plays ball, you'll have no worries about midges, it's mid to late May before they make an appearance.
Have a great time.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Just up the road for me but never tire of the Oban/Fort William areas and don't miss out on road to Mallaig, on to Skye if you fancy, stopping at Arisaig, especially if you are a Harry Potter fan. Port Appin, Applecross........too many to name and visit at one time. best to visit west coast when there are no midges.

When is the best time of year for a midge free trip

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
mid May to early September is the season to avoid. east coast is less affected, the freezing cold wind off the North Sea keeps them down.

whisky is the best medicin for them though, liberal doses taken internally and somehow they don't seem to be such a bother

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
When is the best time of year for a midge free trip
April/May or September/October. You may also get them in late May or up to mid September but they are not in the same horrible clouds as the worst periods in July and August.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Kintyre Peninsula in April is lovely - all the wildflowers, all colours on the roadsides, we've always been lucky with good weather when there in April and May.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We were in t-shirts in Fife in April 2015 then a week or so later it snowed on us at Loch ness shores campsite. Thats just Scotland and we love it. Doing our third tour up there next spring. Going May/June this time but thats only because we are away with friends in Prague towards the end of April so have had to delay scotland. We always go in April/May
The midges like the missus way too much for her liking. The odd one even finds her in April.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We enjoyed an open top bus in Edinburgh in early May 2013, it was beautiful weather.
By the time we had done Fort William, the Gr Glen and Cromerty (in variable weather) and were heading back around the 22nd May, it was snowing at Grant Town! and the gates were closed on the 'over the top' route to Balmoral.
Two days later at Pitlochry we were sitting out in really warm evening sun.

Just go for it and enjoy.

OP
OP
thIOM

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. We only have a week for this trip whilst our daughter is away on a ski-trip. My thoughts are to head up towards Inverness and then cut back across country to the west coast and spend alternate days wild camping and paid sites. Our elderly camper is not that great at hill climbing which is going to need some careful route choices. I would love to get to Applecross but I am a bit hesitant about the route over the top.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. We only have a week for this trip whilst our daughter is away on a ski-trip. My thoughts are to head up towards Inverness and then cut back across country to the west coast and spend alternate days wild camping and paid sites. Our elderly camper is not that great at hill climbing which is going to need some careful route choices. I would love to get to Applecross but I am a bit hesitant about the route over the top.

If you only have a week why not come to Dumfries and Galloway, lot less hills and still loads to do and see. You can see the IOM form certain parts :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back