Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hind
Just a thought David, would it not have been easier to have paid for them to go on a coach trip with Shearings around Scotland, I believe they cater for MIL & FIL :imoutahere:

hindsight Carol, Oh how I wish I had better access to that (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just a thought David, would it not have been easier to have paid for them to go on a coach trip with Shearings around Scotland, I believe they cater for MIL & FIL :imoutahere:
But then we wouldn't have been treated to this thread..... :imoutahere:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just before I go to bed, do you remember my angst yesterday about the blind, I know it seems a long time go, but it was only last night, well technically Bev broke it, but bless her today she found a 20p solution to the repair, that I am prepared to let go with the MH when we sell it, (y) best mod ever, and the blinds are now closer together than they were with the silly plastic, waiting to break, fitting Hymer fit :mad:

I both need and love my Bev in equal measures :):):):):):):):):):):)

IMG_1031.JPG
:):):):):):):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My wife's parents emigrated to Canada in 1965 and then my wife came back in 1972 and met me and stayed back in the UK. When we married after Christmas in 1974 I had only met him just before Xmas. That should have been warning enough! We had to make trips to Canada to stay with them and vice versa. These trips always started OK but always ended in grief because he was a grumpy old Scot who got very obstreperous when he had a drink. Having to bite my tongue for the sake of my wife and endure his rude outpourings was a real pain so I feel for you! At least you are making it amusing so it can't be all bad or its your way of getting it out of your system rather than storing it up ready for a big bust up!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Made me laugh David ! Sorry ! But loving the photos !!
I noticed all those funster stickers on your windows! Is that to remind you to keep smiling ! Even if through gritted teeth!!:LOL:

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning David :)

Can't believe your in laws are that age - they look great, although I appeciate that may be not want you want to hear ;)

Trip still looking & sounding great & gold star for you for appreciating Bev's engineering skills:LOL:

Keep smiling or baring your teeth (perhaps they won't be able to tell the difference) :D

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Just started reading this now. Utterly wonderful. You deserve a medal mate.
Brilliant read. We have been to many of the places you mention but only had to contend with rain and damp dog.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Today started well, as most days do :)

this is Durness at its best, sunshine and midge free (y)

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

then we move on, today my FIL decides he should wave to acknowledge those that stop on single track roads, unfortunately the roads are particularly busy today, so plenty of waves

the problem with that, firstly his waves resemble a hitler salute, secondly as a driver I feel I should acknowledge such manoeuvres, leaving me in a quandary, leave it to him and hope the other are not offended by the Nazi salute or wave as well and turn our MH into a weird waving machine

I decide to leave it to him and hope we never meet any of the drivers again (y)

we agree to stop at a bridge cant remember its name but you cant miss it, however Bev did completely miss us pulled in to a layby to wait for her, so we end up following for a change, that's fine until we come to every tiny junction when we find her parked, eventually she pulls far enough over that I leap past and continue the lead, alpha male and all that. peace is restored, hitler is happy beside me, only another 50 miles today (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That why you need LHD David, people will think "Hitler" is driving and you are just being taken for a ride, wagon drivers do a double take when they see that our driver is sat knitting "phew no she's not" its LHD.

Also I don't have to bother with all that waving lark as she is in the driving side, I have to keep telling her "look he waved and you didn't".

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
said bridge still no idea what its called, something beginning with K for anybody with decent internet access

we stopped here for breakfast as first option in Durness did not work out, we did however find Cocoa Mountain as good as ever, mahusive chocolate drinks and a box of 25 mixed truffles did it for me (y), photos to follow on that I was disctracted :)

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

this poor tree, most trees in Scotland are set at funny angles, but never seen a Rowan hanging on so hard

IMG_1043.JPG

lunch (late breakfast done we head on, hitler happily raising his arm to all, me slightly cringing every time he does

now he is back into fishing mode, he (allegedly) fishes regularly, so every single piece of water we see I get full on what rod, line, bait how far he would cast, what size fish he would catch etc etc et fUUUUcking cetera

to start with I genuinely try to interact, but having never fished, how dare I

luckily now only 20 miles to site for night (y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The bridge is the Kylesku , ......David........in a lovely part of the country.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think we are at Ardair, a lovely little campsite just north of Ullapool, £20 with electrics

So FIL offers to pay for pitch fees, not missing that chance so drag him in, he as ever insists on paying by card, rather than asking do they take, he will say, you do take cards don't you, well this one does, but for me I would rather give the poor sod cash, he doesnt need another 3% nicked off the fees and let him keep it tax free if he can, but no, Hitler wants to pay by card

By now he has moved to the fishing rods for sale, he has absolutely no intention of buying one but does a few practice casts while the owner watches in sheer disbelief, repeatedly saying pin number in here sir, while a small queue forms, I am now too embarrassed and leave him Bev and the poor site owner in shop together

I do wait and drive him to our pitches, of which we have a choice, mistake

I pull in to what I think will do nicely giving Bev choice of either side, she pulls up and we have enough intuition to nod and agree, to my right will do nicely

Why is she going there? Hitler enquires, because it suits and gives a nice view, why not the other side asks Hitler, get out and tell your daughter where you would like to be parked, don't tell me

With which he does, ignoring my reminder that the door step is retracted, despite it now being his job to remind me to retract it on moving, so he falls out of the door, I genuinely try to resist the inevitable laugh and fail :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

So Bev now relocates to the other side, after parking says what was that all about, I have no idea say I, but lets not give him anymore choices this holiday please (y)

tea consumed plus enough alchohol to cope with 2 more hours wth them both in ours, hurry up with that awning please Colin @ColinandDawn now just found enough internet to share my suffering

site is nice though

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

and then to end a weak but it will do for me tonight sunset

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Very entertaining David, you seem to be catching some really nice weather as well.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photos and expressive blogg!!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oops, just relayed the last few posts to Bev, apparently I have over done the Hitler reference, not sure if she is offended that I refer to her dad that way, but she seems to think some of you might be offended as well

I hope not, but doubt it somehow

But no more reference to Hitler now allowed, got to come up with a new association for tomorrow, assuming of course he doesn't see the light and change :D

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
David, out of interest what was it that you did that has made you have to endure such an arduous task? Come on tell no-one else will know.:rolleyes:
ps i love my new camera

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It usually takes a few days to relax into a holiday, your few day are now up, al will be good and FIL will be the perfect tourist from now on. :emo:

I'm sure you'll keep us entertained nonetheless.:active:

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Blimey @DavidG58 your stalking us :) tarbart discovery center falls of shin , had to do the o groats thing first time up here , Sango sands is nice ,We did Ullapool as well. In Skye now where would be good next , no idea here .

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Blimey @DavidG58 your stalking us :) tarbart discovery center falls of shin , had to do the o groats thing first time up here , Sango sands is nice ,We did Ullapool as well. In Skye now where would be good next , no idea here .

if you have never been, get across to Harris or any of the western isles from Uig, never been so cheap, best bit of UK IMO, will be there ourselves middle of next week (y)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Thanks (y) . The wave bit say its a Mussolini wave job done , loving the blog come thread .

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
But no more reference to Hitler now allowed, got to come up with a new association for tomorrow, assuming of course he doesn't see the light and change

I suggest you ask him if you can call him "your favourite father-in-law"

Regards,

Colin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, rain overnight, just brightening up now parking Ullapool, Bev and 'them' gone for more provisions in Tesco, I have just had a chat with @LDV400 nice to meet you again Sam and Viv (y):)

Then we move down to Gairloch, this could be hell, the midges have come out in force the last couple of days, although the views are amazing and I still think western Scotland is about as good as anywhere gets, the midges are really getting to me

upload_2016-8-26_11-15-56.png

we had been told midges don't come out in the rain, (lie), the don't fly if wind above 5mph (lie), these are real survivors up here, any chance of a meal they will walk if they have to :mad:

Best thing is they don't like sun, hot sun at least, so although fairly rare, we have had some decent weather so far, hoping for more :) but just checked BBC weather, not looking good further west, but they get it wrong more than right, so staying optimistic (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Fantastic! Loving the fuhrer waving and falling out motorhome...almost choked on my cup if tea. (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think we might have just found a layby used by @Jimbohorlicks on his Scottish travels, I tried to find it on google streetview when he posted then, but the tree was a give away when we got here :)

IMG_1070.JPG

then found a nice site in Gairloch, £19 / night with electrics

the view from the front of our pitch, been watching Gannets diving, one of lifes little pleasures, but I am (very) easily pleased

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

off to the right you would hav eseen Skye but for the clouds, off to the left the same but this time hiding the Torridon hills :)

going for a quick run through to Skye tomorrow to avoid the midges and straight off again, should be on Harris tomorrow night

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
David thoroughly enjoying your trip even if you aren't!! Can't think of anything worse than confined space with elderly parent let alone my late in laws! You are in line to be knighted I'm sure for your commitment to the elderly or perhaps even a sainthood, if there is such a word!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The radios, not really sure what has happened in FIL's past, but he insisted that MIL had to end anything with 'OVER' then to finish 'OVER and OUT' all pretty standard radio speak, the really humorous bit is he was totally convinced the radios had some kind of built in code, so if you didn't use those words it wouldn't transfer from one to the other

How is the radio saga going?

If you would like to assist your fil with proper radio procedures, you might advise him that saying "Over and out" is for muppets and ignorant screen play writers.

"Over" means 'I've said my bit and am handing the conversation over to you to reply and "Out" means we've finished the conversation - nothing more to be said for now.

Muppets who use the terms together are giving conflicting instructions to the recipient on the other radio but that seems par for the course for your fil. You have my sympathy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back