Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 610LE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Come Sunday and we will be starting our trip to Scotland. Hopefully we will be going up the west coast and back down the east coast taking in Mull, Skye, Outer Hebrides and the Orkneys. Although we would love to go to Shetland, I couldn't manage the 8hour ferry crossing.(Get seasick to easily). We are going to take it slowly and take as long as it takes, 3,4,5, months who knows:)
Wish us luck , I think we are going to need it!!!!!!!!

Linda

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm jealous, have a good trip, it should be midge-free but as always the weather will be... what it will be. I've had some great times up there in May but April might be a bit iffy, but you don't go to Scotland for the sun!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have a great trip, hoping to get up there myself soon. Maybe you can wait for a really flat sea and get to shetland too if you aren't in a rush. Or maybe not :roflmto: :sicker:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Don't think you need luck,whatever the weather it will still be stunning. Have a great trip and don't forget to pack your sense of humor....Martin(y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Take your waterproofs and your sun-cream, enjoy whatever Scotland throws at you. You'll have a fabulous time I know. Any cobwebs will be well and truly blown away!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It's sad to say bit I think the rest of the UK have seen more of the northern Scottish Islands than what we have. We have only ventured as far as Skye.
Take your midge cream with you. They were out early a few weeks ago at Loch Lomond.
Enjoy your trip and please do a blog of your travels.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It's sad to say bit I think the English have seen more of the northern Scottish Islands than what we have. We have only ventured as far as Skye.
Take your midge cream with you. They were out early a few weeks ago at Loch Lomond.

We're Welsh bru...... but just luuuuuuuurve Scotland!(y)(y)
And at any time of the year!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Apparently Smidge is required plus anti midge screens - normal fly screens are not sufficient. Have fun.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Have grest time, we are hopefully doing Skye in May, have been as far as Ullapool with Motorhome but Durness with the car.(y)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
It's sad to say bit I think the rest of the UK have seen more of the northern Scottish Islands than what we have. We have only ventured as far as Skye.
Scots can always go tomorrow but we all know tomorrow never comes :)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Horgabost campsite on the dunes on Harris - absolutely fantastic views especially in June when it's light nearly all the time. White sand, blue ocean and incredibly friendly people. (If you do make it to there make sure your thunder box is empty. You have to drive 7 miles to the nearest CDP )

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What a great plan, have you made plans for overnighting?

If you are not using sites, there are often dump facilities at ferry terminals, we found this very useful, although it is not guaranteed on the smaller ferry points

I am confident you will have a fantastic time, the views are amazing (y)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We love Scotland too. Have a wonderful time and don't forget to take some " Avon, Skin so soft". Good for the skin and the midgies hate it...:hi:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@lthoel2 have a fab time, I'd love to do that(y)

Pity to not visit Shetland though. I am a really bad sailor, we did an overnight to Bruges in a force 9 recently - the first time I have ever taken sea-sickness pills and they really really worked! (Kwells)

Hope you post updates & pics a la DavidG58 :)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Have a great time Linda (y)

By the way what is this Smidge stuff, is it the best repellent for the midges?

OP
OP
lthoel2

lthoel2

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 610LE
Exp
I'm a newbie
I should have known that things don't go to plan in this family. We are still at home (Sun). I had some fillings done at the dentist last week and Friday night I started with a raging toothache and it's not gone away. So going to ring them in the morning and hope I can be seen. Didn't fancy alot of travelling the way I was feeling. Hubby not impressed though, even though I showed him the snow further up north:rolleyes:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The little buggers will be around in May onwards till about Sept,mainly on the West side and near water.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Midges will be an issue in a few weeks and get worse while you are there. Smidge is, apparently, the best anti midge stuff.

Shame not to have been able to get away as planned but the weather will be wet and windy in W Scotland over the next few days - if you are flexible, I would wait until mid week or later and enjoy better weather as you drive up past Glasgow.

Re black waste, you are strongly encouraged not to use non-biological cassette chemicals as most waste points seem to feed into septic tanks or similar and they will be severely damaged if contaminated with nasty toilet stuff. Tourist info in Mull ask you to only put chemical waste into the loos at the campsite at Fionnphort. We were told similar things in Skye.I guess that it is the same for the other islands.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Just got back from Scotland, having stayed at Bunree (Onich) and Luss (Loch Lomond). :cry::cry::cry:
It was SO fabulous (lots of boaty fun was had by all), that I'm plotting our return next year. :) Who knew there was so much to see on all the wee islands? I've got 'nay bother' withdrawal symptoms, already.
Didn't notice any midges, but they were mentioned as being 'vicious' by the locals.
We used biological washing liquid, as recommended in our toilet cassette. Hopefully biologically friendly, but not very nose friendly, despite using air freshener!
Have a great time. (y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just got back from Scotland, having stayed at Bunree (Onich) and Luss (Loch Lomond). :cry::cry::cry:
It was SO fabulous (lots of boaty fun was had by all), that I'm plotting our return next year. :) Who knew there was so much to see on all the wee islands? I've got 'nay bother' withdrawal symptoms, already.
Didn't notice any midges, but they were mentioned as being 'vicious' by the locals.
We used biological washing liquid, as recommended in our toilet cassette. Hopefully biologically friendly, but not very nose friendly, despite using air freshener!
Have a great time. (y)

Hi Jeanette, just wondering if you know to leave a "seal" of fresh water in the toilet bowl, close the trap after flushing then flush another centimetre or so of water on top of the trap. This keeps the aromas below. I didn't know this or had forgotten and wondered why husband didn't empty the bowl properly!
:blush::unsure::clap2:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the loo tip Granjan. I never knew this either.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are three basic sites at Cliff, Valtos (Bhaltos), Cnip (Kneep) on the Isle of Lewis. All stunning beach side locations.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I should have known that things don't go to plan in this family. We are still at home (Sun). I had some fillings done at the dentist last week and Friday night I started with a raging toothache and it's not gone away. :rolleyes:

That's rotten luck. Hope they get you fixed today. Scotland is still here and a bit chilly but as lovely as ever. ;)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Hi Jeanette, just wondering if you know to leave a "seal" of fresh water in the toilet bowl, close the trap after flushing then flush another centimetre or so of water on top of the trap. This keeps the aromas below. I didn't know this or had forgotten and wondered why husband didn't empty the bowl properly!
:blush::unsure::clap2:
No, I didn't. Thanks! Will try this on our next trip in a fortnight. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back