Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

After reading a few of the posts on here I'm hoping someone may be able to help us please. We have only ever been up to Aviemore and Loch Ness in the car before and are quite new to motorhoming but have had a few trips out this year and spent 3 weeks touring France in Sept.

We have decided that we would like to go up to Scotland (weather pending of course) 27th Dec till the 2nd or 3rd Jan. Not sure about booking anywhere as we don't know if the weather will be ok to go so will probably just keep our fingers crossed, would you say not booking is a bit risky at this time of year or should we be ok?

We are happy to drive maybe 4 or 5 hours a day if need be spending 2 days getting there (staying 1 night at each campsite) and when we get to the campsite where we will be staying a few days we would like to be on a quiet campsite opposite a beach or loch, nice scenery, biking and lots of walks around. Would like a campsite that has toilets/showers/electric etc, it will just be me and hubby so prefer one that isn't geared up for kids or teenagers. An advantage would be a pub or village within walking or biking distance.

We have been to Scotland and around the lochs at this time of year before so we are aware of how cold it will be lol but our ideal new years eve for this year would be sat round a campfire just the two of us with a glass of champagne each lol. I'm not even sure if campfires on a beach are still allowed??? I know there are a few campsites that allow them?????

Not ready for wild camping yet so wandered if anyone has any ideas of where we can go thats suits our needs please????

Any ideas would be a great help as tbh I am getting a bit bogged down with all the research and not knowing Scotland very well isn't helping lol.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Michele

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I think ralph and Bev are going ot Aviemore We have been before but are going pre Christmas this year. Ralph and Bev are sitting it in Aviemore itself. Lovely area and great for a ski if the weather is good.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Link Removed

Yes we will be up there the same time as you. If you look on the link above it tells you what we are doing. Its the last post. We are looking forward to it. The site is a 10 min walk into Aviemore too. We have never taken the kids to a proper Hogmanay do before , but as they are older now we know they will enjoy it. We have done rallies before with them though , and when they were really young spent many a New Year just the two of us , with a bottle of bubbly.
The idea of being with the MH by a deserted loch , kids tucked up inside , sounds lovely. If we'd have had the MH, when the kids were little , instead of a caravan we would have done it. All wrapped up by a camp fire , peace and quiet under the stars , is just my cup of tea.

Ralph on the other hand is a true Scot , (although he doesnt have the accent anymore ) loves New Year . More than Xmas . So hes like a big kid this year, he cant wait for all the fun and revelery .
Over the last few years Aviemore has had a refurbishment. Its a proper little resort now , so we are told. We have never actually been before.
Theres bound to be snow up high , just hope its not too thick lower down....
Last year was the first time in donkey years that the site had been snowed under, literally .
We 've got all the gear now , just need 1 pair of moon boots for Isaac then we are set.
What ever you decide to do enjoy it , and if you do get up near where we are , look out for the fun flag , and come and see us !!
Have a wee dram , or 3 :winky:
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Bev

Yes we just fancied something quiet this year as we have had a few lively ones. I'm sure you will have a fab time in Aviemore. A couple of years ago we wanted to do something different and I did a bit of research and we ended up staying in Kingussie (think its about 20 mins from Aviemore but don't quote me) and we went to the torchlight procession at Newtonmore. Wow what an experience and everyone was so friendly. The villagers start at whichever side of the village they live at and a piper pipes them through the village, then they all meet in the middle and the pipers take you into a field where there are fireworks etc. We had a brilliant night and it was a wonderful experience and we hope to go back there for another nye one day.

Michele
:Smile:

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Already closed but thanks anyway Ehuplad :Smile:

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied, I have now got a list of 25 campsites that are open at Xmas/new year, with the help of this forum, a couple of other forums and also my own research. I just have to get them down to an even shorter list now lol. First thing will be to decide which region to go to, that might help a lot lol.

Will let you know when we decide in case any of you are at the same campsite and fancy meeting up for a wee dram :winky:

Once again thanks everyone for all your help.
Michele

Phil_Mart

Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 month
Wow, just spoken the the people at North Ledaig, what a helpful lady. It sounds a great idea to go there for new year, so we is ::bigsmile:

Probably aiming to get there mid afternoon on the 31st and stay over till Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to doing something totally different this new year, for a change :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back