Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Anyone on here got any tips for touring scotland for a week....Campsites,attractions etc wild camping????

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
Off to Lake District & Scotland in June, starting in Troutbeck then onto Ayr, Fort William Inverness Aberdeen Edinburgh & Durham but doing it over two weeks, first time in Scotland so doing a sighting run for future trips

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Off to Lake District & Scotland in June, starting in Troutbeck then onto Ayr, Fort William Inverness Aberdeen Edinburgh & Durham but doing it over two weeks, first time in Scotland so doing a sighting run for future trips

I'd cut your trip down a bit if I was you as all you'll do is spend time driving from A to B.

For first time in Scotland give D&G a try, we have everything here thats up north just smaller and quieter.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
The Lake District is a good stopover on route keswick c&cc is nice, or coniston c&m then head up to millarochy bay c&cc at loch lomond. Glencoe and bunree are also good.
Arisaig near oban is amazing beach with the best sunset ever, on my profile ?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'd cut your trip down a bit if I was you as all you'll do is spend time driving from A to B.

For first time in Scotland give D&G a try, we have everything here thats up north just smaller and quieter.
Two weeks is more time than I gave myself last Sept, and msb03 doesn't look to be as mad as my in that he's not going round the top, nor spending time on an Island. So as a "sighting trip" there will be plenty of time, without going too mad, to work out where you really want to go.

From what I saw last Sept, I'd probably stay to the upper eastern side now, but then I like wilder country, the west even above Inverness was a bit civilised

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
That's a to try in just a couple of weeks. Many people don't realise how large Scotland is.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Two weeks is more time than I gave myself last Sept, and msb03 doesn't look to be as mad as my in that he's not going round the top, nor spending time on an Island. So as a "sighting trip" there will be plenty of time, without going too mad, to work out where you really want to go.

From what I saw last Sept, I'd probably stay to the upper eastern side now, but then I like wilder country, the west even above Inverness was a bit civilised

have you possibly got your east and west confused? North west Scotland doesn’t get much less inhabited , east coast too bleak for us, although there are some very nice places too good never to visit ?

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Really depends what you're looking for but as mentioned above no need to drive hundreds of miles on your first trip, turn left at Gretna and enjoy D&G
I completely agree with you here Gerry, so much so that I actually feel sorry for those who shoot past the south of Scotland in their trek to the north.
You'd need to be a glutton for burning fuel & driving til your eyes are crossed.

Yes the highlands offer scenery which is stunning, but so do the lowlands as we call them.
I can travel out of my gate for 5 mins to be met with stunning scenery & grandeur, lochs & mountains abound, very light (if any) traffic, parking pretty much anywhere is a breeze & a real eye opener for our southern English cousins.

So no more than an hours journey from the England Scotland border & the sense of peace/ tranquility is amazing in some of D&Gs wild camping spots the silence is deafening.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
have you possibly got four east and west confused? North west Scotland doesn’t get much less inhabited , east coast too bleak for us, although there are some very nice places too good never to visit ?
Yep I do wonder why I get lost without a sat nav :( So yes I'd stay on the left side.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

I have to disagree, firstly they are coming from Somerset to the lakes so that's one day over and the same on the way back down so now down to 12 days. Troutbeck to Ayr another 4 hours drive so probably a day gone then a day to FW. I think you get my drift if he wants a driving holiday then go for it, if he want's a nice holiday while dipping his toes in to Scotland I'd either stay in the south area or by pass it all and drive as far north as he wants before starting to tour.

We're all different though and want different things from our holidays.

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
2 weeks in Scotland then staying with family just south of Durham for a few days after so probably 3 weeks away. Take the point of a lot of driving but thats the part I like best due to not be able to walk too far, as I said a sightng tour for future trips when we can take our time exploring places and going to the islands etc. Have done D+G in car and b&bs years ago and yes its stunning.

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
We love D&G (7 Staines) we are also going that way this year but first time in a camper.
Doing SWC300 as far as Ayr then hopefully hopping to an island then upto Oban then back down to finish inland section of the SWC300.
Agree there’s so much to see in Scotland .

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We are also fans of the Dumfries and Galloway area, in fact in typing this from the Isle of Whithorn where it’s pretty blowy...

I took this brief film from the car last August, peak holiday season, on the A747 towards Port William. It might give you a flavour of the scenery

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are also fans of the Dumfries and Galloway area, in fact in typing this from the Isle of Whithorn where it’s pretty blowy...

I took this brief film from the car last August, peak holiday season, on the A747 towards Port William. It might give you a flavour of the scenery

Is The Steam Packet still open?,,BUSBY.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
It certainly is - we are actually next door to it!

busy in there today with Sunday lunches. And they now have their own brewery 5 Kingdoms Brewery, also based on the isle (in the old Queens Hotel building)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
It certainly is - we are actually next door to it!

busy in there today with Sunday lunches. And they now have their own brewery 5 Kingdoms Brewery, also based on the isle (in the old Queens Hotel building)

RESULT! That's likely to be one of our regular haunts for our time off this year. Remember snorkelling off the rocks there last year and the formations under the crystal clear water were fantastic.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
RESULT! That's likely to be one of our regular haunts for our time off this year. Remember snorkelling off the rocks there last year and the formations under the crystal clear water were fantastic.
It’s great when the tide is in...but doesn’t look so pretty when the tide is out.

picture in my avatar is taken from our front window ??.

It’s a great place for kayaking, sailing, snorkelling and there is also a very active scuba diving club should that be your thing

like a lot of people, we’d been coming to Scotland for years and always headed North until 10 years ago when we discovered the beauty and quietness of D and G.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It’s great when the tide is in...but doesn’t look so pretty when the tide is out.

picture in my avatar is taken from our front window ??.

It’s a great place for kayaking, sailing, snorkelling and there is also a very active scuba diving club should that be your thing

like a lot of people, we’d been coming to Scotland for years and always headed North until 10 years ago when we discovered the beauty and quietness of D and G.

Don’t tell everyone ??

Yes Martin I think people get surprised when they visit D&G

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Well you’ve convinced us . We were going to try the Nc 500 but TBH I want to relax as well . D&G here we come and nearer to May I’ll be tapping you up for the very best sea views, sandy beaches for my dogs and pubs for us .

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Well you’ve convinced us . We were going to try the Nc 500 but TBH I want to relax as well . D&G here we come and nearer to May I’ll be tapping you up for the very best sea views, sandy beaches for my dogs and pubs for us .
You should still be ahead of the midge season, they usually get into their stride in mid to late may.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back