Rally Chat Scotland and Orkney June 2018 (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Thought I would put this up for discussion and any suggestions for good places to stay, especially on Orkney, also to see if anyone else is planning on being up that way from 20th June onwards. I've been to Skye a few times but not really north of there.

I'm going to Millport, Cumbrae for the 8th June weekend and from there going to friends in Kyles of Bute for a few days, after that I have no fixed plans other than generally heading north aiming to go to Orkney from about 23rd June for about a week as want to explore, walk and also have a look at the archaeology.

Any ideas welcomed.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
We went to Orkney a few years ago and really loved it. The Archaelogy is amazing, and the pace of life (and traffic density) more reminiscent of UK in the 1950s! Before we went, we were concerned about MHs and single track roads, but there are numerous passing places, and it is all so open that you can easily see oncoming traffic.

We stayed in Kirkwall at the Pickaquoy campsite. This is within easy walking distance of the town - a pleasant paved walk around a man-made lake. Also just next to the leisure centre. The campsite was basic, but had everything we needed. Everything was easy to get to, so we stayed the whole time in one place.

Have fun - you will really enjoy it!

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
We went to Orkney in the 80’s for a bike rally - absolutely loved it. There is so much to see, don’t miss visiting the Italian Chapel (although I believe some thieving scrotes have robbed some of the panels)
I priced up going with our moho last year and was put off by the ferry prices :shake:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We took the boat to Orkney as foot passengers and did the bus tour. was pretty interesting.

Several of us have vowed togo back over for longer next time with the vans but it won't be this year for me. We are heading back to The Western Isles in summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sue+dogs
May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the tips everyone, the ferry prices are pretty steep, the Pentland ferries appear to be a bit cheaper.
@revolver the campsite sounds just what I need.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Went to orkney last year..there is a campsite just outside Stromness..didn't stay on it though, but it looked like it had all necessary facilities..Orkney was wonderful and the Italin chapel a must see!

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I think that the RET fares are being rolled out for Shetland and Orkney starting this year

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Thanks for the tips everyone, the ferry prices are pretty steep, the Pentland ferries appear to be a bit cheaper.
@Revolvor the campsite sounds just what I need.

We took an early Pentland Ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope. We travelled up the previous day and stayed at a site about 1 mile from Gills Bay Ferry Terminal.

It is VERY BASIC - just a small bungalow with a gravel hard-standing, EHU and basic loos/showers. However, it was extremely convenient for the ferry, and the views out to Stroma are stunning.

This Link is to a "Rotatable" Google Street View of the site at KW1 4YL:

https://goo.gl/maps/VyX3Fh3sUNM2

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
@Sue+dogs I assume from your avatar that you will have canine company!

We had a slight problem with our dog on the ferry. Our dog (a Lurcher) is nervous about being left alone in the MH. We were told she would have to travel on the deck, but the weather was atrocious! Rather grudgingly, we were told we could take her into the lounge, as long as we sat by the door, and didn't take her into the cafe.

On the return journey, we didn't want the hassle of negotiating for her to be allowed inside, so after we boarded, we just closed the blinds and skylights, and my wife stayed in the van with the dog. Very illegal, I know, but it saved us a lot of trouble.

OP
OP
Sue+dogs
May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013

We had a slight problem with our dog on the ferry. Our dog (a Lurcher) is nervous about being left alone in the MH. We were told she would have to travel on the deck, but the weather was atrocious! Rather grudgingly, we were told we could take her into the lounge, as long as we sat by the door, and didn't take her into the cafe.

On the return journey, we didn't want the hassle of negotiating for her to be allowed inside, so after we boarded, we just closed the blinds and skylights, and my wife stayed in the van with the dog. Very illegal, I know, but it saved us a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the advice, mine are fine in the van, one of the reasons I looked at Pentland was the trip times being shorter.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The orkney isles are on my to do as well... its just a matter of making a decision and doing it :D
There was some discussion about the prices last year i remember...
Im not sure the private independant company runni g out of gills bay benefited from the subsidy but it was mentioned that their prices at least kept the main operators a bit more competitive..
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....y-fares-to-be-slashed-next-year-1-4539029/amp

Andy..

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊

{{chuckling}}. Well done for admitting that! It is just the sort of thing we would do - our rescue girl gets very worried being in any vehicle by herself and that’s put us off making plans which include ferries where you’re meant to leave the dog alone.

:mm:

OP
OP
Sue+dogs
May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Well I'm now booked on Pentland ferry on 25th June returning to the mainland on 1st July. I'm booked to stay at Birsay hostel campsite for 3 nights and then 3 nights at point of Ness. Both council sites with reasonable facilities. Ferry was £140 return at the moment for camper between 5 and 6 metres. If the subsidy comes in by then I will get a refund.
If anyone is up that way and fancies a trip to Orkney that's where I'll be.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We travelled up the previous day and stayed at a site about 1 mile from Gills Bay Ferry Terminal.

It is VERY BASIC - just a small bungalow with a gravel hard-standing, EHU and basic loos/showers. However, it was extremely convenient for the ferry, and the views out to Stroma are stunning.

This Link is to a "Rotatable" Google Street View of the site at KW1 4YL:

https://goo.gl/maps/VyX3Fh3sUNM2

We've stayed there as well when our children were small. It was very basic but the kids loved it and it was cheap (well it was then, don't know about now.)

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Birsay campsite is great. Reasonably priced for full facilities. The showers and toilets are in a separate newish portacabin building but they are immaculate. There is a campers kitchen in the main hostel building with tea, coffee etc as well as all the washing up liquids provided. Easy walk from there to Birsay itself with a very good café on the way down with great views of the coastline and island.
Point of Ness site is more basic in comparison but you can watch the ferries coming and going from it as well as an easy walk into Stromness.
Enjoy !!!!

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs

What a shame when Calmac are so obliging. Thanks for the heads up as we plan an Orkney visit next Spring and our boy wont be left. How did your wife cope in the van(y)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
How did your wife cope in the van(y)

She was fine, though I was worried about how she would fare if the weather was bad. She just sat and read a book. A lot of people who had (sensible) dogs had shut their blinds to give them more privacy, anyway. We also shut the skylight blinds to make sure she was not seen by anyone from above. Both Wife and dog were pleased to see me when I re-joined them at the end of the journey!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back