SCOTLAND A83 Rest & Be Thankful CLOSED (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Landslip closes A83 at Rest And Be Thankful in Argyll

Rest and Be Thankful

More than 1,000 tonnes of debris fell onto the carriageway overnight
The A83 has been closed in both direction in Argyll after a landslip resulted in more than 1,000 tonnes of debris covering the carriageway.
BEAR Scotland said staff were at the Rest And Be Thankful and would begin a clearance operation when it was safe.
They said the Old Military Road, which runs parallel to the A83, was also being assessed to see if it was safe to use as a diversion.
Drivers are currently being advised to take a 60-mile diversion route instead.
BEAR said ferry options were also available to travellers via Western and CalMac Ferries.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Still better than the usual umpteen miles of diversion that you usually need to use when it has been blocked in the past.
They've been using the old road when the A83 is blocked since 2013 following resurfacing \ redevelopment work during late 2012.
As you say, the other alternative is a 60 mile detour.
Father used to tell stories about cycling up the Drovers Road before the A83 was opened (early 1940's).:eek:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The first time I drove up the Rest & Be Thankful A83 (late 70s) I got to the top to be met by a WW2 German motorcycle with the soldier in full uniform, he gave us a perfect heil Hitler salute, leaving myself & my girlfriend a little bemused.
Turns out that they were filming a movie & the area was doubling as Germany, all rather surreal.
Got a photo of the guy somewhere, must look it out.

I've had to do the detour when landslips have occured & its a nightmare.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We drove the old military road in the pouring rain up to the carpark in my Austin Healey Sprite when we did a time trial there. I remember it getting more than a bit lairy over the bridge and around the hairpin when you have crap wipers and can see sod all a few feet in front of you.

I seem to remember a local farmer built a temporary road to avoid a landslip and made a fortune out of it some years back.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We drove the old military road in the pouring rain up to the carpark in my Austin Healey Sprite when we did a time trial there. I remember it getting more than a bit lairy over the bridge and around the hairpin when you have crap wipers and can see sod all a few feet in front of you.
So it wisnae you stopped a couple of years back doing over a ton up The Rest then?:eek:;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Is the military road that more or less follows the A83 from the south up to the Rest & be Thankful car park normally closed by gates?. I remember seeing a locked gate( at both ends), which prohibited access from the car park to head south, which was a shame at the time as it looked inviting.
LES

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
So it wisnae you stopped a couple of years back doing over a ton up The Rest then?:eek:;)

It felt bloody fast at the time but I suspect if there was film of our runs up to the carpark you would say, I thought they were supposed to be gunning it. :LOL:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is the military road that more or less follows the A83 from the south up to the Rest & be Thankful car park normally closed by gates?. I remember seeing a locked gate( at both ends), which prohibited access from the car park to head south, which was a shame at the time as it looked inviting.
LES

That's the one, and it's opened up for car club and speed trials events at various time when it's not require to get around landslides

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back