Scorching smell - like hot iron on cotton.... Combi 6 E

Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Being cooler here in the UK at the moment.... I tend to keep my heating on 24/7.... 16/18 deg during the day... and 10/12 deg throughout the night....

Because of this ...... the water tends to heat-up by default... as it would... and stay hot.... mostly..

However, when I "pop" the water heater on - to make sure it's still hot enough to shower.... and it isn't... i.e the icon flashes... and the Truma fires up....

On the odd occasion, there is a distinct scorching smell that I cannot pin down.... Obviously, something is getting v.hot around the Combi... and I then get an error msg... saying .... "fan blocked".... but it isn't....

Usually rectified by "turning water/heating off and setting the "vent" function to max (10).. Oh! and occasionally running off some v.hot water.

My initial thoughts are.....

As I have the heating on 24/7.... the "cavity" area where the heater sits (under dinette bench seat) gets rather warm... I assume this because on the "odd" occasion I get that error msg...

I'm considering creating some sort of ventilation to the paneling of the bench dinette seat - there's plenty of scope to do so...

My thoughts being this will keep the "cavity" at a more ambient temp and allow the warm air to enter the living space...

My other thought is.... the Boiler needs a "de-coke"... (I have limescale on taps and in kettle)

What do you folk reckon?.... Heater is a Truma Combi 6 (E)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1999
Which fan? There are two - one that blows into the burner entraining gas as it does so and one that draws warm air from the heater and forces it though the ducting to various outlets in the van. I suspect it's the latter that is blocked.

OP
Fletton
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Which fan? There are two - one that blows into the burner entraining gas as it does so and one that draws warm air from the heater and forces it though the ducting to various outlets in the van. I suspect it's the latter that is blocked.

@tonyidle ... From what I can see ... neither are blocked.... hence my comment ... getting too warm in the combi “space” making the boiler “think” that the air intake is blocked... i.e. the air being sucked in is hot hot hot...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1999
@tonyidle ... From what I can see ... neither are blocked.... hence my comment ... getting too warm in the combi “space” making the boiler “think” that the air intake is blocked... i.e. the air being sucked in is hot hot hot...
How does it get air? There should be quite a large area intake to the seat base. If there isn't l expect you're correct.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have the boiler on our Exsis in the same place and there is a vent in the side of said seat around about 150mm x 300mm h and you are right it does circulate warm air around,we have occasionally had that scorching smell but I put it down to a bit of dust getting in the pipes and burning off.

Jan 28, 2008
walthamstow east london
Funster No
MH
renault burstner delphin
Exp
7 years campers before that
2 ours is under the bed and we get a smell but mostly when we set it on 60° for hot water we've always assumed it's just dust

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
We also get a similar smell when on 60 degrees. Dealer said it was normal. No error messages though.

OP
Fletton
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
2 ours is under the bed and we get a smell but mostly when we set it on 60° for hot water we've always assumed it's just dust

Your area under the bed is far bigger than where mine sits.... Mine's in a relatively "small" space... and yes your's could be dust - and dead skin!! :whistle:

OP
Fletton
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We have the boiler on our Exsis in the same place and there is a vent in the side of said seat around about 150mm x 300mm h and you are right it does circulate warm air around,we have occasionally had that scorching smell but I put it down to a bit of dust getting in the pipes and burning off.

Thanks for that... info on size.... (y)

Now to find something "pretty"to form a vent or two.... I was thinking... two ... one low.. one high...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have a standard round vent direct to outside underneath the combi. There is also a rectangular vent to inside habitation area on the seat base.

OP
Fletton
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We have a standard round vent direct to outside underneath the combi. There is also a rectangular vent to inside habitation area on the seat base.

I'll have a look under Moho... But i'm on a double floor... so not holding breath..