Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I've recently bought a scooter for taking with us but im undecided whether to put the scooter in the garage and the pushbikes on the back or do it the other way round
When I bought the scooter I collected it with the van and although it goes in the garage I was nervous about securing it and doesn't leave a lot of room for other things such as chairs table etc

I've seen a few decent priced second hand scooter racks advertised on ebay but typically theyre all miles away from me :(

Just wondered who carried a scooter with them and which method you chose and if you carry scooter on the rear how do you find it

Not in a position to buy a new rack at £400 at the minute so if anyone has a second hand unit for sale I may be interested

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i carry my m,bike inside . inside out of mind and sight .
never liked carrying m,bikes outside . i do have a klip on off for emergency pickups of m,bikes . its handy but inside is better . out of the rain or sand storms etc . my little dax almost lives in the back of mine . mind does a few miles in winter when we are away. did a thousand mile on it last winter in spain .

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Can I ask how you secure it? ...i think the previous owner of my van had carried a bike in it before as there's two hooks attached to the rear wall but im worried that should I brake suddenly and the bike move that it would pull the bolts through the back wall

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have a couple of rings bolted to the flor either side of the m,bike then ratchet strap it . been doing it 14 yrs and as,nt come loose yet. put bike on main stand first .
you can buy a front wheel thingy ,drive in jobby . then do as i do.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Ah that's what I had thought of as the floor has a steel box frame underneath it that I could bolt rings too mmmm food for thought

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I know somebody who has a scooter/motorbike rack in his back garden wants about £100 for it but it is in kent

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Rear axle weight issues make the bike in garage best (leaverage effect) if not, as some bikes stink of petrol, outside can be better.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been carrying motorbikes for years tried every way and inside is definitely best. Just fit a couple of eyes somewhere and ratchet the front down once loaded its that easy. Beats trailers frames and racks hands down. Currently carry a 650 Kawasaki Versys in the garage.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Cool well seems inside is the best option
Although registered in 2012 the scooters as new having only done 5 km so no smell of fuel etc to worry about i have some strong anchor rings I can bolt through the floor with plates behind them and should be fine ....only weighs 80kg too so weight shouldn't be an issue and I suppose if inside I can still tow if required :)

Guess il have to stop carrying so much junk in the garage lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back