Scooter problem! (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Hi hopefully I can gain some information from someone. We bought a Peugeot tweet 125 last week off gumtree the guy had jumped it off to get it going as it had been in his garage for a year( his sisters)
everything seemed to work a price was agreed inc new battery inc proof no finance or insurance claims.
Picked bike up and all well for 4 days!
Yesterday scooter wouldn’t start, when I looked only showing 0.45 volts so dead battery!
So took battery off my motorcycle....Nothing (13.2v) so removed body work to find fuses and main 20amp fuse blown great I thought put a new fuse in and try again the starter is now spinning but will not start!
My next thoughts are:
1: check for spark
If no spark check side stand/brake connections( you have to apply brake to start)
2: fuel!
But this still won’t help finding why battery has failed , check rec/reg. I enjoy messing with motorcycle’s but scooters I’ve know idea. Sorry for the long post but if I can get it going if only to get it to a garage to have it checked over don’t want to buy a battery only for it to go dead again.

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
I reconnected the lock on-off switch still no joy, I’m going to take battery back tomorrow to see if I can get another one at least then it can be used to trace problem then out back on charge🤞🏼
Its just knowing what wires to check!😂
Just odd that’s the scooter worked fine for 4 days then battery dead! Wish it had a kick start. Thanks fir the reply👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I would first put a meter on battery +ve terminal to earth to check resistance then isolate circuits via the fuses. If 20A fuse has blown then there must have been a serious short to the chassis.
The scooter isn't much different to a mbike. Major difference is the transmission.
It could be a cable has chafed to the chassis or an electrical item failed.

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Rushing last night put battery back wrong way round wonder if that blew fuse🤷‍♂
I’ll try and find a wiring diagram that. Can follow 😂. Thanks

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Quick update, took battery back to shop they tested it found it to be knackered . None in stock so one on order, tried my battery and engine turning but no spark so put everything back carefully checking side stand and brake light and unlock switch all working as they should it now sets fine.
Put volt meter across battery 12.6v once started went upto 14.5v so assume it’s charging system is working. I can’t Rev the engine to see if the volts rise and fall as it wants to propel its self forward.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
If the scoot has a centre stand put it on that and it should lift the rear wheel off the ground. It can be revved then and the rear wheel will turn according to revs.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
If the scoot has a centre stand put it on tht and it should lift the rear wheel off the ground. It can be revved then and the rear wheel will turn according to revs.

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Yes my lads bike is constantly connected to optimate, mines are k as I use it most days but might have to get wife one fir her scooter👍🏻

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Quick update, took battery back to shop they tested it found it to be knackered . None in stock so one on order, tried my battery and engine turning but no spark so put everything back carefully checking side stand and brake light and unlock switch all working as they should it now sets fine.
Put volt meter across battery 12.6v once started went upto 14.5v so assume it’s charging system is working. I can’t Rev the engine to see if the volts rise and fall as it wants to propel its self forward.
Lift the back wheel on the centre stand, or some timber, just hold on tight to make sure it doesn't make a bid for freedom.
Mike

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Petrol goes stale over time and loses it's oomph. Put some fresh petrol in the bike.

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
New battery in, checked voltage 12.78
Turned ignition on 12.5( all lights on) started fine voltage rose straight to 14.5 and stayed between 14.4-14.55 when revs where given. Yes very valid point about petrol . Found out last night the scooter has done 1900 miles not 580 as stated in the advert! Think he looked at the trip meter my fault I should have checked the service book( 2 stamps)🤦🏼‍♂️

Jun 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
peugeot tweet 125cc
Hi I just bought 2014 peugeot tweet 125cc where does the seat switch harness go has noticed it was disconnect and I can't seem to find where it connects to also checked spark and it has some spark also where are the fuses on these please turns over won't start

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back