Scooter on rack. Anyone drive with one? (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Done the calculations including the overhang so I know it is possible for our Dethleffs to carry a rack and small scooter/motorbike. Combined weight being about 130kgs. I will need the towbar reinforced by the supplier as it is currently only rated to 100kgs. We have considered trailers of all varieties for two wheels and four wheels. We have considered A frames as well. We have discounted all forms of pedal cycles. So, my questions are to anyone else who drives a 4250kgs A class / coachbuilt motorhome with a 2.4m overhang, with a scooter on a rack - what is the driving experience like? (We have Dunlop air assist suspension.) Are we likely to lose traction on the front wheel drive? (Front axle about 78kgs lighter). How difficult is it to put something like a Honda 125 onto the rack?
Your views will be gratefully received.

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Chaumo,
Did look for this post elsewhere, before posting.
Anyway .....

We have a Hymer 698 with a Honda Vision 110 on a rack at the back.
Had it for over a year now with the longest trip to Spain and back last year and
the handling is fine considering the long overhang. We also have air suspension on the rear suspension which does seem to make a big difference.
Previously we towed our Scooter using an Easylifter rig which served us well for well over 7000 miles, but so much prefer the rack for for ease and speed in getting the Scooter on and off, less securing and strapping required, less moving parts to worry about, less of an extension at the back.

Yes I dare say the Easylifter made more sense from a weight distribution point, but the rack wins hands down in every other way.
Just back from a camping trip to Ravensglass in the Lakes and the very long narrow and windy roads needed to get there and have to say I was extremly pleased with the overall handling.

Pics attached - hopefully (first post)
Rack.jpg
Easylifter.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You've obviously done all the calculations to check that the extra weight of the scooter doesn't overload the rear axle.

As I understand, SV Tech have a calculation which will tell you if you are unloading your front axle by an unacceptable amount. Suggest you use the SV Tech calc to check.

I have a 4250kg chassis and carry a 130kg Honda scooter in the garage (1m behind the rear axle) and don't notice any adverse handling problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back