Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Seeing i have the "A" on my license, that allows me to ride a (cant remember) BHP machine, i am assuming carrying a passenger, are there some suggestions for what is good/bad etc.
We only want it for bimbling about when we park the MH, and a bit of commuting (about ten miles a day), al, advice appreciated.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If it is a full Cat A with no restriction code afterwards then you can ride any motorcycle/scooter you want with a pasenger.....If you have restriction codes (numbers) then I cannot remember what number is which restriction.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Rick

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Rick says...

This from the latest DVLA updating mails:

P Mopeds with an engine size of up to 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h

A1 Light motorcycles with an engine size of up to 125 cc and a power output of up to 11 kW (14.6 bhp)
A Medium-sized motorcycles up to 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power to weight ratio of up to 0.16 kW/kg
A Motorcycles with a sidecar and a power to weight ratio of up to 0.16 kW/kg
A Any size motorcycle, with or without a sidecar if you have completed the large motorcycle Direct Access Scheme
21*
*You can ride a large motorcycle at any age two years after passing a test on a medium-sized motorcycle.

As to what.. Two up, ten miles.. I would suggest a minimum of a 250cc

A few reasons.. Although a smaller bike will do the job it will struggle if you encounter any sizable hills
Be uncomfortably slow on major roads and have difficulty keeping up with faster moving traffic ( can be even more dangerous than going too fast ! )
And the best one of all.............
125's are much sort after.. They retain a very high resell value so you will end up paying through the nose for not a lot..
A decent 250 ( even something like an old Honda 250 Dream ) will likely not have had too hard a life, is cheap to run, easy to get spares for, and will cost very little ( compaired to other options ) in initial outlay

If you have not ridden a bike for many years, a 250 should not get you in too much trouble either as chances are it will have only about 20 BH to play with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just checked the license, and it is "A" with no codes or anything else. So am I right in assuming that it is up to 33bhp with a passenger?.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked the license, and it is "A" with no codes or anything else. So am I right in assuming that it is up to 33bhp with a passenger?.
a full A licence without codes is unrestricted.......ride what the hell you like. :thumb:

A Any size motorcycle, with or without a sidecar if you have completed the large motorcycle Direct Access Scheme
21*

Jaws list is the current list for new-ish riders.......

you must have taken a bike test years ago and it doesnt apply.

took mine back in July 1975

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As PJ says :thumb:
Wanna buy a Blackbird then ?? :winky: